WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What are you standing?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you standing?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For the last week or so, I've stood a bottle of 2003 Dominique Laurent Clos Saint Denis Vieilles Vignes. Tonight it will be able to lay down empty.

Cheers!

Posts: 8474 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
DoktaP, what do you think about this one? Thank you.

Wineplease, this bottle was singing and firing on all cylinders. Probably the WOTN imho. It had all the elements you want in an aged cote rotie. It was described by one attendee as having the nose of a charcuterie board (bacon, cured meat, spice) with a heavenly floral (violet) hint. Drinking absolutely beautifully, but can hold on another decade easily. Worth sourcing if you have a chance. As a group, we felt that no score be assigned, but just take in the wondrous nature.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5744 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

Wineplease, this bottle was singing and firing on all cylinders. Probably the WOTN imho. It had all the elements you want in an aged cote rotie. It was described by one attendee as having the nose of a charcuterie board (bacon, cured meat, spice) with a heavenly floral (violet) hint. Drinking absolutely beautifully, but can hold on another decade easily. Worth sourcing if you have a chance. As a group, we felt that no score be assigned, but just take in the wondrous nature.

This bottle, from that night, is in a very short WOTY list.
Thanks sincerely, Dok, for sharing this. Wink

Posts: 15545 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Really sorry to hear that, Dok. I had the wine 4 times but the last bottle 15-20 years ago. We did one in a series of verticals comparing 1962 and 1955. We did another in a 1955 First Growth horizontal. One we did at a French restaurant where the chef/owner prepared a special meal for four or us, along with a 1971 Lafite. The last we had at a dinner on our home. All four were wonderful.

I brought a 55 Lafite 2 years ago to a WGWeekend in Toronto with DoktaP and it was great. This one, unfortunately, was dead.

TN

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6606 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Great. Thank you for your notes DoktaP.
I actually bought this one about 6 months ago and had been curious when should I open this one Big Grin
But I guess I should wait couple of months when my wife is allowed to drink wine again.
Hopefully i will have the same experience as yours and KSC02 when popping up this bottle.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Mayacamas Cabernet.

Posts: 9446 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983 Margaux acquired from a fellow board member.

Posts: 1252 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1983 Margaux acquired from a fellow board member.

The nose on this wine in it's prime is spell binding. The first time I opened one, I just enjoyed it's bouquet for 2 hours before tasting. I hope it shines for you and your group. Enjoy and please post your notes.

posted Hide Post
The nose on Margaux is often the best of any Bordeaux, in my experience. And it need not be one the greatest vintages. I still remember the nose on the 1964 Margaux, which was little more than a decent wine with a 100 point nose.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36862 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1993 Justin Isosceles - very low expectations for this still being alive
1996 Pagodes de Cos - same

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

Special occasion? Razz

Posts: 15545 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Dominus

Posts: 1137 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
1997 Dominus

I just had my last 1997 Dominus of three magnums and it dried a little bit with decanting and time in the glass. I'd pop and pour and then decide whether to decant. Just my opinion.

Posts: 9446 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
1997 Dominus

I just had my last 1997 Dominus of three magnums and it dried a little bit with decanting and time in the glass. I'd pop and pour and then decide whether to decant. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the note! Will do!

Posts: 1137 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Special occasion? Razz

My irony-meter is in the shop right now so I can't tell if you're joking or not. (I suspect you are.) But if it was a serious question, no special occasion.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Special occasion? Razz

My irony-meter is in the shop right now so I can't tell if you're joking or not. (I suspect you are.) But if it was a serious question, no special occasion.

Green Razz emoticon confirms the jest Wink

posted Hide Post
1987 Dominus - Going to enjoy this tomorrow night with my son and his fiancee at Kiki's Bistro in Chicago

Posts: 2190 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kiki's brings back fond (and fuzzy) memories.

posted Hide Post
I must try this Kiki's place of which you all speak. I think it may be a possibility for a future xhoser visit.

Posts: 5474 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kiki's brings back fond (and fuzzy) memories.

Many many visits to KiKi's and all seem fuzzy.

Do you think it is the food? Razz

Posts: 30157 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1960 Cockburn

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12170 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think it is the food?

Absolutely! Or, my underwear were too tight Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I could've gone all day without that mental picture... Razz

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1947 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I knew it had nothing to do with all of the '59 Bordeaux and such we consumed. Wink

Posts: 30157 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1985 Dow's

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post