WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What are you drinking for Xmas/holidays thread.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you drinking for Xmas/holidays thread.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
On Christmas Eve, friends made a beautiful traditional turkey dinner. We took a magnum of Pol Roger Cuvee de Reserve and 750 ml Krug Grand Cuvee, both of which showed nicely esp. after a glass of less than stellar prosecco.

We took my wife's mother to a fabulous but stupidly overpriced Christmas brunch yesterday. I was offered a mimosa when we arrived, and I guess our server thought I really like it because she kept replacing my empty glass.

Tbird would have been proud of me. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8291 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
Enjoyed a 1981 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva with dinner yesterday.
How was it showing? I have an 80 in the cellar waiting for my wife's next b-day.

Really well, although I've had better vintages. The nose was somewhat muted (at least compared to the 1991 that I had several months ago), but the palate was beautiful. Ripe fruit, slightly expansive, good balancing acidity. A very nice wine, but not the best I've had from LdH.

Posts: 780 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the three days with the family (Christmas Eve through Boxing Day), in no particular order:

2009 Radio Coteau Savoy Chardonney
2009 Grochau Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Upper Five Vineyard
2003 E. Guigal CNdP
2005 Karl Lawrence Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Ayres Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
2010 Bogle Phantom (had to have one cellar protector opened)
1996 Bodegas LAN Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Lanciano
1996 Graham Beck Rose
2007 Loring Cargasacchi Vineyard Pinot Noir
2007 Stephania Haut Tubee
2000 Chateau St. Michelle Meritage
2007 Dain Svage Juliet Pinot Noir
2001 diStefano Meritage Columbia valley
2006 Pali Durell Vineyard Pinot Noir

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post