WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Sandy and NY/NJ wine stores
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sandy and NY/NJ wine stores
 Login/Join 
posted
I was looking to do a little wine shopping today and according to Wine Searcher Pops in NY had one of the wines I was interested in. After a couple unsuccessful attempts to go to their website, it occured to me that it might be done due to Sandy. Anyone know if Pops did not fair well during the store and if there are other wine stores in the region that might have been hard?

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quote from another wine discussion board.

<< I spoke to Michael Crafa at Pop's Wines in Island Park today. They got power and telephone service back on Wednesday and are open for business. Their website is still down as it is serviced by the local cable provider. The website may not be available for another week. But anyone wishing to reach Pop's can call (516) 431-0025.

Michael assured me that customers who previously purchased wines from Pop's have nothing to worry about. The wines purchased by customers awaiting shipment are stored in the warehouse on the second floor (along with incoming wines). There was no water damage in the warehouse area. Pop's personnel also got an electric generator operating on the day after the storm to keep the cooling equipment in the warehouse running. There was some very modest water damage on the first floor in the inexpensive/jug wine section, but the fine wines section of the store had no water damage.>>

Posts: 2274 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Pape. Good to know I don't order a lot from Pops but they've been good to deal with and glad to hear they came out relatively unscathed. I hope other wine stores in the area faired as well.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an ordeal. We ended up closed for 11 days.

I saw that Pasanella, a store downtown Manhattan, is finally back to "normal."

I wish all of the LI/Queens/NJ stores the best. I hope no one goes out of business because of this.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 723 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:

I saw that Pasanella, a store downtown Manhattan, is finally back to "normal."

I wish all of the LI/Queens/NJ stores the best. I hope no one goes out of business because of this.

hope you get back on yer feet soon.

3 of the retail stores near me couldn't even get inventory even if they were open.

but even so they tell me that business def took a hit =(

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11562 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tried checkin in on pops on a few of my trips into long beach post sandy. Long Beach Road is shut down in numerous areas and traffic has been rerouted each trip I have made (different reroutes as well). Spoke to them on the phone they say they are opened and recovered, havent physically been there yet. Dont frequent many other south shore wine shops being a north shore resident. if sandy happened over the summer I think the shops (and some of our cellars) would have been hit much much harder.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:

But still managed to send out excellent e-mail offers every day. Winner

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post