WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What's your best California wines pre-1975?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your best California wines pre-1975?
 Login/Join 
posted
Here's mine:

Note: These were all tasted between 1975 and 2008. Never tasted the BV PR '51.

1)BV PR 1958: Had several times over the years as it's my wife's birthday year and it was always amazing. Had every decade since the '70s.

2)Heitz MV 1969: Joe's favorite and mine as well. While the '68 and the '70 were bigger wines, this had impeccable balance and a terrific cross between Calif and French winemaking. Last tasted early '00s.

3)Yverdon Cask 88 - 1970: The best wine from a great year. A shame it's little noticed. Tasted 3 times last in the '90s.

4)Inglenook Cask F-6 - 1959: First year for the Cask Series (I believe) and rich and powerful. Tasted once in the early '80s.

5)Ridge MB - 1971: Great wine in a so-so year. Prefer it to the '70. Tasted a number of times last mid-2005.

6) Hallcrest 1958: A stunning wine I had in the late '80s. Got it for free because the wine shop owner thought it was to old to drink. Wrong! Tasted once (thanks!) mid-80's.

Never cared a whole lot for the '74s. Had a bunch of early to mid '60s and most were drying out by the early '80s. The wines from the '50s have actually held up better.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing older than 1997 for california wines.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the wines you list, I have had the 1970 Yverdon (in the mid-1990s), and was thoroughly impressed by the mint and fresh currant fruit.

I've had the Heitz 1970, 1974, and 1975. The 1970 was my favorite.

The Inglenook Casks, 1968, 69, and 70 were quite tasty through 1990.

In the late 1990s, a group I tasted with did a retrospective of 1970s Cal Cabs... Most were falling apart or had suffered in the bottle due to bad provenance.

Of course, the wines of the 1950s through 1970s tended to be lower in alcohol and structured more like Bordeaux.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1710 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oldest was a 1991 Pine Ridge Andrus Reserve (stunning) and waiting for some 1979 and 1981 Diamond Creek...

Posts: 855 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing older than various 1987's. I am willing to try however.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wines I've had from the 70's and previous:

In order of preference.

1969 Inglenook Estate bottled; best cab I've had regardless of this side of the pond, or the other side. Great, great wine.

1954 Louis Martini Northern California; another solid cab with great fruit; very vibrant.

1974 Freemark Abby Bosche Vineyard; vibrant, but also feminine.

1974 Mayacamas Cabernet; A great showing for this bottle. Very much alive.

1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard; I was disappointed in this bottle, but don't feel it was a representative showing.

1970 Concannon; hanging by a thread, but still drinkable.

1947 Beaulieu Vineyard GDL; heat damaged.

Posts: 928 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StanS:
Here's mine:

Note: These were all tasted between 1975 and 2008. Never tasted the BV PR '51.

1)BV PR 1958: Had several times over the years as it's my wife's birthday year and it was always amazing. Had every decade since the '70s.

2)Heitz MV 1969: Joe's favorite and mine as well. While the '68 and the '70 were bigger wines, this had impeccable balance and a terrific cross between Calif and French winemaking. Last tasted early '00s.

3)Yverdon Cask 88 - 1970: The best wine from a great year. A shame it's little noticed. Tasted 3 times last in the '90s.

4)Inglenook Cask F-6 - 1959: First year for the Cask Series (I believe) and rich and powerful. Tasted once in the early '80s.

5)Ridge MB - 1971: Great wine in a so-so year. Prefer it to the '70. Tasted a number of times last mid-2005.

6) Hallcrest 1958: A stunning wine I had in the late '80s. Got it for free because the wine shop owner thought it was to old to drink. Wrong! Tasted once (thanks!) mid-80's.

Never cared a whole lot for the '74s. Had a bunch of early to mid '60s and most were drying out by the early '80s. The wines from the '50s have actually held up better.

That's one hell of a list!

I'm off by a single year. I had the chance to taste the '76 Heitz Martha's Vineyard, courtesy of SD Wineaux. Heitz is already one of my favorite producers, and this one exceeded expectations. I have also had the '75 & '79 Stag's Leap SLV, and those were awesome too. It's a shame that Stag's Leap WC is merely a shadow of its former self as far as quality is concerned.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. 1984 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (not pre-1975, but I had to throw it in.)

2. Yes, you read it right- 1974 Clos du Bois Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

3. 1970 and 1974 BV GdL Reserve

4. 1974 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
StanS, I located a 1974 retrospective tasting piece I posted in 2005. You can access it at:

http://forums.winespectator.co...=875105323#875105323

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1710 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been tracking 1973 Caymus....pinot.

Found a case under a basement in 1993 and have been drinking a bottle now and again for the past 19 years. Amazing. I have one bottle left.

1969 Mondavi pinot - same tale as above, one bottle left. Great.

1972 Sutter Home zin in one of them there giant bottles. Drank it in 2010. Couldn't believe it.

Had a '74 Heitz MV because of all the hype. Drank it in 1990. It was all they said it would be, but was only 16 years along at the time.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1287 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
1. 1984 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (not pre-1975, but I had to throw it in.)

2. Yes, you read it right- 1974 Clos du Bois Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

3. 1970 and 1974 BV GdL Reserve

4. 1974 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Good to hear on the Clos du Bois. I actually have a bottle of this with a great fill level. Hope it shows as well as yours.

Posts: 928 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a list maker or keeper in general.

I've had some great old Martin Ray's, some average ones and some that were just old. The 68 Monte Bello has been great the times I've had it. yhn brought a 60 Gemello that was really great to a dinner. I can't recall a bad Gemello ever and many great ones. I have a small stash of 66 Uvas that has been remarkable given it was a $1.45 wine on release.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'65 Hanzell- one of the best wines I've ever had.
Still loving the '68 BV GdL, and the '69 Freemark Abbey Petite Sirah. Glad I have a stash of both left.
Had a '74 Heitz MV with a '47 BV GdL at Cyrus in Healdsburg last fall, and both were amazing.
'58 Inglenook F-10 was pretty stunning as well.

Posts: 136 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:

Found a case under a basement in 1993 and have been drinking a bottle now and again for the past 19 years. Amazing. I have one bottle left.

Okay, found under "a" basement?!? Do tell! Eek

Cheers!

Posts: 2886 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bordeaux Razz

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6589 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:

Okay, found under "a" basement?!? Do tell! Eek

One day, while searching for Hoffa, I stumbled across... Big Grin

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post