WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What will you be drinking when Frankenstorm keeps you indoors?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will you be drinking when Frankenstorm keeps you indoors?
 Login/Join 
posted
First of all, I hope this storm is not as bad as some predict and that everyone on the east coast stays safe and healthy.

But what will you be drinking watching the wind and rains on Monday and Tuesday?

Let's hope that the storms burns itself out by Wednesday for all the trick or treaters.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5608 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What we'll be drinking isn't a problem. How to make steak aux poivres in a power failure is.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To stand up to the storm...this may require port. G-man, call it.

Posts: 123 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
What we'll be drinking isn't a problem. How to make steak aux poivres in a power failure is.

No problem here. A few candles, a gas range, cast iron skillet and a match. Donesky.

PH

Posts: 14971 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gas range also. And a headlamp!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Storm, what storm? I am just about to go barbecue some pizzas. It is sunny and 83. Devilish

I have an 05 Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval open now and will probably pop something to go with the pizzas.

I hope that everyone stays safe and dry out East.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2864 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last hurricane T-bird showed everybody that there's only one thing to drink.

Hurricanes.

Light and dark rum, passion fruit, orange and lime juice, simple syrup, and grenadine. Cheers.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2576 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my wife works for an airline (management), this storm has killed our Saturday night on the west coast.

Posts: 2385 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water has already made my dock disappear. Cul de sac is beginning to flood.....yard will be next.

2007 Charles Smith Skull tonight.

We shall see what tomorrow holds.... hopefully the power will hold for football. If so..... Bedrock.

www.khanrahan.com

Posts: 117 | Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia | Registered: Jan 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Water has already made my dock disappear. Cul de sac is beginning to flood.....yard will be next.

Best of luck Kevin. Stay safe.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5608 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
funny you mention port, stood up a few bottles of vintage port earlier in the day (2 a.m. lol) in preperation of the storm.

And although in wrong thread gman------- I drank a bottle of warres 83 last night (thursday) from beginning to end. Wink

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by differentdave:
funny you mention port, stood up a few bottles of vintage port earlier in the day (2 a.m. lol) in preperation of the storm.

And although in wrong thread gman------- I drank a bottle of warres 83 last night (thursday) from beginning to end. Wink

noice, just killed a dow 70s here

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11706 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that everyone stays safe.

The storm has passed us down here. It is now sunny and cool.

But the ocean is very rough. Huge waves. Lots of surfers out in it. And the beaches have lost a lot of sand.

Posts: 6433 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Saxum broken stones - My sister just called from Boynton Beach - She said that A1A is closed from flooding on & off from Boynton thru Del Ray,
Boca & Lauderdale - While the weather is warm & sunny, the water is rough and all the way up to the seawall! Standing by!

Posts: 84 | Location: New England | Registered: Jan 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish we had stuff like this in California. It's almost like you guys get to not go to work and go camping. FUN!

Posts: 8660 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FUN, until a tree comes down on your house or car.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
FUN, until a tree comes down on your house or car.

Fun. Yeah.... Like earthquakes and stuff. Crazy

Posts: 14971 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, perhaps that made me appear insensitive. I remember being in Maine a few summers and the hurricanes knocked out the power for days and it was fun. Sorry.

Posts: 8660 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a certain childlike excitement when crazy weather is inbound, spo. I totally get that.

I loved being snowed in for three days in 2010, however I didn't lose power and had some......interesting company for the duration. Winner

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Hmmm, perhaps that made me appear insensitive. I remember being in Maine a few summers and the hurricanes knocked out the power for days and it was fun. Sorry.

Absolutely nothing to be sorry for, spo! I know what you meant, as we all do. Like PH says, there is excitement, and if damage and injuries are minimal, it can even great some nice memories of candlelit dinners with wine and canned soup or pasta and canned clams.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I've never experienced a hurricane. My wife experienced the Quebec ice storm, and of course I remember Edmonton's killer tornado of 1987. I hope there will be minimal injuries and loss, and no deaths when the storm hits. Stay safe, everyone.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1367 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cracked a taylor 97 (in 375ml bottle) this am. First glass is yummy, splashed a little in my eggs after I was done cooking them (yummy). Havea 94 dominus to go with the steaks which will hopefully be bbq'd later during the storm (i often bbq during snow storms, power outages, etc (natural gas grill).
have had my fair share of fun weather (one of the advantages of living somewhere with 4 seasons I guess), i think this one may be over hyped a tad as well.
Everyone be safe and make sure you have a candle ready (to assist in the decanting process of course)

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently sitting in a hotel room overlooking the tarmac at Montreal airport, on which there is much standing water - not on the runways I presume, but where the planes taxi to get to the runways. Not sure if the worst here (which was not so bad, though lots of flights cancelled) has come and gone yet or not.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10623 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Storm has passed MD (Delmarva). Minimal damage and no power loss. Worst damage was corked bottle of 2007 spatlese.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 605 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Worst damage was corked bottle of 2007 spatlese.

Some might deem this a tragedy...

Seriously, good luck & godspeed to all of those affected. Us West-Coasters are fortunate enough to enjoy another sunny day. When the "Big One" gets us however, we'll be singing a different tune...

Posts: 1424 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post