WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Storing/Displaying a 6L Bottle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing/Displaying a 6L Bottle
 Login/Join 
posted
Question for the field...

I've been looking, without success, for a stand or rack to place in a wine cellar to store and display a 6L bottle. Wine bottle, not champagne.

Anyone have any luck finding a rack, stand or any other device for this purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 271 | Registered: Jun 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know anybody with woodworking equipment? Perhaps a block with a v-notch cut out would do the trick, assuming you want it to lay down.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of these these to place on the top of my racks for both 3L and 6L bottles. For a simple display that doesn't seriously obstruct the view of the bottle from any angle, it's a great option. I considered the notched wood, but liked this option a little more as it works for multiple sized bottles.

It looks like it's not available through Amazon anymore but if you search for that item name it'll bring up several places that sell it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RedLoverJim,

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
better yet, what do you guys do with a leaky 6l bottle!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12138 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
better yet, what do you guys do with a leaky 6l bottle!

Drink it! Big Grin

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only display them empties. I just put them on top of my wine cellar. I also have some double mags of Fleur de Champagne with the Bordeaux Imperials.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36844 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with the very large formats is that the corks are hand carved and they eventually leak. I made that mistake with every large format I've had. The other problem is that I just never seem to have an occasion where I can open a 6L bottle.

Posts: 3020 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Offlines and birthday parties are when I opened mine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36844 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A '79 Leoville Las Cases comes to mind about 11 years ago. Thanks for sharing that B-O.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5003 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
I bought a couple of these these to place on the top of my racks for both 3L and 6L bottles. For a simple display that doesn't seriously obstruct the view of the bottle from any angle, it's a great option. I considered the notched wood, but liked this option a little more as it works for multiple sized bottles.

It looks like it's not available through Amazon anymore but if you search for that item name it'll bring up several places that sell it.

you could make a wood stand using the same design concept as the wire stand. Make it from a solid piece of wood for strength. I'm sure you could find a hobby woodworker on craigslist that would make one with some fashionable routing around the edges for $25-50. Then you could stain it to match your cellar and you'll have a story to go with the stand as well as the bottle.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 463 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had leftover racking wood from a cellar and made a display cradle for a 6L bottle, took me about 15 minutes. Get creative and do it yourself.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
A '79 Leoville Las Cases comes to mind about 11 years ago. Thanks for sharing that B-O.

IW

I also brought a 750 to compare with the Imperial. I didn't think there was a lot of difference between the two, but most people prefered the Imperial. Too bad we didn't do that part blind.

Just one more sip.