WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wines in the cellar that are just too cheap to serve.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wines in the cellar that are just too cheap to serve.
 Login/Join 
posted
I have a few bottles of Tandem and Cameron hughes that I like to drink a glass or two of but then use the rest for cooking.

Oh and I also have a bottle of Marilyn Merlot

oh and i typically have anywhere from 3-6 open Ruby ports at any time that I usually don't serve unless someone really wanted to try them.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12153 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of really inexpensive sweet German riesling that I keep around in case my brother-in-law and his wife come over. That's about all they will drink.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3483 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I have a bottle of really inexpensive sweet German riesling that I keep around in case my brother-in-law and his wife come over. That's about all they will drink.

that's why this topic is so disinteresting, can't even remember the names of the bottles =)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12153 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While organizing the cellar the other day, I came across a bottle of "Little Black Dress" Cab Sauv. I'm not sure who bought this or who decided to put it in a rack. I don't have the heart to serve this to anybody. Perhaps I'll try it myself once it has some bottle age... Wink

Posts: 1569 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No - although during the move we did just throw out a 2002 Glen Ellen Chardonnay that was given to us by someone and has been sitting not in any of our cellars in the house which is generally 80 degrees for the 50% of time when we are in Key West. It was a lovely shade of gold/orange.

Posts: 5967 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a magnum of Yellow Tail chardonnay, one or two bottles of Kendall Jackson reds, and a bottle or two of Trapiche.

People bring them over as gifts. I never have an issue with it, but it does make me wonder if they're kidding when they preface the gift-giving act with "I know you're into wine, so I got this for you".

Posts: 4990 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, and someone in my office approached me the other day with a bottle of wine. "hi, i know you like wine, and I don't really drink wine. I've had this for a while, it was a gift a few years ago. It's been in my kitchen stored like this (as she acts out laying the bottle horizontally), not like this (as she acts out laying the bottle vertically). I hope it's good!

It's a 1998 Casa Lapostelle Rapel Valley Merlot. Not sure what to make of that.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh i did server a 1976 Hargrove Long Island cab at a past tasting, hehe didn't kill anyone

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I have some Jacob's Creek and Rosemont Shiraz that I keep around for when my mother in law wants another glass and everyone else is done for the night.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2375 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I have some Jacob's Creek and Rosemont Shiraz that I keep around for when my mother in law wants another glass and everyone else is done for the night.

You're very kind Rob. I have bottles lying around for my Mother in Law, but they don't contain wine.....

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's art pieces was picked up by Hillebrand vineyards and they put it on a rose wine they produce. (if you want to call it that)
It's a tough thing because the wine is so freaking bad. I keep it buried in the basement with one bottle on display but my mother-in-law proudly goes around giving it to people without telling them how crap the wine is.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some future in-laws recently brough a Cupcake Chardonnay that is in the refrigerator taking up beer space. Maybe I'll slip it in blind with some Lewis and Varner. Popcorn

Posts: 5472 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate to have reached a point where I rarely am given lousy wines. Occasionally a vendor will give me a bottle that I wouldn't even cook with, but people who know me either just don't give me wine at all, or give me thoughtfully selected bottles regardless of price.

Cheap really doesn't have anything to do with whether I drink or serve a wine, but lousy does.

So.... lousy wines experience one of two possible fates in my home. Some are kept for cooking, although I usually like to pick my cooking wines unless I find myself in need of a spash on short notice. The rest are gifted to my daughters for when they're hosting larger social events where the quality of the wine isn't an issue. These re-gifts come with the proviso that they don't tell their wine loving friends that they came from me. I do have a minor reputation to uphold with these folk Wink....

PH

Posts: 15162 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Luckily, I don't have to stock those. My m.i.l. keeps her supply under her kitchen sink. They've been under there for years.... Ack

Here's what to serve when you just don't care.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6804 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do a blind lineup with friends, it's fun to slip one of these in. Just make sure they're good enough friends to forgive you, and that you bring something really good as your actual contribution.

In a similar situation last year, a few of us decided to have some fun with a friend prepping for one of her somm tests. We consulted with a friend on the retail side of things who pointed us to Chateau Bordeaux, I believe it was, which he said had high bottle variation but was consistently crap.

So in a lineup of 15-20 bottles, we slipped four of these in as the first bottles. Sure enough they all sucked and all tasted completely different. After about 15 minutes of contemplation, I think she pegged one as a Cab, one as a Syrah, one as flawed and I forget the other. It was good for a laugh, and a better use for the wine than ruining a good dish by cooking with it.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few. Someone gifted me a bottle of Iowa red wine. One of these days I will open it and take at least one drink. I can't and won't serve it.

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of "Graceland Estate" California cab with the picture of Elvis on the label. I gotta believe this bottle has more value unopened than opened. I just haven't quite found the right, uh, victim, to, uhh, "gift" it to.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few lousy wines collecting dust in the cellar....but they were not "cheap"! I do have several bottles under 20$, but they are not lousy by any stretch. What value are you defining as cheap?

Some on this board would consider under 50-100$ cheap....just sayin'

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2757 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a better description is "sh***y wines I wouldn't spend my own money on at any price". Big Grin

Posts: 5472 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

You're very kind Rob. I have bottles lying around for my Mother in Law, but they don't contain wine.....

The thing is she really likes them! Rosemont Shiraz is her go-to wine (despite my best efforts), so she thinks I'm being really nice to her (which, if she likes it, I guess I am even though I'm gagging inside).

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2375 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of Rex Goliath that someone "gifted" me. I also happened to have received one of those wooden contraptions that locks a bottle of wine until you figure out the puzzle. I locked the bottle in so that I wouldn't have to drink it then. Unfortunately, no one has since felt the urge to figure it out, so there it stands.

CJ

Posts: 25 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJO:
I have a bottle of Rex Goliath that someone "gifted" me. I also happened to have received one of those wooden contraptions that locks a bottle of wine until you figure out the puzzle. I locked the bottle in so that I wouldn't have to drink it then. Unfortunately, no one has since felt the urge to figure it out, so there it stands.

CJ

We once had some Rex Goliath at an offline... from magnums Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
We consulted with a friend on the retail side of things who pointed us to Chateau Bordeaux, I believe it was, which he said had high bottle variation but was consistently crap.

How do you find out something that is consistently crap has high bottle variation?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3483 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, I only buy and serve special wines.

Posts: 8726 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 parducci merlot. I believe it came from a trip to Disney

Posts: 2297 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post