WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, Any wines in the cellar that's just too expensive to drink?
 Login/Join 
posted
different variation on a common theme.

Got that trophy bottle in the cellar that you refuse to open no matter who's over, so you can show it off? (Perhaps a 1787 Lafite?)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12486 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not yet... Maybe when I retire. But I drink mostly plonk anyways.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2792 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No thropy purchases but I have some Lafite and DRC that I honestly can't see drinking with current prices. It's just a matter of internalizing the choice to sell them and doing that.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7682 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
No thropy purchases but I have some Lafite and DRC that I honestly can't see drinking with current prices. It's just a matter of internalizing the choice to sell them and doing that.

If you don't mind opening them, I'll happily drink it for you ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12486 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you consider trophy wines if Lafite or DRCs aren't one of them? Smile

Posts: 5208 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no wines that I won't drink. I have quite a few wines that appreciated significantly in price since I bought them, but I bought them to drink and that's what I'm going to do. I just hope my health holds up long enough for me to get around to them.

The very top ones, of course, are intended for sharing mostly with folks from here. As DoktaP is always quick to point out, that just enhances the pleasure.

Cheers!

Posts: 8634 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

I have no wines that I won't drink.

+1.

Posts: 30390 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2. I might not open them on a random Tuesday night, but I bought them to drink them.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 3009 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
+2. I might not open them on a random Tuesday night, but I bought them to drink them.

I'll second that. I've got some high end Cali Cab and good Bordeaux that are close to "won't open", but more very special occasion bottles once they're properly aged.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some older Bordeaux, IF I've already enjoyed the wine, then I may consider selling it and replacing it with another older wine I haven't tasted yet.

Aside from that, enjoying great bottles with friends & forumites does enhance the pleasure.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
enjoying great bottles with friends & forumites does enhance the pleasure.

Absolutely. Big +1 on that!

I also agree that I have wines in my cellar that are worth significant $$, but I will drink them, preferably in the company of someone else who can truly appreciate what's in the glass.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you have a great occasion and awesome company, nothing is too expensive imo...

Posts: 889 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to have some stellar wines in my cellar. A few have been designated for special family events and they've been ear marked. Others will almost certainly be opened with friends that I have met, and friends that I will make before I meet my maker. There's not a single bottle in my cellar that is more important or valuable than family and friends, and they will ALL be enjoyed with others.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5861 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once it's in the cellar, it's for drinking. As others have said, there are some bottles that are slated for special occasions. I hope to have many of those in the years to come.

PH

Posts: 15348 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I am fortunate to have some stellar wines in my cellar. A few have been designated for special family events and they've been ear marked. Others will almost certainly be opened with friends that I have met, and friends that I will make before I meet my maker. There's not a single bottle in my cellar that is more important or valuable than family and friends, and they will ALL be enjoyed with others.

Well said!

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:

They were not purchased with any intention but to drink them. The last Lafite I bought was 96 at $225 and the DRC's I have were under $400 when I bought them. Most of the DRC's are 'free' I bought 6 and flipped 5 to pay for the one I kept.

They sit there now though and I think I could get a lot more pleasure out of the 2k the bottles would bring than I'd get drinking them. I really look at them as more of a scorn than a trophy. They were purchased to consume, and I doubt I will consume them, that bugs me.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7682 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have nearly the gems some of you fine folks do, but that being said I've never bought a bottle that I don't plan on consuming myself or with friends. I'm also pretty sure I'll never buy something at a price point that would give me pause about future consumption.

Posts: 5557 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:

They were not purchased with any intention but to drink them. The last Lafite I bought was 96 at $225 and the DRC's I have were under $400 when I bought them. Most of the DRC's are 'free' I bought 6 and flipped 5 to pay for the one I kept.

They sit there now though and I think I could get a lot more pleasure out of the 2k the bottles would bring than I'd get drinking them. I really look at them as more of a scorn than a trophy. They were purchased to consume, and I doubt I will consume them, that bugs me.

can i convince you if i had you over for 3 days and 3 full hogs?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
My cellar is for drinking. I would open any bottle any day of the week. There are a few 08’s set aside for anniversary’s down the road, but other than that it is game on. I actually like drinking the better bottles during the week. Nothing brightens up a long work week like a grand cru burg on a Tuesday or a fabulous brunello on a Wednesday. Weekends are for golf, bbq, beer and cocktails.

That said, if a bottle I purchased increased in value to the point I would rather buy something else than drink the wine, I would have no problem selling. I had a friend in London that sold some cases of 82 Bordeaux that paid for a $50K remodel of his kitchen. Seems like a good deal to me….

Posts: 6590 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm rationing my older special wines, like 1959 First Growths and DRCs. Since I won't be replacing them, they are strictly for special occasions.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37110 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with everyone that wine in my cellar is to be drunk, with 2 exceptions. The first being, if I fall out of love with a particular variety I have no issues selling/trading it for something I do like.

Second, I bought a few cases of 'high end' bordeaux and super tuscans in the birth year of my 2 little ones.....I dont intend to drink those unless they open one up with me. If they dont seem to have the passion for wine like I do, well, I guess they can sell it back to me, at the "family" discount of course Big Grin

I tend to open nicer bottles during the week as well as I have very little time on weekends to really sit down and enjoy it. And like Glenn said, it makes for a shorter week! Plus, I tend to enjoy a cigar or two on weekends more so than during the week. I very rarely open up anything nice if I smoke.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Agree with everyone that wine in my cellar is to be drunk, with 2 exceptions. The first being, if I fall out of love with a particular variety I have no issues selling/trading it for something I do like.

Second, I bought a few cases of 'high end' bordeaux and super tuscans in the birth year of my 2 little ones.....I dont intend to drink those unless they open one up with me. If they dont seem to have the passion for wine like I do, well, I guess they can sell it back to me, at the "family" discount of course Big Grin

I tend to open nicer bottles during the week as well as I have very little time on weekends to really sit down and enjoy it. And like Glenn said, it makes for a shorter week! Plus, I tend to enjoy a cigar or two on weekends more so than during the week. I very rarely open up anything nice if I smoke.

a man true to his word, after seeing a wild 1990 salon appear out of the brush!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

a man true to his word, after seeing a wild 1990 salon appear out of the brush!

HA! Well I almost always drink plonk! It was $hitty day Gman.....but it ended quite well Wink

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
Maybe we need a thread on "any wines in the cellar that are just too cheap to serve?"

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3504 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have trouble pulling the trigger on wines above $150. I only have a 100 or so at my house, but all are in play.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post