WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Rhys Spring offering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhys Spring offering
 Login/Join 
posted
Who is partaking in the upcoming 2010 Rhys offering. I am thinking of getting the following

2009 Skyline vyrd syrah
2010 Family Farm vyrd pinot 750s and mags
2010 Bearwallow vyrd pinot 750s and mags
2010 Alpine vyrd chard
2010 Home vyrd pinot
2010 Skyline vyrd pinot

Any insight into these wines is always appreciated. It seems that Rhys can do no wrong these days. My experience with them has been limited.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5007 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get offered the chard, I'd take it. Personally, I don't prefer their syrah, but its been a few years since I tried one. I think there are better syrah producers out there. Other than that, I try to get all of the pinot I'm offered, but to be honest, I think of all the Rhys I have collected, I have only tried the Alpine and Bearwallow in the last couple of years. The rest are resting, so, I can't offer you too much insight on the other pinots.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
If you get offered the chard, I'd take it. Personally, I don't prefer their syrah, but its been a few years since I tried one. I think there are better syrah producers out there. Other than that, I try to get all of the pinot I'm offered, but to be honest, I think of all the Rhys I have collected, I have only tried the Alpine and Bearwallow in the last couple of years. The rest are resting, so, I can't offer you too much insight on the other pinots.

You mean Alpine Hillside, right?

Eek

Posts: 289 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be buying everything except for the Syrah. I think their Syrah is good, but I have just found that for the money Syrah is sooooo much better in France than any producer I have found in CA. Their pinots are fantastic though and probably my 2nd favorite domestic producer after Littorai. The wines have an understated power and complexity that remind of you of high quality burg yet still maintain their CA charm.

Posts: 6523 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought about passing altogether. I have to cut purchases, and there are other wines I am more interested in (Sojourn, Rivers Marie & Carlisle), plus Rhys are not cheap. I may try to buy a small amount of a couple that I have enjoyed in the past, but if anyone in the Chicago area is looking to get some Rhys, I should have plenty available.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang.

I didn't get a notification.

I wonder if they are mad at me.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1291 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get offered the chard, I'd take it.

+10

As good as their Pinot's are, the Chard is better, IMHO.

Posts: 1570 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will probably buy all I am offered, but not mags (don't like the price premium there). May leave Chards. on the table.

Posts: 1865 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keytohwy:
quote:

You mean Alpine Hillside, right?

Eek

Smile Most recently, yes, though the majority of the Rhys I have opened have been Alpine of one form or another. There are three general pinots made from Alpine. Its my highest allocation and therefore has been my bellweather when I want to try one.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the wines and get a large allocation because I've purchased so much in the past, but the steady price increases have started to put them beyond my reach. Not sure how much I'll buy this time.

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.lastbottlewines.com/invite/0afe3ca693abaf078afeb3779d49acb72a83998c

Posts: 123 | Location: Kansas City Area | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
quote:
If you get offered the chard, I'd take it.

+10

As good as their Pinot's are, the Chard is better, IMHO.
Agree with Sharkey. Love the Chards.

Posts: 943 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm playing. Love their Syrah. One of the best Rhys wines I've had was an unreleased Skyline Syrah several years back.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post