Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NV Champagnes
 Login/Join 
posted
How can I find out when a champagne was released if there's no year or any other distinguishing mark on the bottle? I look up a champagne and there are several Wine Spectator listings for the NV yet there's nothing on the label indicating anything.

Posts: 13 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Mar 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in most cases, you cannot.

there's a push by consumers for Champagne houses to print a disgorgement date on their labels, but there's a lot of resistance because it would create differentiation, which is exactly what Champagne houses are trying to avoid with an NV bottle.

some smaller (farmer fizz) producers will state the disgorgement date, but it usually doesn't happen.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a few exceptions, you really can't tell.

Bruno Paillard and some small growers print the disgorgement date, and recently Krug began the practice.
Here is a good article on the subject.

Changes coming in disgorgement disclosure.

Posts: 2326 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the differentiation aspect of it, but isn't it their job to maintain the house style and make the various disgorgement undistinguishable from each other?

I'm more concerned about being sold something 12 yrs old that was meant to be drank a year or two after release? I guess having a negative impression of the product is not something they are worried about.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 473 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
I get the differentiation aspect of it, but isn't it their job to maintain the house style and make the various disgorgement undistinguishable from each other?

I'm more concerned about being sold something 12 yrs old that was meant to be drank a year or two after release? I guess having a negative impression of the product is not something they are worried about.

I certainly agree with you. I wish they were required.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The NV bottlings change packaging every few years, sometimes subtly and sometimes obviously. Keeping track of the labels will help you know when it hit the market, as well.

But I'll admit that's a lot of work for a relatively simple product.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found, personally, that many NV bottlings hold very well for several years, and some even get better with some cellar time. So if the bottle of NV was stored in a reasonably safe way--on the shelf in an air-conditioned shop at least, you shouldn't be stuck with a bad bottle due to age.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think nv can hold up for about 2-3 yers fine. Any longer and i think it turns into something different. I think nv is meant to be drunk sooner rather than later. Vintage is meant to be aged more in my mind.

Posts: 44 | Location: chicago | Registered: Oct 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindberg_Carl:
I think nv can hold up for about 2-3 yers fine. Any longer and i think it turns into something different. I think nv is meant to be drunk sooner rather than later. Vintage is meant to be aged more in my mind.

Completely disagree.

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i personally love aged NVs

sourness in the youthful bottles is something I just wont put up with.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12428 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so you too would like to know which NV bottles are aged vs youthful.

Sounds unanimous that adding disgorgement dates would be beneficial the the consumer for a variety or reasons.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 473 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
so you too would like to know which NV bottles are aged vs youthful.

Sounds unanimous that adding disgorgement dates would be beneficial the the consumer for a variety or reasons.

i dont personally care

I acutally will buy nv champers and literally just keep them int he cellar.

the nv veuve i opened yesterday was sitting in there for 5 years before i popped it.

it was slightly nutty, hints of sweetness, and none of the initial tartness.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12428 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post