WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What's your "wow" wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "wow" wine?
 Login/Join 
posted
Just for fun, and just for discussion, what ONE wine would make you the most excited if you spied it at the LWS, or in the hand of a person entering the room at an offline?

Maybe it's a 1973 Stag's Leap, perhaps a 1961 Latour, heck, for some of us, it'd be a 1787 Lafitte (sic). Sounds dopey, but I'd go with a humble wine, a 1985 Cilurzo Petite Sirah. It'd probably be toast now, and it may have not been the best to start with, but I have some fantastic memories of sharing that wine with friends and family.

Others?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8892 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1945 Croft vintage port.

Best wine I've ever had, or expect to have, in that I cannot imagine enjoying a wine more than I did that one.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10725 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
02 D'Yquem

Posts: 187 | Registered: Feb 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to pick one. If a real Gemello or Martin Ray turned up for sale I'd be very interested. But for turning up at an offline I'd love to see an old Grange (1976?) or a Bin 60A (it could happen).

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'78 Paul Jaboulet Aine Hermitage La Chapelle.

I have never had it, but I would absolutely love the the opportunity to experience it. I doubt these things magically show up at offlines, but since you asked . . .

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:

I have never had it, but I would absolutely love the the opportunity to experience it. I doubt these things magically show up at offlines, but since you asked . . .

Don't be TOO doubtful, Keeno. There's more than one forumite amongst us capable of showing up at an off-line with such a bottle, and it would be just their style to do such. Wink

Posts: 15616 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1982 mouton-cadet,oh you probably mean wow in a good way(xmas present gone wrong)

Posts: 193 | Registered: Aug 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:

Don't be TOO doubtful, Keeno. There's more than one forumite amongst us capable of showing up at an off-line with such a bottle, and it would be just their style to do such. Wink

I just hope I'm invited. Heck, a plane ticket to most places would be cheaper than buying the bottle!

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bodhi:
1982 mouton-cadet,oh you probably mean wow in a good way(xmas present gone wrong)

OMG!!! A 1982 Mouton Rothschild --Bidet??? How horrible.

-IB

Posts: 8892 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Guiraud. I muttered Holy S#** when it hit my palate.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:

Sounds almost blasphemous, Berno! Wink

Probably a 1982 Mouton-cadet,oh you probably mean wow in a good way(xmas present gone wrong).

PH

Posts: 15309 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:

Sounds almost blasphemous, Berno! Wink

Probably a 1982 Mouton-cadet,oh you probably mean wow in a good way(xmas present gone wrong).

PH

I'm a sinner. What can I say?

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
85 Krug - I was speechless from the first sip

Posts: 90 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Apr 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 DRC La Tache

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7655 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Harlan Estate. By far the best bottle of wine I have ever had. IT has always been great, but the first time was amazing...probably about 5 or 6 years ago.

Posts: 306 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll pick two: either a 61 Lafite or an 85 DRC Romanee St Vivant. Reason is these are two specific wines I remember my father talking about when I was young. I am not 100% sure on the year of the DRC but I still rememere his description..he said "when we opened it, the entire room smelled of mulled spices...I could smell it from 10 feet away." He drank that side by side with a DRC RC and said the St Vivant was better.

On a side note for the LA folks reading this..my father used to purchase all of his wine from Red Carpet...the old owner John (I think David bought it from him) used to give him the opportunity to buy special wines like the DRC's...I think he paid around ~$200 for a Romanee Conti.

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: Oct 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1945 La Mission Haut Brion

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1945 Biondi Santi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva: they have it for sale for 4700 Euros at the Enoteca la Fortezza in Montalcino.

I'd choose it because my girlfriend and I both love Brunello, we took a trip to Montalcino together, and for sentimental value as this was one of the first great vintages from the first Brunello producer.

I'm sure there are a lot of other wines I would rate higher and would choose based on taste, but this bottle would bring a great emotional component.

On a sidenote, we ordered a bottle of 1993 Tenuta di Collosorbo to drink during a lunch at the Fortezza which was in the case next to the Santi. When the women came over to see what wine we wanted, I motioned towards the '45...the expression on her face was priceless...followed by..."may I join you?"

She took us up on our offer of sharing a glass of the less impressive, but very good '93

Posts: 986 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me there are three "wow" wines. The 86' Talbot that got me really interested in wine, the 82' Haut Brion that is the best wine i've had, and an 89 Beaucastel that was just incredible. It would be a real pleasure to enjoy any of those three again.

Posts: 230 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: Jul 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any good vintage of Laville Haut-Brion

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1933 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
or in the hand of a person entering the room at an offline?

Selma Hayek

Was that the question?

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7679 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or Powell's date. Big Grin

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7679 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in the store because I wouldn't pay the tariff, but if I went to an off-line and someone pulled a Jayer Cros Parantoux (maybe '85, '90, '91, '99) I'd be very happy.

Except that would raise the bar for my contributions to future off-lines.

Posts: 398 | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
or in the hand of a person entering the room at an offline?

Selma Hayek

Was that the question?

Big Grin Well said!

-IB

posted Hide Post
mmmmm, good one indybob. tough question as there are more then one... but if i had to pick:

probably any decent vintage, 15+ year old Monte Bello

Posts: 4222 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post