WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What's your "wow" wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "wow" wine?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ne Kulturny:
Not in the store because I wouldn't pay the tariff, but if I went to an off-line and someone pulled a Jayer Cros Parantoux (maybe '85, '90, '91, '99) I'd be very happy.

Except that would raise the bar for my contributions to future off-lines.

Ne Kulturny: Why wait for OTHERS to 'raise the bar' at your offlines. Someone has to take the initiative, and most forumites will tell you that MOST fellow winos are, by nature, VERY generous. It's epidemic, once started. Trust me. Wink

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Ne Kulturny:
Not in the store because I wouldn't pay the tariff, but if I went to an off-line and someone pulled a Jayer Cros Parantoux (maybe '85, '90, '91, '99) I'd be very happy.

Except that would raise the bar for my contributions to future off-lines.

Ne Kulturny: Why wait for OTHERS to 'raise the bar' at your offlines. Someone has to take the initiative, and most forumites will tell you that MOST fellow winos are, by nature, VERY generous. It's epidemic, once started. Trust me. Wink

Not to blow my own horn, but no-one has ever been less than very happy with my contributions to off-lines. The point is that Cros Parantoux is a whole new level.

Posts: 398 | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
1945 La Mission Haut Brion

http://www.premiercru.net/premier/shop/WineDetails.do?wineId=21831

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my best John Banner voice: " Isee nussing. I hear nussing."

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my best John Banner voice: " Isee nussing. I hear nussing."

I spend nussing.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! The bump of all bumps. Nice job! Buying that bad boy would sure help stimulate the economy! I'll bet it's delicious.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Wow! The bump of all bumps. Nice job! Buying that bad boy would sure help stimulate the economy! I'll bet it's delicious.

A few years ago, I searched for it after hearing BO say it was the best wine he has ever had.

It was out of my price range then, and although this is a lot lower (and frankly, a damn good price), it is still out of my range.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:
1945 La Mission Haut Brion

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone happen to know just what the release price was on this beauty, back in the day?

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contrary to popular belief, it was made before I was born.

It was the best wine I ever had when I had it; I'm not so sure I'd feel that way if I were to have it now, 10 or 15 years later. I had this wine at the perfect time.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1845? Razz

quote:
Contrary to popular belief, it was made before I was born.

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I've learned at least one thing tonight. (now set that aside)

To answer the question as best I can, I dream of being offered a top Burgundy at it's peak. I don't know the exact wine, let alone the exact vintage, and neither do you.

Posts: 2312 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing someone pop a '45 Mouton would practically get me aroused.

From Napa, I would love to see someone stroll in with a '74 Heitz Martha's.

I wouldn't kick someone with an '89 Petrus out either.

The '82 Mouton sits in the cellar waiting for someone to invite me to an offline.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: Nov 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of a charity event that happened in London last weekend. Some of the wow wines mentioned were served that night.

http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017493

Posts: 145 | Location: London | Registered: Oct 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love revisiting the wine that started it all for me...

1982 Haut Brion

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
or Powell's date.

You're killing me... Big Grin

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wine that started it for me was '76 Phelps Insignia

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobbyc:
This thread reminds me of a charity event that happened in London last weekend. Some of the wow wines mentioned were served that night.

http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017493
Did you attend the event Bobby? Where abouts in London are you?

Posts: 6538 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago, a business associate 'wowed' me at an outdoor salmon bake. He broke out a bottle of 1990 Dujac Clos de la Roche. I was astonished at his generosity, and left speechless by the wine.

Needless to say, I'm trying to do a lot more business with this guy.

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1441 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Glenn,

No I did not. The attendees were the highest bidders in an online auction. I think the 11 bids were from £1000 to £1200 with proceeds going to Pebbles Charity.

I live in Wandsworth which is southwest London. We are basically on the south side of the river Thames from Fulham.

Posts: 145 | Location: London | Registered: Oct 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello Glenn,

No I did not. The attendees were the highest bidders in an online auction. I think the 11 bids were from £1000 to £1200 with proceeds going to Pebbles Charity.

I live in Wandsworth which is southwest London. We are basically on the south side of the river Thames from Fulham.
Thanks for the info. We just moved to South Ken. Keep me in mind for offlines. My e-mail address is

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GlennK,

Posts: 6538 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

I will keep your email address and let you know about our next offline. We just had one last night with Longboarder.

I strongly recommend you register with the wine-pages forum here in the UK. There is a very active group of offliners in the London area. Heres the link: http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ultimatebb.cgi

Welcome to London, and I am sure we will see you sooner rather than later.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Glenn,

I will keep your email address and let you know about our next offline. We just had one last night with Longboarder.

I strongly recommend you register with the wine-pages forum here in the UK. There is a very active group of offliners in the London area. Heres the link: http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ultimatebb.cgi

Welcome to London, and I am sure we will see you sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the rec. on wine pages. I will check it out!

posted Hide Post
it was the '59 Lafite for me, without question. I still don't think I've ever had a wine that sang like that.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky2:
The '82 Mouton sits in the cellar waiting for someone to invite me to an offline.

August 15, 2014. Save the date. Smile

Posts: 2952 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i must go with the 1991 Mondavi Reserve (drank in 2004). this was the first wine i had that actually "spoke to me"..... some would say that i had to much, but never the less, it started this journey!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post