WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Prevail from Ferrari Carano
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prevail from Ferrari Carano
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any experience with these? I've got the beginnings of verticals (2004 to 2008) of both the Prevail West Face and Back Fourty offerings but haven't opened anything and figure they need more time. Just curious...

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1943 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We tasted a couple of the 2006s around this time last year- they definitely need time. I was impressed:

2006 Ferrari-Carano Cabernet Sauvignon Prevail Back Forty - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (10/8/2011)
TNs: Ferrari-Carano Visit: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon (French clones 337 & 338) from a 40-acre block of the Rock Rise vineyard at an elevation of 1,100 feet. Aged for 20 months in 80% new French oak, and another 14 months in bottle. 14.9% abv. Purple/crimson color. Aromas of espresso, blackberry, violets, cassis and black cherry. Full-bodied with firm tannins, yet has a velvety texture and is well-balanced. Flavors of mocha, black fruit, cherry and red currants. Long finish. Wow- I wasn't expecting a wine this good here. 93-94 pts. (93 pts.)

2006 Ferrari-Carano Prevail West Face - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (10/8/2011)
TNs: Ferrari-Carano Visit: 64% Cabernet Sauvignon and 36% Syrah from west-facing slopes of the Look Out vineyard. Aged 20 months in French oak, 60% of which was new, with an abv of 14.8%. Inky crimson color. Notes of florals, red and black fruits. Full-bodied, with firm, drying tannins and flavors of red fruit, cassis and plums. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It was a limited sample, sure, but impressive enough that I've kept my eye open for them.

Posts: 1597 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Have had both of these ('04 I believe) within a year or 2 and I remember 2 things: Delicious and gobs of tannins. As your lawyer, I advise you to continue to hold.

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 390 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
Mark,

Have had both of these ('04 I believe) within a year or 2 and I remember 2 things: Delicious and gobs of tannins. As your lawyer, I advise you to continue to hold.

Thank you counselor! Cool

Posts: 1943 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino,
I bought half a case of the inaugural 2003 Back Forty upon release in the summer of 2006 and have been opening one every two years. Just had my forth bottle and have to say each one has been better than the last. I've found them to be very steak friendly, and the tannins quite smooth now. Fruit still a very big part of the profile. I don't know if I'll wait to finish off the other two since I liked it so much this year, but I'm confident it will hold if I do keep it.

Posts: 152 | Location: Los Angeles area | Registered: Nov 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

posted Hide Post
I had the 2003 West Face yesterday and thought it was excellent. Talked to the FC winemaker who was pouring it and he suggests to still hold all other vintages.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post