WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What's your "wow" wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "wow" wine?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Visited Littorai in December and tasted through some 10-11 Chards and Pinots and I was wowed at the quality across the board. Great wines that compare very favorably to Burgundy for the price.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also a big Littorai fan.

A certain poster introducted me to Casanova de Neri.

Anything by Realm or Relic qualifies.

I have had a few French wines, but I guess that is the next area of exploration for me.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Visited Littorai in December and tasted through some 10-11 Chards and Pinots and I was wowed at the quality across the board. Great wines that compare very favorably to Burgundy for the price.

curious

is it really fair to drink a single winery, then compare it to an entire wine region with all kinds of different wines?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11857 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
We had one last night- 2003 Le Vieux Donjon CdP

I opened a mag of this at Thanksgiving, it was fantastic. Another family member asked my wife why I was hoarding that big bottle to myself!

Posts: 300 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 bottles of it left. I had hoped to hold them for a while, but that's looking doubtful after last night.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

curious

is it really fair to drink a single winery, then compare it to an entire wine region with all kinds of different wines?
What I meant was the wines I’ve had from Littorai for $65-$80 compare very favorably to the wines I have had in that same price range from Burgundy. Not sure if that is fair, but it’s been my experience so far.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

curious

What I meant was the wines I’ve had from Littorai for $65-$80 compare very favorably to the wines I have had in that same price range from Burgundy. Not sure if that is fair, but it’s been my experience so far.

i love littorai personally after being introduced by hippomon, but I can compare them with something like what henri gouges makes @ 50$. Ever try the house? they make some good fruit forward juice.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11857 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redline325:
quote:
We had one last night- 2003 Le Vieux Donjon CdP

I opened a mag of this at Thanksgiving, it was fantastic. Another family member asked my wife why I was hoarding that big bottle to myself!

I was quite surprised when I saw Board-O's post, as the first bottle I tried a couple of years ago was a hot mess. Now I'm intrigued since I never would have foreseen this approaching wow territory. Will be revisiting this wine soon!

Posts: 2928 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why I find young Rhones so hard to predict. They can seem really blah and then suddenly blossom.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why I find young Rhones / and Burgundy so hard to predict. They can seem really blah and then suddenly blossom.

I think Parker is the finest in predicting Rhone.

Posts: 30033 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Lousy at red Burgundy.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard. DOB wine and apparently a legendary Napa cap. I'd love to have a bottle of it for my 40th birthday in a couple years.

Posts: 38 | Location: 805 - California | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post