WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Cape Town area wineries to visit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Town area wineries to visit
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi, i will have the chance to spend a weekend in february in Cape Town. Any recommendations of wineries to visit? I don't know much about South African wines but would prefer to visit wineries with both reds and whites production.

Thanks.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1473 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically what kind of wines do you like?

I'll catch flak from the wine snob crowd but do you like Pinotage?

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13307 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, how many days can you devote to wine tasting?

Joe
-----

Posts: 13307 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot but off the top of my head I would look at going to:

Thelma
Klein Constantia
Tokara
Sadie Family
Boekenhoutskloof
KWV (not great wines but if you're nice on the tour you can get a taste of 100+ year old muscat plus it's the biggest wine co-op in the world)

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2023 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wiml, thx. It may be a drastic contrast but i like Cabs and Pinot noir and those dominate my cellar. For whites, unoaked chards or slightly oaked. I can't say i have had enough pinotage to have an informed opinion. I will probably have about 1.5 days for tasting. I was thinking i should do at least one large winery with many varietals and then aim to be picky with another 3 or 4 wineries. Tx for your input.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1473 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, in general, I'd say focus on Stellenbosch for wines that are a bit more "New Worldish" to make up a term and then swing around the other side of the mountain to Franschoeck for wines that lean a bit more "Old Worldish".

My two cents worth is I enjoyed the Franschoeck side for wines and views and wine country feel just a hair better but if you're into Cabernets I'm guessing the Stellenbosch side would be a better fit. Stellenbosch definitely has more selections than the Franschoeck side.

Forget Pinot Noir this trip. I didn't see a single bottle while tasting over 2 days in that area. The best and definitely an excellent producer of Pinot Noir is Hamilton Russell but that is one heck of a long drive from Cape Town to make in one day just to visit one winery.

White wines are a bit few and far between in the area. We didn't see many but there are some produced. Most Chardonnay, some Sauvignon Blanc and the occasional "off" varietal like Riesling, Vignier and Chenin Blanc.

If you're interested in trying what I consider to be the best of the best in Pinotage production then visit Kanankop. They do a really good job and they are the only Pinotage I hauled back from SA.

Uitkyk is practically across the road from Kanankop and produces a Sauvignon Blanc and a Chardonnay in addition to their Cabernet, Syrah and blends. Decent wines.

I think Tokara pours 1 white in addition to their red wines that run from Merlot to Cabernet to Syrah. I'd stop for the views if nothing else. If you're looking for a winery to eat lunch at then this is the stop. You can't beat the combination of the food versus wines versus view from their patio.

I think Thelema poured at least 4 whites including a Riesling, Muscat, Viognier and Chardonnay. They also pour a range of reds including some blends. Wines are good QPR mostly.

Rupert & Rothschild were one of the better producers we found in the area but they only pour 1 Chardonnay, 1 Blend and 2 Cabernets. That's it. They are however pretty easy to swing in and hit quickly straight from the highway leading into Franschoeck.

Vrede and Lust came across as a tourist stop including the cheesy tape recording of Nelson Mandela they play for you not once but twice.

Boschedal was alright. No great shakes but they were one of the view pouring a sparkling wine and a Chenin Blanc which was worth the stop to me.

l'Oramarins is an interesting stop in that you can't drive up to the winery. You start at their car museum (interesting) and they drive you up on a large golf cart. Their wines didn't do a thing for me but they had the most diverse selection including a Sangiovese and a Tempanrillo of all things. Views are pretty good too from up at the winery.

La Motte had a decent mix of wines and without a doubt one of the nicest tasting rooms overlooking their winery with some nice art at the entrance.

If you're in the Franschoeck area during the evening and want a higher end dinner then I can't recommend enough a stop at The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais. We did the chef's menu where he prepares I believe 13 course for you of his choosing and we were well rewarded. One of the best meals I've had.

I don't know if you have any sightseeing planned but obviously there is plenty to see and do in the area if you allow for the time.

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
There are a lot but off the top of my head I would look at going to:

Thelma
Klein Constantia
Tokara
Sadie Family
Boekenhoutskloof
KWV (not great wines but if you're nice on the tour you can get a taste of 100+ year old muscat plus it's the biggest wine co-op in the world)

Stellenbosch:

Now that I have a bit more time I'll expand a little. WIML's recommendation of Tokara for the views and especially the food is right on. I would have this as then lunch stop. Their white is actually very good and quite age worthy (I’ve gone through most of a case of 2006 and they are still evolving and still good).

The other restaurant I would recommend in Stellenbosch is the one at Guardian Peak.

Simonsig has probably the best cap classic (sparkling wine) and they do courses in sabering bottles which is a real hoot and something you probably don’t want to learn doing with real champagne. Their noble rot dessert wine is quite good as well. Fair to good Pinotage.

Non Stellenbosch:
Sadie Family has a couple of the best in the country in their red Columella and the white Palladius. The Columella was the first SA wine WS gave 95 points to and it deserved it. The Palladius is as good and will age for a decade. It is up north of Paarl on the way to Malmesbury though so out of the way

Boekenhoutskloof is in Franschhoek so if you are going to go that way, I would recommend it. If you do go to Franschhoek, Reubens is the place to eat.

If you are going to go down to Simonstown or Cape Point I would go to Klein Constantia. One of the oldest, Napoleon’s favorite, and amazing dessert wine.

KWV is in Paarl and work going to for the reasons I mentioned. It’s a great tasting room, the wine goes through all levels of price/quality and the rare muscat is worth going for by itself.

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2023 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liked the wines and winery of Diemersfontain. (Outstanding 100% cab and good Pinotage)

Welbedacht was a memorable visit, both because of the wines (cricket pitch) and because of the Schalk-Burger family Rugby-history.

Some small group tours start directly from Cape-town to the Stellenbosch/Franshoek area, if you plan a 1day visit.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1741 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool thread.

Have not had much SA wine but very interested in it and have about a half a dozen I will drink soon.

I would check out Glenelly in Stellenbosch from May de Lencquesaing owner of Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande in Bordeax.

Posts: 8511 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check this as well:
Cape Town

Emily's Restaurant is a must!

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1741 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great recommendations. Winner Will finish my research with your tips and report back.