WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What's your "wow" wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "wow" wine?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. The answer has to be something that is not very common, or better yet, downright rare--either because it is a small production, or because most of the production has been consumed. Obviously, it has to be good--no, make that phenomenal. It has to have had enough of a reputation to capture my imagination BEFORE it magically appears in front of me. It also probably needs to carry a hefty price tag--if it were cheap, I would probably have bought a bottle by now. As a corollary, it would have to be something I don't already own. I can understand how some of you would like to relive a bottle that carries special memories, for me, it would have to be something that I've never really tried before.

How about any 1990 Hermitage from Chapoutier, JL Chave, or Paul Jabulet Aine?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If referring to the above statement, then I guess would have to be a Le Montachet from any vintage, as I have not been lucky enough to try one.
If talking about wines that have been drunk, then I would have to say something as simple as Chartley Estate Sav Blanc or Catalina Sounds Sav Blanc.
Why?
Beuatiful sweet tinned pineapple and kiwifruit flavours, sharpish acidity. Made me go WOW. We think this wine game is easy, but all those flavours tend towards sweetness yet those wines are relatively dry. That is what makes a WOW wine for me....
although my first DRC was pretty bl##dy good.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: Aug 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago: The '76 DRC GE.

My wife said it best, "It's like drinking rainbows."

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Cheval Blanc

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1626 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ridge Monte Bello and Leoville Barton.

Posts: 5497 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Ridge Monte Bello and Leoville Barton.
Vintage?

Posts: 6540 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95 and 03, respectively. Both experienced due to the generosity of others.

Posts: 5497 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
95 and 03, respectively. Both experienced due to the generosity of others.
I've had both and they are great wines for sure. That 03 Barton is a shocker because I really don't like 03 Bordeaux in general.

Posts: 6540 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first wow wine: 1997 Beringer Chardonnay Reserve, tasted at the winery in 1999 and 1996 Opus One in 2000.

Many wow wines since then.

Posts: 5168 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1/2 bottle of Karl Lawrence Cabernet at the French Laundry with Kobe Beef. Orgasmic.

Had never been into wine before this experience, had never had a glass of "quality" wine. This single glass of wine started me on the obsession I now have with wine.

I wish I had ordered a beer...

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1966 Cristal, it's hard to imagine any future wine drinking experience exceeding this. Wow...

Posts: 1691 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we’re going by the original question of what would you most make you go “wow” if it showed up at an offline, I’d have to say a Screagle. I will absolutely never buy one myself but I would love to try one. Le Pin would be in the same basket as well. Barring making many millions of dollars in a short period of time, I would never buy either but would love to experience them.

’78 la Chappelle would be right up there as well. Pre-1983 Cristal, or any Bollinger VVF would make me giddy. An NV Unico or an older Grange would make me swoon. The difference is that I can see myself buying any one of those at some point.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my first "wow" wine experience was in the summer of '84. After thinking Bully Hill and Boones Farm were the apex of sophistication, a 1970 Haut-Brion pretty much blew my mind.
My high School girlfriend's father drank BV Georges de Latour just about every night, and I learned to love those wines too.
Still have a few bottles of '68 left, and they still make me say wow.
I had more of a "holy shit, this is unbelievable" wine on my birthday this year- 1965 Hanzell pinot.
If I saw someone walk in with a bottle of that I'd be pretty stoked

Posts: 137 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Duval-Leroy Femme.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
1990 DRC La Tache

Sheer greatness, a perfect wine and a wine I can still taste. Bow

Posts: 30192 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1945 Croft. I defy anyone who enjoys vintage port and has tasted it to say otherwise. (no names, but you know who you are, B-O, g-man, and others.... Wink Razz Banana)

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10682 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
1945 Croft. I defy anyone who enjoys vintage port and has tasted it to say otherwise. (no names, but you know who you are, B-O, g-man, and others.... Wink Razz Banana)

bman,

I have never been a port person. If I buy and drink this, will it change my perception?

Posts: 30192 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

bman,

I have never been a port person. If I buy and drink this, will it change my perception?

1931 noval. holy grail. (alas not fortunate enogh to try it)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12260 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

bman,

I think with a wine that age, it would depend on provenance - the bottle I tasted had been sitting quietly and undisturbed in a nearly 300 year old cellar under St. James Street in London for 56 years (had it in 2005). All I can say is that it was far and away the best wine, dry or otherwise, I've ever had. Spookily ethereal. Highlight of my 20 years of winegeekiness. Didn't hurt that I was drinking it in an epic place in epic company.

But good luck finding a bottle! (and let me know if you do! Bow)

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10682 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, bman.

I think I have found a bottle, but need to confirm tomorrow.

I have had many ports back to the 1860's, but you grabbed my attention on this bottle.

Wait a minute... do you also enjoy wine from Australia? Razz Wink

posted Hide Post
If I say "no", might I get taste? Smile

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks, bman.

I think I have found a bottle, but need to confirm tomorrow.

I have had many ports back to the 1860's, but you grabbed my attention on this bottle.

Wait a minute... do you also enjoy wine from Australia? Razz Wink

let me nkow when to book the flight.

i unfortunately have had many ports back to the 1780s and unfortunately it's the wrong kind fo wow that goes with it.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12260 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a tough question. Many wines have made me "wow", but as I've experienced more wine, I'm not so sure those wines would bring out such a strong reaction.

The first "wow" wine I had was a '96 Spring Mountain Reserve Cabernet. I had it in 2008 (when I was just getting into wine) and it blew my mind that a wine could taste so fresh, and have such great secondary characteristics with such "age" (lol).

My real "wow" wines have been an '82 LLC (thanks to jburman), a '97 La Turque (thanks to jburman), an '88 Krug (thanks to jburman).... wait a second...

others were a '66 Pavie, and a '37 Ausone. Those were more of "wow, this is cool" experience. but still "wow".

I guess the list could go on for a while, thanks to forum members, and other generous winos.

Posts: 5020 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 Lynch Bages. Finally understood layered, and complexity in wine

Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one last night- 2003 Le Vieux Donjon CdP

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36919 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post