WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Buyers of the Wine Advocate are importers of wine in Singapore!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buyers of the Wine Advocate are importers of wine in Singapore!
 Login/Join 
posted
http://www.decanter.com/news/w...o-fine-wine-merchant

Talk amongst yourselves.

Let's keep in mind the severity of this claim.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 752 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care. After hearing people bitch non-stop about points, Australia, Spain and that Parker likes Shiraz while connosiuers like Burgundy therefore he cannot be a true wine lover I just don't want to hear about it anymore. I hope he rates their whole portfolio 100 points and they sell out at exorbitant prices. It is wine for goodness sakes, not a matter of life or death!

Posts: 8764 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So?

Only look at RMP and Italian reviews. Rest are a pain in the butt.

who will review China? Like I care

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6418 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although NY Retailer clearly has a hardon for all things Parker (and Suckling BTW), it's a legitimate question whether a supposed independent wine rating source has a conflict of interest when the controlling owner sells wine futures.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Parker's tastes are much different than mine, I'll agree that the bashing of him on various boards does get tiresome. However, this is certainly a legitimate issue to raise.

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.lastbottlewines.com/invite/0afe3ca693abaf078afeb3779d49acb72a83998c

Posts: 123 | Location: Kansas City Area | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Although NY Retailer clearly has a hardon for all things Parker (and Suckling BTW), it's a legitimate question whether a supposed independent wine rating source has a conflict of interest when the controlling owner sells wine futures.

Yes, only me.

Thank you...I think.

Parker originally wrote, "They are totally independent of the wine industry and have a very global vision that is essential in today's world."

Yesterday, he wrote, "One of the investors was required...in order to invest in TWA, to sell their interest in a wine company,as this was an abolute prerequisite to participation), and that was done."

The "..." are his, not mine. I have not excluded anything. Just an FYI.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 752 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So tonight I have not been drinking and I still can't bring myself to care.

Posts: 8764 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a serious issue for anyone who takes WA ratings seriously. If you don't, then keep calm, and carry on. But if you do, you will have to find another place for wine commentary and ratings, as the conflict is clear.

For my part, aside from a few trusted commentaries (several on these forums) I have long relied only on celartracker.com and its wisdom-of-the-crowd for wine buying advice.

And before anyone jumps in to say that they rely on none but their own palate or whatever, I would do the same if I could taste wines before I bought them but alas, that is nearly impossible here Frown

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10737 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ratings are a big part of the wine business...

whether it is consumers, importers, retailers, or producers, ratings matter.

And if you are saying that you have never bought a wine based upon a score, from anywhere, I call BS.

In this instance, a highly influential ratings magazine has been sold, allegedly, to an importer of wines. Period.

That seems scary...to me.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
NY,

Ratings are a huge part of the business and does sell a decant amount of wine.

Not so much for the Two Buck Chuck crowd or the Silver Oak drinkers but I have seen countless shelf talkers sell wine even though the vintage was not correct.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. A couple times before Parker has been betrayed by people he trusted, stood by them for too long as they stabbed him in the back, then gradually backpedaled under intense pressure while maintaining a high degree of denial.

I think he's too pompous to knowingly besmirch his own name by selling to this conflicted interest, so I'm guessing he was overly trusting once again. Now he's backpedaling once again, with a heavy does of denial. Some people never learn.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that Bman and I will just have to start our own Canadian version of the WA.
Start lining up for subscriptions...

Posts: 105 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
Hmm. A couple times before Parker has been betrayed by people he trusted, stood by them for too long as they stabbed him in the back, then gradually backpedaled under intense pressure while maintaining a high degree of denial.

I think he's too pompous to knowingly besmirch his own name by selling to this conflicted interest, so I'm guessing he was overly trusting once again. Now he's backpedaling once again, with a heavy does of denial. Some people never learn.

So, will this deal die? Like Cos buying Montelena?

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that Bman and I will just have to start our own Canadian version of the WA.
Start lining up for subscriptions...

I think Natalie McLean already beat you to it!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2666 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post