WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that since the RP rating of 2009 Pontet, I might end up selling one of my cases of that sometime in the future in order to make me nearly whole on my other 2009 purchases. Not all of it, mind you. I'll still be drinking a lot of those babies.

Posts: 1046 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
No thropy purchases but I have some Lafite and DRC that I honestly can't see drinking with current prices. It's just a matter of internalizing the choice to sell them and doing that.

If you don't mind opening them, I'll happily drink it for you ;-)

No way you drink this, it is the french version of Pi-Not- It is not PORT Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hippomon,

Posts: 708 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing in my cellar that I won't drink.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 I won't drink. A 1979 Opus One and a 1976 Jordan Cab.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I have 2 I won't drink. A 1979 Opus One and a 1976 Jordan Cab.

Big Grin ...I have a '73 Mouton, but it is not in my cellar, but on my kitchen counter.

Posts: 29553 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short. I will drink anything at any time.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this issue with some bordeaux that I came upon in the last decade or so. Every wine was bought with the intention of eventually drinking it, but the way prices have blown up really makes me think twice.

I also realize that while I intend to drink them all I am mortal. I don't honestly expect to drink every bottle in my cellar, life is fleeting.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5516 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grossie, many of the greatest wines I've ever had have been with a friend of mine in the wine business. Some of them have been mine and some his. He and I made a pact. If and when either of us gets "the diagnosis," we're going to get together and share our best.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a sentence i dont want to be written on my grave:
"Here lies the idiot that didn't drink his potentially best wine"

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1734 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
grossie, many of the greatest wines I've ever had have been with a friend of mine in the wine business. Some of them have been mine and some his. He and I made a pact. If and when either of us gets "the diagnosis," we're going to get together and share our best.

What a wonderful pact. Here's hoping you don't get to pop those corks for a long time to come.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sold off the over inflated price bottles from my cellar so if the situation warrants it, all bottles are fair game. Except my kid's better 2003 birth year wines which are surely not the most valuable in there.

Posts: 2370 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, newsguy!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
There is nothing that I wouldn't drink if the desire hit. That being said, I would sell some of the 'trophy' wines if I HAD to. I hope that time never comes.

I could also see selling / trading down the road if my pallet changes.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 720 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
64 Petrus..Just sleeps, sleeps and sleeps. I need to just create an event and do it..

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1031 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing in the cellar that I would not pull for a dinner with family or friends. Some deserve a group who will appreciate them, and some, in particular Ports and Sauternes, should be shared among more than two people, and I may even sell a few bottles if it looks like I have too many of one wine. Nothing is off limits because of price or sentimentality.

OTOH. If I owned a bunch of Lafitte, it would have been packed off to auction.

Posts: 2228 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, nothing in my cellar is just too expensive to drink. With cellars people on here have, many might think much of the wines in my cellar are just too cheap to drink.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2572 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Sadly, nothing in my cellar is just too expensive to drink. With cellars people on here have, many might think much of the wines in my cellar are just too cheap to drink.

I'm sure that's not so. One needn't spend a lot to drink well, just wisely.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sade58:
64 Petrus..Just sleeps, sleeps and sleeps. I need to just create an event and do it..

How is its upcoming 50th birthday not a special event? Especially among us who share that birthday?

Would it pair well with a '64 Dom?

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:

How is its upcoming 50th birthday not a special event? Especially among us who share that birthday?

Would it pair well with a '64 Dom? ... it would indeed!

If you are going to drink '64 Bordeaux, let it be Pomerol. I hope the bottle shows very well.

Posts: 29553 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:

Would it pair well with a '64 Dom? ... it would indeed!

If you are going to drink '64 Bordeaux, let it be Pomerol. I hope the bottle shows very well.

Oh yea! This could happen.. My brother -in law just moved to Silver lake..Hmmmm

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1031 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yea! This could happen.. My brother -in law just moved to Silver lake..Hmmmm

Excellent! Smile

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed, but sometimes things like this happen! Caution: this is a bad story that happened to guy who is like many of us!

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5516 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Board-O,

Oh, I'm not saying I drink complete plonk or anything. And, I have things in my cellar that most on the board would enjoy drinking. Just nothing too expensive that I wouldn't drink, and my best is well below what others drink on a great wine night.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2572 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Board-O,

Oh, I'm not saying I drink complete plonk or anything. And, I have things in my cellar that most on the board would enjoy drinking. Just nothing too expensive that I wouldn't drink, and my best is well below what others drink on a great wine night.

amongst a few board member i'm sure alot of our bests are well below what they drink on a great wine night =)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10990 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
imo, there's nothing that can be too expensive too drink. for me, it's more of who i'm sharing the bottle with and what the occasion is.

there's nothing worse than sharing a bottle of wine with someone you find revolting but appreciates wine. it would spoil the experience for me regardless of how much/little the wine cost.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post