WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Anyone else do this (involving CT)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else do this (involving CT)?
 Login/Join 
posted
I was on the phone with my dad this afternoon discussing his arrangements to come to Seattle tomorrow to watch the UW Huskies surprise the OSU Beavers (right?), and we started talking about what wine(s) I should open. I recently got him up and going on CellarTracker and noticed he had multiples of many bottles that are close to getting too old. So, I threw this out there:

"Why don't you login to my cellartracker and tell ME what bottles we should open and, when I come visit you, I'll do the same!"

He was happy to oblidge (we agreed that reserving the right to "Veto" any choice was a good idea).

Has anyone else done this? I think it sounds like fun, and might make me open bottles I've been avoiding for many different reasons.

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BRR,

I suggest you make one edit to your proposal... remove the veto option.

I lost my dad last Thanksgiving. I have 100's of very special bottles I wish we would have shared together, regardless.

2 Cents

Posts: 30040 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent suggestion, w+a - I love it.

Also, very sorry for your loss. I'm sure you'll lift many a fine glass this Turkey Day in his honor!

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great idea..I will see if it works for my boss.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1038 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
BRR,

I suggest you make one edit to your proposal... remove the veto option.

I lost my dad last Thanksgiving. I have 100's of very special bottles I wish we would have shared together, regardless.

2 Cents

When I first read your post, BRR...the first thought I had was that it was a great idea if the veto option was removed. Then I read w+a's response and just shook my head. Smile I'd still give your father the right to veto any of his bottles. He is your father after all.... Cool

I just received a "birth year" bottle that I sourced after much searching. I would have been thrilled to open it with my dad, but alas I lost him the year before w+a's dad passed. You can't go back and open a bottle with your dad, but you can open whatever you like while you still have him. L'chaim!

PH

Posts: 15031 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did this very thing not a month ago. A friend (more knowledgeable about wine than I) was organizing a dinner and asked what we would be bringing. I suggested he look through my CT cellar and make some suggestions. He did, and we ended up drinking (along with some other fantastic bottles) a 1995 Moncuit BdB Champagne and 1982 Branaire Ducru. It's fun to cede the power of choice sometimes.

Posts: 2738 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea but why would he have to log in as you? He can set you as a cellar buddy and you can give him access to see the contents of your cellar.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Great idea but why would he have to log in as you? He can set you as a cellar buddy and you can give him access to see the contents of your cellar.

Perhaps his friend isn't on CT? I know some people with pretty extensive collections who are still tracking their cellars with scrap paper in shoeboxes.... Cool

Some of the local winos have put together "cellar-raid" offlines where this idea has been used. Might be time to put another one together. There are so many bottles that I pick up and then put down for whatever reason. It might be nice to have that option removed!

PH

Posts: 15031 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have access to Son-in-laws cellar. before a trip I print off a "drinking window list" and send him my choices. Most of time he obliges with my choices as our tastes are close to the same.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6282 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No but I've set the notebook on the table and let a guest select whatever he wants. Recently in fact.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
No but I've set the notebook on the table and let a guest select whatever he wants. Recently in fact.
That is true!

Posts: 6443 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:

I've been in this position (as a guest) several times. I'm always conservative in this situation. If there was a comet headed this way it might be different.....

PH

posted Hide Post
I have a good friend in the wine business with a nice cellar. We have an agreement that if either of us gets "the diagnosis," we'll open our very best stuff.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36772 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping both of you open your best because, while in good health, you decide to say "f**k it, I wanna drink that now"!

Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, bill. We drink our good stuff, but here are a few wines, like my DRCs and 1959 First Growths, that are irreplaceable at any cost I'd pay, so I save them for special occasions.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36772 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great posts, all. That's true about the Cellar Buddy option on CT - I hadn't thought of that. I'm headed to his place in two weeks... Cool

Cheers!