WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    US elections, what are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US elections, what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted
Being broadcasted at 22.00 until 6.00 in the morning, here in Europe, that calls for a drink to keep you awake and something worth this feast of democracy. I digged deep into the cellar and grabbed a 1999 Dominus for tomorrows showdown.
What are you drinking while waiting for the results of the election?

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1742 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Romney wins, Champagne. If the @#$% wins, heavily.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keurig coffee at a class I'll be in during the evening news.

Posts: 5162 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it might be Wednesday morning or later before we know for sure.......

I hope your 99 Dominus shows well, ML. The last one we opened was very, very good.

I will play it by ear, but it could be a Macallan evening for me.

PH

Posts: 14653 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuesday night will be a TV party at a friend's house. We are going to bring several "Cougar Town" glasses' worth of the newest Rhys, Rochioli, and Willaims Selyem releases. New wines for election night. Kind of a vibrant energy. I love election night with all the stats and figues and punditry. When I was a little kid, stayed up all night with Walter Cronkite coloring in my electoral map. It's like Super Bowl!

Remember the game "Landslide?" I used to play that year round.

I lean blue, but would not be overly upset if Romney wins.

The next business cycle has begun, so whoever wins will get false credit.

Apropos of nothing:

When I was a kid, my school was one of the "Newsweek Schools."

They'd come and make the teachers and grown ups leave and then the kids would take tests about current events, etc.

We lied like a Romney on those.

We'd even all agree not to identify Egypt on the map.

It was funny at the time. Then those "Why Johnny Can't Read a Map" articles would come out and it would become hilarious.

My belated apologies for my dickery.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1256 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coffee, on Wednesday morning when I see the results. I'll be thankful that this seemingly never-ending process is finally over. Then it'll be back to the usual gridlock in the US political system..

Posts: 761 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
Being broadcasted at 22.00 until 6.00 in the morning, here in Europe, that calls for a drink to keep you awake and something worth this feast of democracy. I digged deep into the cellar and grabbed a 1999 Dominus for tomorrows showdown.
What are you drinking while waiting for the results of the election?

Let me know how the 99 Dominus is showing as I'm opening one on December 2nd for a 1999 tasting.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be a lot stiffer than wine.

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe some Champagne on Wednesday, which will finally bring relief from watching commercials about all these a**holes.

Posts: 5162 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe some Champagne on Wednesday, which will finally bring relief from watching commercials about all these a**holes.

The ones that get me are all the ads listing all the qualifications for so-n-so for Lt. Governor. Really? WTF for? L-G's do absolutely nothing except sit on their behinds and collect a paycheck, and wait for the Governor to croak or get caught boffing an underage intern.
Roll Eyes

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half the country will be wondering which wine goes with crow.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1256 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the VPs.

Moselle - you're a little early aren't you? Even here on the east coast the polls don't open for a few hours.

And since they're day-long affairs, I don't drink during the elections, although for years, my tasting group happened to meet on election night so we'd do something worthy, like sherry, to ensure proper fortification against the horrors.

The need for something strong is usually during the "debates", when I hope and dream for a hint of wit or honesty or competence. At one time we had people like Lincoln and Douglas going at it, now we have a series of increasingly disturbing freaks whose job is to stay "on message", which means repeating the same mind-numbing crap over and over. Then they're graded on how little they get distracted from their rote repetitions.

And then since we're going to have the same economy the next day, I'll probably go to bed after a cup of hot tea and honey.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2492 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Kind of like the VPs.

Moselle - you're a little early aren't you? Even here on the east coast the polls don't open for a few hours.

I agree, but i knew i had to play "towers of Hanoi" with wooden cases for quite a while, so it came to my mind preparing for election night a day earlier.

Even here in Europe you can't escape the US election, thankfully without the candidates annoying advertisements. One TV program went like broadcasting a 4hr documentary on prohibition in the morning, a 6hr documentary on the history of New-York in the afternoon an "Once upon a time in America" in the evening Wink

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1742 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope your 99 Dominus shows well, ML. The last one we opened was very, very good.

+1

The '97 & '98 tasted at a recent offline were both exceptional. I hope your bottle shows well too.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting about 6:00 p.m. scotch and water. When the results are in and a certsin person from Chicago wins, hemlock.

And will continue drining heavily for 4 more years. Spit

Posts: 6167 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Starting about 6:00 p.m. scotch and water. When the results are in and a certsin person from Chicago wins, hemlock.

And will continue drining heavily for 4 more years. Spit

can I have yer stash if you drink the hemlock?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11022 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a number of you are going to be drowning your sorrows later! Banana

Posts: 139 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably some cheaper quaffer laying around like Cupcake Cab. Actually not a bad weekday wine as far as my amatuer palate can tell. If Romney looks to be the winner, may break out a robust Napa Cab Smile Winner

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're going to play a nice little drinking game as we watch returns. It's called "Too Close to Call," so everytime someone says that phrase, or "Exit Poll," we shall imbibe.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll never see who won!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... after 2 hours of decanting, the 99 Dominus shows beautifully

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
You'll never see who won!10 PM.

Fixed. Wink

PH

Posts: 14653 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our neighbors are having a election results party this evening. With high hopes I'm bringing a bottle of Champagne. I've got some 18 y.o. McCallan on standby if necessary.

Posts: 2232 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
If Romney wins, Champagne. If the @#$% wins, heavily.

the opposite.....champagne for Obama....anti-depressants, chased with wild turkey if Romney wins

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either way, Champagne.

"In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it" Napoleon Bonaparte

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 346 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post