WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What was Hannibal Lecter's choice of wine with liver?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was Hannibal Lecter's choice of wine with liver?
 Login/Join 
posted
In the book "Silence of the Lambs", Lecter said he'd once eaten a census taker's liver with some fava beans and what wine?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the movie it was a "nice Chianti." Different in the book? I can't remember!

Posts: 335 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Aug 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chianti, in the movie anyway.

I think he mis-pronounces it in the movie.

Posts: 8637 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always pass on the liver, it tastes to salty to me.

I don't believe in anything, and that makes me stronger than you think."

Posts: 43 | Registered: Sep 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far no correct answers......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amarone

Posts: 5244 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
94 point Yellow Tail.

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I know what I would have; Pradeaux Bandol Mag 2000

Posts: 170 | Location: Mill River | Registered: Jan 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issa "Big Amarone"

For the Portheads... www.theportforum.com

Posts: 4234 | Location: Middle Earth | Registered: Sep 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Dave's answer, but GreenDrazi and KillerB are correct. A "big Amerone".

Maybe a little to easy though, so what about this one:

In Casablanca, what Champagne does Captain Renault order for Major Strasser??

posted Hide Post
'26 Veuve Cliquot

Posts: 5244 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GreenDrazi..correct again. This may be tougher:

Later though, Sam sings "As Time Goes By". Bogart says "Henri says he'll water the garden with Champagne before he'll let the Germans drink it." What's the bubbly?

posted Hide Post
Sounds like I need to get the DVD out for that one. Wink

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

It's an all around great movie so that's not a bad thing. Dooly Wilson singing is classic.

posted Hide Post
Ahhhh.....It would seem that after a couple of false starts, victory is mine. Razz

posted Hide Post
Mumm Cordon Rouge

Posts: 59 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the movie, I believe Lecter drank a "kee-aan-tee".
I've always wondered about that obvious mispronounciation. Hopkins is too good an actor to have slipped up accidentally. Was he mocking Agent Starling, or was there something else behind it?

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6731 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
goerisch....good call and good Champagne/

mneeley...I've also wondered about that. He was a cultural guy afterall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
In the movie, I believe Lecter drank a "kee-aan-tee".
I've always wondered about that obvious mispronounciation. Hopkins is too good an actor to have slipped up accidentally. Was he mocking Agent Starling, or was there something else behind it?

I figured it was a slam against the less intelligent buffoons at the FBI. In the same way the Southerners would say "Yew sure yew ain't Eye-taa-yen?" I can't remember if he said Faa-vaa beans or Fah-vah.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Mammoth, Calif | Registered: Apr 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cordon rouge had some quality control problems a few years ago and lost me

is it better, now?

Posts: 624 | Location: dolores park | Registered: Aug 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how it was prepared, Did he sautee it with grilled onions? Amarone.

Posts: 9368 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Mr. Lechter originally wanted to drink the 2003 Don Melchor with the liver, but found it was unavailable after the WS review. He then requested the 2003 Harlan but was shocked by the price increase, and passed on it. He debated about the 2003 Darioush, but then went for the Penny's 96 Block 42, but he too was shafted by WineBid, and did not get a chance to bid. He gave serious consideration for the new 13 Appelations wine, figuring he could cannibalize someone in each appelation, but when he saw the release price he balked on this one too. Finally, he settled on an inexpensive RP90 Aussie Shiraz, but almost gagged at the Big Bold 16% alcohol. What he really wanted was something that was Biodynamically farmed, and expressed it's terroir properly. He waited in vain for his allocation offer from Kosta Brown 2004. Frustrated and disheartned, he finally settled on a Coors Light and went to bed. Big Grin

-----------------------

www.VinoCritic.Com

Posts: 999 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Mar 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
'26 Veuve Cliquot

I'd give a part of my liver to taste that.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wine Joe..I can't wait for your version of the movie. It would make a hilarious short film. Make sure that guy from wineass.com gets a bit part though.

OK men.....In the movie "Blood and Wine" (which takes place in Miami) what does Jack Nicholson drink after suffocating Michael Caine?

posted Hide Post
Wine Joe...I thought he settled on Sloan.

"Death is just so full - and man so small.
I am scared of what's behind and what's before."

Posts: 915 | Location: Philadelphia, PA and Atlantic City, NJ | Registered: Nov 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post