WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
imo, there's nothing that can be too expensive too drink. for me, it's more of who i'm sharing the bottle with and what the occasion is.

there's nothing worse than sharing a bottle of wine with someone you find revolting but appreciates wine. it would spoil the experience for me regardless of how much/little the wine cost.

you mean if he had a big hairy mole on his nose? I feel slighted =(

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

why? there are plenty of blind tasters out there who would make great drinking buddies. Wink

i meant people with different personalities than what i'm able to put up with. and i've met a few in my lifetime.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

why? there are plenty of blind tasters out there who would make great drinking buddies. Wink

i meant people with different personalities than what i'm able to put up with. and i've met a few in my lifetime.

TallGirl,

I must inquire, just how tall? Big Grin

Full disclosure, I'm a skosh under 6'4".

Posts: 30181 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every wine I own was purchased with the intention of drinking, but if the opportunity arose to sell my single bottle of 2000 Chateau Lafleur at current auction price, I would probably do it.

Posts: 10151 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Every wine I own was purchased with the intention of drinking, but if the opportunity arose to sell my single bottle of 2000 Chateau Lafleur at current auction price, I would probably do it.

Steve, I really hope you do not sell.

You do not need the money, and this could truly be so so special. The '45 I had was such a joy and still a bottle I think about.

Posts: 30181 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I second that remark (not selling).

It's easy for us to lose sight of why we began cellaring in the beginning. For me it was to age wines in a controlled environment that I knew were cared for properly. But also to be able to enjoy many wines that become out of realistic reach when ready to drink. To purchase at release prices allowed it to be affordable.

Surely, it can become a matter of economics for some as life changes, and at times changes can bring financial pressures with it. But if one does not really have a 'need' to liquidate than why do it, really? I'm not referring to palate changes or preferences here either.

Posts: 15568 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Sadly, nothing in my cellar is just too expensive to drink. With cellars people on here have, many might think much of the wines in my cellar are just too cheap to drink.

eyesintime - I can help you change this Smile

Posts: 720 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
TallGirl,

I must inquire, just how tall? Big Grin

Full disclosure, I'm a skosh under 6'4".

hehe .. i hate coming up with monikers but i was thinking of a tall boy beer. but if i called myself a tall boy, you'd think i was a dude. so i changed it to a tall girl.

but i'm so not tall - quite the opposite.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

hopefully I can convince you i have something worth while in my cellar for you to open that bottle to share!!

Lafleur is on my bucket list of wines to try

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You do not need the money, and this could truly be so so special. The '45 I had was such a joy and still a bottle I think about.

But it could be corked. Eek I'm not actively looking to sell it, but $1500 is a lot for a bottle of fermented grape juice.

Posts: 10151 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

But it could be corked. Eek I'm not actively looking to sell it, but $1500 is a lot for a bottle of fermented grape juice.

...and it is nothing in the grand scheme of things for a wine that could make your top 5, ever.

Look, you and I spoke candidly recently while sharing 3 bottles of vino. We are now both north of 50, and we will both be jumping off of this merry-go-round very soon, and neither of us are fretting about much of anything anymore in life. Open this damn wine with family and friends and seize the moment.

I will make you a deal, Steve. If you truly want to sell it, I will buy it from you next week, and drink it with you in 2020.

Your call. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

...and it is nothing in the grand scheme of things for a wine that could make your top 5, ever.

Look, you and I spoke candidly recently while sharing 3 bottles of vino. We are now both north of 50, and we will both be jumping off of this merry-go-round very soon, and neither of us are fretting about much of anything anymore in life. Open this damn wine with family and friends and seize the moment.

I will make you a deal, Steve. If you truly want to sell it, I will buy it from you next week, and drink it with you in 2020.

Your call. Wink

i called dibs!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
You have ALWAYS made me laugh, gman.

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your call. Wink

well said, sir

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W&A, this could be a totally separate thread but when did you start thinking like that?
always?
30's
40's
post 50?

Posts: 1694 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
W&A, this could be a totally separate thread but when did you start thinking like that?

Meaning drink the wine...do not sell/trade?

posted Hide Post
quote:
always?
30's
40's
post 50?

In utero. Wink

PH

Posts: 15222 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
In utero. Wink

PH

Big Grin

Posts: 15568 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Sadly, nothing in my cellar is just too expensive to drink. With cellars people on here have, many might think much of the wines in my cellar are just too cheap to drink.

How Hippo? You going to send me some expensive bottles for my cellar? Big Grin

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

hippomon has certainly been one of the very generous members on this board, please don't doubt him.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is one option ...
Another is to sell you really cheap wine for a lot of money Smile

Devilish

Posts: 720 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your call. Wink

Very generous offer W+A, but I wouldn't sell it to a friend for $1500 and I wouldn't sell it for a more reasonable price.

In my hypothetical situation I have an opportunity to sell it to someone I don't know for that price. Unlikely.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is one option ...
Another is to sell you really cheap wine for a lot of money Smile

Devilish

Touche! And then it could be too expensive to open and too cheap to open.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Meaning drink the wine...do not sell/trade?

No, I actually wasn't really referring to wine.
Just the whole, seize the moment talk. It's easy to talk the talk and/or exercise the talk most of the time but to actually "be" that person requires a lot of just letting go.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother has been like that from the moment we met years ago. Having been through life changing events, it really gives you a different perspective.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post