WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Pre-made wine rooms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-made wine rooms
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have experiences and advice to share on wine rooms like they sell on WE or IWA?

Posts: 235 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Jan 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MJS,

enjoyingwine have pre-made wine room, which has been working great for him. I store some of my wine there too. Big Grin

---------------------------
www.winebid.com
2004 Whirlwind Tour

Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MJS, if you're looking for the most bottle storage at the lowest cost per bottle you would have a hard time finding a better solution. The wine rooms are very utilitarian so they don't look pretty like a cabinet but they more than get the job done. I'd recommend them.

Joe

Posts: 13632 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. No problems at all.

highdesertwine

Posts: 1714 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are there any particular brands to avoid or that are good?

Posts: 235 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Jan 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on time/tools/ability that you have, I would look into the cost of building your own versus buying one from the WE. Sounds like from the above posts that they are something to consider, though.

LJ

"Drink up, me hardies, YO HO!"

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJS:
are there any particular brands to avoid or that are good?

If you go with a "knock down" wine room then I believe there are only 3 manufacturers in the U.S. Every one you see advertised buy from those 3 manufacturers. Here is a link to one that uses wood racking, heavy duty insulation, Breezaire cooling units, etc...:

VinoCraft

Joe

Posts: 13632 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for 8 years, moved it across the country and reassembled it and it still works for me. Like others said, very economical and also is excellent here in Seattle where basements are not the norm (it's in my garage where my other car would be if I hadn't spent all my extra cash on wine to fill the cellar).

Charles Krug On the Road!

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jun 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JAT,
I also live in Seattle and have a wine room in my garage. When I originally put it in, during the winter a few years back, it never ran, and it seemed like it was going to be truly economical. After last summer where we have a bunch of 90+ degree days, I started to wonder, because it seemed to run much longer, but also it took a long time (maybe 4 hours) to drop the temperature to the level where it would shut off. Do you see similar cycles?

Posts: 552 | Location: Napa | Registered: Dec 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tpb, I definitely notice the difference from winter to summer. I leave mine on all the time as it automatically shuts itself off and turns itself on when it needs to. It is a busy boy in the summer - there are weeks at a time when I swear it never shuts off. That's okay, cause as you know there is almost no AC here in the Seattle area, so when a really hot day comes around and I can't take it anymore I just go in there with a corkscrew and a glass Cool

California Pinot

posted Hide Post
I have room in my basement for the wine room but I also use the area for TV viewing and game playing. The open area in the basement is all finished and is approximately 25x40'.

My questions are:

Can you exhaust the cooler into the area of a basement without having it heating the basement by hot exhaust?
How loud is the cooler?
The web site doesn't list any prices(I know they may have changed but I'm just looking for ranges) so what was the approximate cost for the size you folks have?
Do any of you have the wine room in your house instead of garage? If so what is your experience with noise and exhaust?

Thanks

Posts: 67 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
capitolkat:

"Can you exhaust the cooler into the area of a basement without having it heating the basement by hot exhaust?"

Yes. You can duct it. However, it is generally recommend the area where it is discharged is at least as big as the size of the cellar and that it be within 20 degrees +/- of the cellar temperature. However, I've been assured that you can exceed the temperature range if you spring for the higher grade insulation and a beefed up cooling unit.

"How loud is the cooler?"

Loud. You'll be hitting the up volume button on your TV remote.

"The web site doesn't list any prices(I know they may have changed but I'm just looking for ranges) so what was the approximate cost for the size you folks have?"

Go to any other website such as Wine Enthusiast and you can get ballpark pricing. My room is the one that holds just under 2,000 bottles and with upgraded insulation and cooling units the price climbed to just a hair over $5,000.

"Do any of you have the wine room in your house instead of garage?"

Not me. Mine will be installed in the garage next week. Supposedly the shipping company picked it up from the manufacturer in California yesterday. Big Grin

"If so what is your experience with noise and exhaust?"

As stated above, I'd expect it to be loud and it will warm the surrounding air. The key here is adequate ventilation. Have plenty of surrounding air available for discharge.

Joe

posted Hide Post
I agree with wineismylife, it is loud and would definitely interfere with TV watching at least from a volume perspective. I had it in my basement before we moved, but it was down there by itself. In the new place it's in the garage.

I have the one that holds just under 1,000 bottles and I bought it about 7 years ago and it was $3,500 (no upgrades).

California Pinot