WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What are you standing?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you standing?
 Login/Join 
posted
What older bottle(s) have you stood up recently? For a special occasion? For no reason in particular?

For newer folks, older wines with sediment should be stood up in a vibration-free area for a period of time (I like a week or two, some do more), so the particulate matter can settle out. Then, the wine can be carefully poured into a decanter for drinking, leaving the gunk at the bottom, where it belongs. The sediment won't hurt you of course, it's just not that fun to drink.

Just stood up a 1988 Leoville Las Cases yesterday. Very excited to try this one, and I'll find a nice day in September to have it with my wife.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at any given time, I have 2-3 cases of wine standing up waiting for me to open....

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the following standing up in my offsite that are waiting for the right meal to be consumed with:

1985 Château Rausan-Ségla
1989 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia

Posts: 6417 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really answering the question, thristy man.

I stood up a 1998 Leonetti Walla Walla Cab recently. We'll see how it goes - I hope it's not over the hill. Forgot I had it - whoops.

Cheers!

Posts: 2882 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I have the following standing up in my offsite that are waiting for the right meal to be consumed with:

1985 Château Rausan-Ségla
1989 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia

Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.

-IB

Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.

Why would he have to decant at the storage facility? As long as he transports them to the meal stable and standing up, it shouldn't stir up too much sediment.

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
quote:

Why would he have to decant at the storage facility? As long as he transports them to the meal stable and standing up, it shouldn't stir up too much sediment.
Exactly.

Posts: 6417 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Perhaps I've been a little more anal retentive about this process than I should be. Hope they show well for you Glenn.

-IB

posted Hide Post
I acutally stand it up offsite,
drink when i get there to ensure that the wine is appropriately transported without sediment when I arrive at dinner and order the bottle off the wine list.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11669 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
quote:

Exactly.

I don't know. I've heard crazy stories about Glenn's driving. Razz

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6044 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What older bottle(s) have you stood up recently? For a special occasion? For no reason in particular?

For newer folks, older wines with sediment should be stood up in a vibration-free area for a period of time settle

Are you standing up oldies only? Just wondering cause i just Recently had a fairly young 07 Napa Cab that had sediment to my surprise.i assume the standing time would vary dramatically given your much older wines must have a lot more fine sediment. Sorry if this seems like an obvious question.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1533 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two bottles destined for an upcoming weekend and one just waiting for the right occasion

1989 Montrose
1997 Alvaro Palacios L'Ermita
1999 Casanova di Neri BdM Cerretalto

Posts: 15369 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Two bottles destined for an upcoming weekend and one just waiting for the right occasion

1989 Montrose
1997 Alvaro Palacios L'Ermita
1999 Casanova di Neri BdM Cerretalto

Smile

Mmmmm! Please post notes on the CdN!

RightBankFan, an '07 seems a little young to spin much sediment, but who knows? I'm sure much depends on how it was made: Filtered vs. unfiltered. But, I suppose I stand wines once they hit about 8-10 years, but maybe someone else has a better rule of thumb?

-IB

posted Hide Post
Why bother standing them up? I like the crunchy stuff at the bottom of the glass.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I like the crunchy stuff at the bottom of the glass.

Do you like your coffee that way as well? Smile

Posts: 15369 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Not really answering the question, thristy man.

I stood up a 1998 Leonetti Walla Walla Cab recently. We'll see how it goes - I hope it's not over the hill. Forgot I had it - whoops.

I have some '98 Leonetti as well.

Never thought about it being past prime. Eek

Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Guigal La Mouline
1989 Beaucastel CdP

Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A please post notes on the Beaucastel. Have had this wine twice in the past year (once with great provenance, the other unknown) and both times it was extreme brett that did not subside. Would be interested in your opinion? thanks in advance.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
W+A please post notes on the Beaucastel. Have had this wine twice in the past year (once with great provenance, the other unknown) and both times it was extreme brett that did not subside. Would be interested in your opinion? thanks in advance.

Will do...

posted Hide Post
I'll be standing some (much) older Lafites and Cheval Blanc for "said upcoming weekend". I'm still trying to twist an arm or two to make a cameo appearance Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5592 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 and 88 Lynch Bages; 1988 Mouton; 1995 Montelena, 1999 Tollot-Beaut Beaune Greves; 2001 Provenance Oakville; 2001 Whitehall Lane; 2001 Seavey

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
at any given time, I have 2-3 cases of wine standing up waiting for me to open....
Smile

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2748 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several cases standing up waiting to be consumed. Some bottles have been standing up for over a year, which makes me wonder if I should lay some of them back down again. The problem is, every time I think about opening, say, a 1997 Napa cab, I then win something much older at auction, and the 1997 goes back to the end of the line. Confused

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1110 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Java, I'd wager that the average age of your cellar is older than 99% of forumites. Maybe 100%? Do you have a bottle that you wouldn't stand up before consumption?

Smile

-IB

posted Hide Post
I only stand up wines >20 years old, which are relatively rare experiences for me. For anything younger (most cabs 10-15 years old, etc) I just pull out of the racks carefully and decant right away. Sediment tends to stick to the side of the bottle and is rarely a problem.

Currently I do have an 89 Pichon Lalande standing up for this weekend.

Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post