WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    WS Editors: 2000 Piedmont Retrospective?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WS Editors: 2000 Piedmont Retrospective?
 Login/Join 
posted
Attn: Thomas Matthews, Bruce Sanderson, et al,

Will there be a 2000 Piedmont Retrospective Tasting published in the near future? WS has always been pretty good at doing looks back at top vintages and wines ten years after the fact, and I've yet to see 2000 Barolo and Barbaresco revisited. I think this is especially important due to the acclaim placed on the vintage by WS.

I realize that there is a transition period with Bruce Sanderson picking up from James Suckling, so perhaps it was already in the works and needs to be re-done with Bruce's notes.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.: I can't revisit the old thread for info as it has been deleted (in case the information was in there).

Posts: 10955 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to pile on, I once asked James Suckling if he was planning a Bordeaux 2000 retrospective in 2010 and he said "You bet".

These are worthwhile for a lot of reasons.

Posts: 1050 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that they will do it, if just for the chance to challenge JS's inflated scores. Popcorn

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:
And to pile on, I once asked James Suckling if he was planning a Bordeaux 2000 retrospective in 2010 and he said "You bet".

These are worthwhile for a lot of reasons.

I would be interested in Molesworth's thoughts on 2000 Bordeaux.

I have zero interest in what Sanderson has to say.

Posts: 30417 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Attn: Thomas Matthews, Bruce Sanderson, et al,

Will there be a 2000 Piedmont Retrospective Tasting published in the near future? WS has always been pretty good at doing looks back at top vintages and wines ten years after the fact, and I've yet to see 2000 Barolo and Barbaresco revisited. I think this is especially important due to the acclaim placed on the vintage by WS.

I realize that there is a transition period with Bruce Sanderson picking up from James Suckling, so perhaps it was already in the works and needs to be re-done with Bruce's notes.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.: I can't revisit the old thread for info as it has been deleted (in case the information was in there).

+1

I enjoyed JS's enthusiasm for wine but I didn't always agree with his evaluations, so I'm interested in seeing how BS evaluates the wines from this vintage now that they have some age on them. Plus I have a lot of 2000 barolo in the cellar and it's time to reassess what I have. So bring it on!

Posts: 5213 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here, I'll give you guys my retrospective on the vintage. I've enjoyed every 2000 Barolo I opened. Not a single wine was closed and I have been drinking them regularly since release. Not typical wines, but still delicious. Smile

Posts: 10311 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:

You know where to look for that. Wink

Frankly, I want to read the retrospectives from the originator of the reviews.
Provides needed (certainly desired) continuity.

Posts: 15767 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I have zero interest in what Sanderson has to say.
Really? I have enjoyed his blogs on Piedmont so far. I like his writing style better than Suckling. Straight forward and just about the wine.

Posts: 6605 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not followed Sanderson before, so I really cannot relate to his reviews. I'll give sanderson some time and see how he does. Granted, I will not be making any buying decisions based on his recommendations until I am comfortable with his track record.

I would personally be interested in seeing a retrospective on 2000 Piedmont as I missed that vintage and it would be helpful in terms of making limited selections going forward. However, unless Suckling has already done it/or is willing to do it now, it will have little value.

I have followed Molesworth for some time and feel more comfortable with him. I would like to see a Retrospective tasting of midlevel classified 2000 bordeaux and below as those are the most likely to be ready to drink now or shortly in the future. Any chance that we might get such a retrospective?

Thanks in advance.

G

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Executive Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
Vintage retrospectives can be useful for critics and consumers alike, and we will continue to pursue them in every important region, both verticals from high-quality producers and horizontals from significant vintages. I can't promise anything specific at this point, but the 2000s from both Piedmont and Bordeaux are on naturally our list.

Posts: 297 | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

if you need any help, I'm sure we can round up a few people to offer their assistance. Big Grin

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Matthews:
Vintage retrospectives can be useful for critics and consumers alike, and we will continue to pursue them in every important region, both verticals from high-quality producers and horizontals from significant vintages. I can't promise anything specific at this point, but the 2000s from both Piedmont and Bordeaux are on naturally our list.

any updates on both Bordeaux and Piedmont?

Posts: 1753 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice dumpster dive

Posts: 1050 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely like to see a 2000 Piedmont retrospective, as I have several singletons from that vintage.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3255 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They changed the 2000 Piedmont vintage from 100 to 93 awhile back after Suckling left. Its the right call although I may have gone even lower.

Posts: 6605 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post