WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Favorite Winery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Winery
 Login/Join 
posted
Apologize in advance if this has been discussed, went back several pages and didn't see anything but....
what is your absolute favorite winery to visit in Napa or Sonoma - and why?

Posts: 18 | Location: Alamo, CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa:
Karl Lawrence. Because I can taste through dozens of barrels, have amazing conversations with great people, and drink fantastic wines and samples.

Sonoma:
Kost Browne. Same reason as above.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7494 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lewelling. When you've been, you'll understand.
Runners up: School House, Trespass.

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa- a long list

Sonoma- Martinelli for their wide variety of top notch wines- the Chardonnays, Syrahs, Pinot Noirs, and Zinfandels are amongst the very finest this country produces.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my somewhat limited experience...

Napa- Larkmead- Ilove the wines and atmosphere- very laid back.

Sonoma- I'd probably go with Martinelli as well

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: Oct 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa - Miner Family. I enjoy just about every varietal they make and even though it can be crowded at times, they still take the time to make sure you're enjoying yourself and they still pour good sized tastes.

Posts: 3105 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa: Artesa - architecture, art, views, and the pinot.

Sonoma: Stryker - beautiful building and setting. Outstanding wines.

Posts: 687 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa-Darioush/Pride/Phelps Great wine, great people.

Sonoma- Martinelli. Kittens in the tasting room. What could be better than wine and kittens?

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With decidedly less experience than some of the others, I'd say:

Nickel & Nickel: For the monomanical obsessiveness.
Spottswoode: For the family atmosphere.
Shafer: For the wine!!

Neil

Posts: 665 | Location: Forest Hills, NY | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board -O ...I agree about the quality of Martinelli's wines, but I have been there twice and each time was offered only a very limited selection to taste. Has your experience been different there?

But I digress.. My favorite Napa experience was at Shafer; Sonoma at A. Rafanelli.

Posts: 408 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa - it is a toss up between Chateau Montelena and Blackbird

Sonoma - Hanzell

Oregon - Domaine Drouhin

Washington - Quilceda Creek

Obama & Democrat Policy - if all else fails, always blame George W. Bush.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa - Karl Lawrence, Neal, Dominus, Shafer

Why? Consistency, good in difficult vintages and great in great vintages

Now....where's that Screwpull?

Posts: 1456 | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many to choose from in Napa. For me its do I turn right or left?

Posts: 45 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three wineries I will visit every trip I make to Napa.

Etude: I can not think of another winery that does both Cabernet and Pinot as well.

School House: Nothing like tasting outstanding Pinot on Spring Mountain of all places in the Kitchen of really wonderfull down to earth people. Feels like you are visiting family you have not seen in years.

Trespass: Don is a great guy that is generous to a fault with barrel samples. More like meeting a buddy for a drink than vising a tasting room. Meet him at the vineyard on you way up Spring Mountain or in the Venge Caves on your way up Howell Mountain.

Posts: 87 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jun 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KL
Neal
Pride

"....to life, liberty and the pursuit of happy hour!"

Posts: 181 | Location: Overland Park, KS | Registered: Feb 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa - Caldwell. John is a great guy and the wines are terrific.

Sonoma - Believe it or not, the visits at Hop Kiln have been the most enjoyable. The wine has sometimes been just ok, but the staff has always been memorable.

Oregon - J.K. Carriere. Probably shouldn't let that out of the bag, but...

Posts: 39 | Registered: Nov 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second or third Trespass and Pride for different reasons. Don for his down-to-earth, friendly nature and Pride for the wonderful view. Equally important, both labels represent above average QPRs, IMO.

Posts: 854 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa- Barnett on spring mountain and Vincent Arroyo
Sonoma- Merry Edwards, Gary Farrell, and Arista

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa - Shafer, Pride, and Joseph Phelps
Sonoma - Joseph Swan and Merry Edwards

Posts: 672 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trespass- caves and vineyard are a great tasting and the people and wine are very good.

Trespass: Don is a great guy that is generous to a fault with barrel samples. More like meeting a buddy for a drink than vising a tasting room. Meet him at the vineyard on you way up Spring Mountain or in the Venge Caves on your way up Howell Mountain.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Sep 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i probably pimp them too much already, but, i really do think that my favorite now is Babcock, and has been for a while... the last few vintages, i just havent had a bad wine from them, even the Cabernet and Cab Blends (which ive notoriously slammed from Central Coast wineries, but chalk it up to better sources and improved farming in the Santa Ynez Valley and ridiculous pricing from Napa & Sonoma)... everything i think is priced fairly for the quality, and i love visiting the tasting room off hwy 246.

Posts: 4201 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a Babcock wine dinner here somewhere around a year and a half ago. All the wines were well-made and, though in their infancy, showed great prmise.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lewelling. Wights are great people making great wine.

2nd: David Arthur, Seven Stones for the views. Plus Roy Piper at Seven Stones took us for a drive to find Screaming Eagle, Bacchus vineyard, etc...don't try it at home kids cause it resulted in flat tires haha...

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa: Though I have not been in a very long time, the Diamond Creek release party is absolutely wonderful. I also enjoy Outpost when TRB is around (so you can barrel taste Maybach, Schrader, etc...). The view is amazing.

Sonoma: Medlock Ames. They have a zeal about what they do and their dinners in the vineyard are not to be missed. Also good is Peter Michael. While it is a little white shoe, it is a wonderful tour and tasting.

www.winemusings.com

Posts: 209 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
Lewelling. When you've been, you'll understand.
Runners up: School House, Trespass.

Ditto. There is no finer gentleman than Dave Wight.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post