WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What are you drinking for Xmas/holidays thread.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you drinking for Xmas/holidays thread.
 Login/Join 
posted
2001 muga torre muga
2003 domaine du pegau cdp
2001 Chateau suduiraut Sauternes
N.V. Commandaria st-John
2004 oreno igt

Hohoho

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mimik,

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my future in-laws drink wine, but none are enthusiasts. I'll be opening value bottles today. At least I can pick better $10 to $14 wines than they can! Likely a Kim Crawford SB and Bogle Chard for whites, and some Spanish Garnachas for reds. If the beer drinkers are expecting Miller Lite in my fridge though, they are SOL. Razz

I have another week off work after today, and DanTheRhoneFan is hosting NYE. I'm confident I will drink plenty of outstanding juice between now and when we get back to reality.

Posts: 5473 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
If the beer drinkers are expecting Miller Lite in my fridge though, they are SOL. Razz

Funny! I have 3 Heinekens and 2 Miller Lights in the very back of the fridge for people who don't understand beer but think that they like it. They've been sitting back there most of the year. The Heinekin is good for steaming shrimp, though......

PH

Posts: 15162 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Delamotte BdB
1999 Castelgiocondo and Poggio Antico Altero BdMs with short ribs.

Maybe a sweetie later if the mood strikes.....

PH

Posts: 15162 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
start with Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler Mosel Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett 2009

with dinner, 2003 William Fevre Las Preueses

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We opend up a 2009 Williams Selyem zin and a bottle from the same year of The Industrial (which I learned about here, thank you!), and the in-laws were quite happy. Served with rack of lamb from the Weber and saffron rice.

Then....Drank two way too young 2009 W.S. pinots, Bucher and Ferrington.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1291 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow night my 6th annual Cdp dinner at the club.

Posts: 9444 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at the whitebark restaurant 05 Clos Des Papes CdP and 05 Clos Apalta.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing worth mentioning except 2007 Christoffel E.T. Spatlese

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1444 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened a 1996 Kalin Cellars Sonoma County Pinot Noir Cuvee DD with Christmas ham and traditional fixins.

Posts: 941 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles. This is a tolerably decent wine, and actually a pretty good QPR at the local supermarket sale price of $12.99. It has decent fruit, but is solidly oaked, so if you are adverse to the oaky California cab, this would be a pass. 87-88 points for me--drink now.

2010 M. Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Rousillon--Very nice, probably my favorite of the foursome. Nice concentration of fruit, with a nice mineral touch and smooth tannins. Huge QPR wine. 92-93 points for me

2003 Chateau Duhart Milon--Young, but definitely approachable. Better on the second day. Not a blockbuster, but very elegant, especially when compared with the other 3. 91 points for me.

2002 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley--this took maybe 30-45 minutes to open up, but shows nicely. Nice integration of vanilla oak with soft fruits and smooth tannins. Broadly appealing. 90 points for me.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3117 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Opened a 1996 Kalin Cellars Sonoma County Pinot Noir Cuvee DD with Christmas ham and traditional fixins.

How was it? I'm a big fan of what Kalin does. Fascinating wines.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing the Cdp thing.
Last night, 1994 Ch Beaucastel (375) and tonite 2001 Ch La Nerthe. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good wine night!

Posts: 2279 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by max:

How was it? I'm a big fan of what Kalin does. Fascinating wines.
I am as well. I did a brief impression on the 'what are you drinking' thread. Showing very well.

Posts: 941 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three wine Company Riesling Sweetwater Ranch 2010
Foxglove Chardonnay 2010
darioush Napa Viognier 2011
Roco Pinot Noir WV 2009
Lange Pinot Noir WV Reserve 2009

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1601 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a houseful of drinkers, but not aficionados. So the wife and I shared a bottle of '04 Kenwood Artist Series cab while everyone else drank more pedestrian stuff in qty.

With NYE approaching, the focus will shift to champagne.

Posts: 881 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Chateau Lagrange Pomerol. (courtesy of my girlfriends uncle)

Vineland Estates 2010 Cabernet Franc Reserve

Domaine Drouhin Oregon "Arthur" Chardonnay 2008

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 252 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas eve - 1999 Philipponnat clos des goisses

Christmas morning before the masses descended on us - Krug Brut Rose

Posts: 4556 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wines enjoyed Christmas day as the snow came much earlier than expected.

2x 1998 Krug
3x 2008 Fevre Les Preuses Chablis
2x 2004 Dofi
2x 2001 Pontet Canet

Posts: 30148 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed a 1981 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva with dinner yesterday.

Posts: 801 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
24th eve:
2005 Bauget-Jouette blanc de blancs, Champagne, (as Aperitif and with Ecrevisses)

1998 Grand-Puy-Lacoste (with Fillet Wellington)

25th:
2002 Quinta do Vale d.Maria LBV Port (as Aperitif, dont be surprised, Port is considered an Aperitif in Luxembourg Smile )

2004 St.-Aubin "Les Combes" 1er Cru (white), Marc Colin (with a nage aux St.-Jacques), absolutely sublime in it's prime drinking wimdow.

2002 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes vieille vigne, Domaine Fourrier, (fantastic pairing for venison)

2000 Chateauneuf-du-Pape vieilles vignes, Domaine Villeneuve, red, (with cheeese platter, along with the remainders of the 2004 St.-Aubin which was my coup de coeur of the day)

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1908 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the manhattans to get us started:

1997 Heitz Trailside
2004 Domaine Serene "Mark Bradford" PN

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xmas eve: Roederer sparkling wine and 2003 clos des papes CDP (3 hr decant)(needs way more time in the cellar) with crab legs and filet mignon.

Xmas day: 2009 Pisoni estate Pinot noir with duck confit, both were delicious, followed by 2008 Pegau CDP, which was solid as expected.

Posts: 134 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: Sep 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xmas eve - 2011 Littorai Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – Really awesome wine and a great value to boot.

Xmas day – Korean feast at my in-laws so OB beer and soju were the drinks of choice.

Posts: 6520 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
Enjoyed a 1981 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva with dinner yesterday.
How was it showing? I have an 80 in the cellar waiting for my wife's next b-day.

Posts: 6520 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post