WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What wine with Cajun food?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What wine with Cajun food?
 Login/Join 
posted
Title says it all. What wine goes with Cajun food?

Only the mediocre are always at their best.

Posts: 384 | Location: Wheaton, IL. USA | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
beer.

Irwin

"Life is short.....start with the dessert."

Posts: 7122 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Syrah or Cab

Posts: 2598 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Australian riesling - from eden vally

Posts: 4 | Location: australia | Registered: Jan 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
beer

Joe

Posts: 13455 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another vote for beer.

------------------------------

www.mojorib.com

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sparklers work with spicy (or salty) foods.

Posts: 687 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
more beer

Joe

Posts: 13455 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dix beer from New Orleans

Posts: 235 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Jan 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to echo the majority: beer.

I suppose if you were married to the idea of wine, a Zin, for red, or a German Riesling, for white, might work. I've never really considered trying it, though. Smile

a

Posts: 7540 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"cajun food" is kind of a broad description which can encompass myriad meats,fowl, and shellfish. Perhaps I should assume for this thread that "cajun food" will be somewhat synonyous with heavy-handed seasoning with these foods?

Personally, I'll often cook my (crawfish) etouffee with a bit of red wine and find that same wine accompanies the meal nicely. Syrah or maybe Zin.

There are stuffed fried (shrimp,crab) items that a nice crisp chardonnay or sparkler might go nicely with. Same with many raw items.

I'll also agree that beer usually works just fine for me. An Abita amber is often my brew of choice.

funny wine quip goes here.

Posts: 800 | Location: Austin | Registered: Jul 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if not Alsacian wine would go well with Cajun. But since I rarely get Cajun food I am just guessing based on the combination of shellfish with hot spices.

Posts: 412 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Rioja might go good! Razz

Posts: 9396 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:

You dug pretty deep!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beer.

I love wine. Some things are just better with beer.

Posts: 739 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found Gewurtz to work well with spicy food...

www.gpci.blogspot.com

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with beer but if you have to have a wine I would go with one of these three.

Grüner Veltliner

Gewurtz

Riesling

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replace the "what" in the title with "why".

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think all cajun food can be thought of as blackened sea bass. There are many dishes that although can be a bit spicy may actually work with a young Syrah or Cote Rotie. There was a guy named Justin Wilson years ago on public television, before cable who did all his cooking outdoors in a big steamer. He always had a glass of red alongside and happily sipped while he said; "Whooo, I garontee!".

http://www.justinwilson.com/recipes/recipeslist.htm

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends, I think, on what you're eating. If you're having fresh boiled crawfish or jambalaya, I'd agree with the maority here and say beer. But if you're having blackened redfish or an etoufee, I'd go with a rich shiraz. If you're having a more delicate cajun meal, maybe a pinot. I think an Albarino or a sweet Riesling would offset the spice if you wanted a white.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of wines that will match various Cajun and Creole dishes just fine. Here is a link to a Fat Tuesday meal that the CWM got together for in 2006. About a dozen different wines opened. Obviously some matched better than others.

VM

Posts: 12188 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are eating. Crab Cakes or as we call them "stuffed crab", because they are in a tin foil crab shell or a real cleaned crab shell would pair nicely with a Cali Sauvignon Blanc, along with fried soft shell crabs and fried shrimp/calamari. The acidity will cut through the oil from frying the seafood. Gumbo, if done well in my opinion should be eaten alone. Some dishes in red gravy, like etoufees could go with a pinot or pushing it a syrah because of the spice. Dishes like Pasta Mardi Gras which is seafood, and veggies in a white cream sauce would call for a chardonnay.

Posts: 1411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:

"well" Razz Big Grin

WOW! Talk about dumpster diving!

Beer.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7540 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good Cajun meal is "well seasoned", not "highly seasoned" as some have mentioned their perception of Cajun food. Cajun food is a great balance of seasonings. Please don't associate Cajun with HOT as that perception has misdirected most so called Cajun restaurants north of Baton Rouge.

Beer would be my preference. Really cold beer.

Mike P, thank you for the link, what a great story teller and chef.

I would have to agree with GA, "WHY?"

Posts: 1858 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post