Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying Huet
 Login/Join 
posted
Last night I had a 2001 Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Sec. This is probably the 10th or so bottle I've had by Huet, and they're always excellent. I've and '85 (courtousey of w+a), a '96, '98, etc. I've understood these age extremely well (ones from the 50's are drinking very well, etc). Lastly, they aren't very expensive at all (except for the Cuvee Constance).

My question, how do you decide which vintages and which bottlings to buy? They may dry, demi-sec, and sweet wines, different sites, etc.

Any experience / advice for buying Huet to age?

Posts: 4703 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In short, I pretty much just buy Huet when I have a chance regardless of vintage. They're one of those producers like Baumard and Haut Brion that just seem to do good regardless of the vintage.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13422 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only been grabbing a bottle or three over the last few years, but I'm with WIML. When I see it I tend to just buy it.

Posts: 335 | Location: Palmetto Bay, FL | Registered: Oct 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2 Good producer.

I've had the 1961 Le Mont, Moelleux, Premiere Trie twice over the past few years. Not a great, but excellent wine, which was definitely not over the hill.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all age well, but I prefer the Sec on the young side. Huet is clearly the class of Vouvray, and a wonderful winery to visit. I hope to return next year.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36722 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huet is great, and it is one of those producers where you can trust that if he makes a certain type of wine he'll only do it if the quality is there. Therefore, it is safe to buy whenever you see a wine around (not saying there isn't a stylistic difference between vintages though!).
I find the Sec irresistable at young age, but so much better still after at least 5 years, and it will hold much longer in good years. 2005 Clos du Bourg Sec is still young, just to give an example. The Moelleux wines will go for ages. I'm a fan!

--------------
For those in the Middle East: http://muscatdeli.blogspot.com

Posts: 1518 | Location: Muscat, Oman | Registered: Nov 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2010 is far and away much better than the 2011's. Especially in the Le Mont secs.

Posts: 160 | Location: Birchwood, WI | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post