WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Time for another retrospective?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for another retrospective?
 Login/Join 
posted
We did a few early last year that I thought were fun and informative. How about an early 10 year look at one of the following this month? A hot year all around, so it will be interesting to see how the wines of the world are progressing from the 2003 vintage.

Question:
What 10 year retrospective would you be interested in this month?

Choices:
2003 German Riesling
2003 Bordeaux
2003 California Cab and/or Merlot
Other (please specify)

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1864 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also be interested in 2003 CdP.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3354 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOTA. On the first three. I'd like to hear some updates on 2000 Bordeaux and 1996 Barolo/Barbaresco.

PH

Posts: 14645 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhone ( Northern & Southern red) and Cotes de Nuits.

Posts: 29569 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of an 03 CdP retro. Otherwise, I would be up for participating in 03 Bdx or CA tasting.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2823 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1959 Bordeaux, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

We will take that as an other vote.

Posts: 29569 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea for 2003 CA Cab/Merlot but would love to see one for 1998. Recently read a cool article about 98 and 97 in Wine & Spirits.

Posts: 8509 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Surely better saved for an off-line.
CdP/Rhone would be a good one. Would have added it but too late now as I would reset the pol and cancel some votes out, which would be very undemocratic of me.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Great idea! You ship a different bottle to each forumite, we'll all open them on the same weekend, and report back. Thanks for the generous offer. Big Grin

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2893 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for Bordeaux, but really, I would enjoy doing any, all, or "other".

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2893 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
NOTA. On the first three. I'd like to hear some updates on 2000 Bordeaux and 1996 Barolo/Barbaresco.

PH[/QUOTE

+1

Posts: 1460 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

PH[/QUOTE

+1

+ deux

Posts: 1600 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the 2003 bordeauxs are just not fun to drink now.

still trying to shed the baby fat

the 2003 cali cabs i've had are just dumb. oaky and umm oaky with some fruit hiding in the back.

Though, personally i think it's time for an 83/85 Port retrospective as these suckers are approaching 30 years and are typically affordable to all. ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10994 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Redhawk. My 1959s are down to a precious few.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for '03 CdP. Cali would be my 2nd choice.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 03 Cdp's and Left bank Bordeaux I've tried have been open for business. 03 Mordoree and 03 Giscours and Lynch-Bages are drinking well now.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
The 03 Cdp's and Left bank Bordeaux I've tried have been open for business. 03 Mordoree and 03 Giscours and Lynch-Bages are drinking well now.

So what is your vote? Confused

posted Hide Post
The only 2003 I have is a Numanthia. So, if anyone is up for an '03 Toro retrospecive, I'm in! Or, if DanTheRhoneFan wants to bring another Leoville Barton to my home, I can change the vote... Razz

Posts: 5147 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for Bordeaux, as I don't have any bottles of the others from 2003.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:

So what is your vote? Confused

Big Grin

That was mwg's mini-retrospective. He's done..... Off to confuse us in other threads.

PH

Posts: 14645 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
That was mwg's mini-retrospective. He's done..... Off to confuse us in other threads.

PH

Big Grin

Exactly

Posts: 15118 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bordeaux showing strong support in the late night hours. Other fine ideas offered as well. Good thing we have 12 months (or 51 more weeks, 360 more days) left this year to have as many online off-lines as we want. I'll close the polls at 6 on Sunday for this one. That should give plenty of us a chance to vote.

posted Hide Post
Aren't 2003 Bordeauxs and Cali cabs the same thing? Banana

I vote for 1988 Bordeaux, 2001 Bordeaux or 88 or 90 Champagne.

Posts: 4159 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Bordeaux, but the 2000 Bordeaux option would be interesting too. I've had some good ones recently on the lower end.

Posts: 117 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post