WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013 - What are you buying?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2013 - What are you buying?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Kistler Chardonnay and Pinot noir allocation
KB allocation
Marcassin Chardonnay allocation

i never understood the kistler allocations

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
KB allocation

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.

g-man,
I have not had that experience. None of the bottles from the offering is something that I can get in the LWS. Maybe it's a Texas thing. The only Kistler I have seen for sale is the crappy Sonoma Coast bottling- the old Les Noisetier bottling. I have never seen any single vineyard bottling for sale - granted, I am not in the business so I am not privy to products that some (Nolan) may have access to. With that said, it is true that if you do not buy a case, you are limited in your "choice" and you have to buy a mixed 6 pack which is not necessarily the highest rated stuff. So yes you are held hostage if you do not buy 12 bottles. Fortunately I have a number of colleagues and friends who like to split my allocation and I get to cherry pick whatever and however much I want and split the rest of the allocation amongst them. Win-win. With that said, do you enjoy their wines?

Posts: 1630 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Clos Saint Jean Cdp.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emile Henry Pizza Stone.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2764 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Emile Henry Pizza Stone.

We love ours. Is it the round or square?

With care, it should last a life time, unlike the 3 I purchased from Costco which lasted less than 1 month apiece.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5758 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 x 1995 Dom Perignon. Provenance might be dubious, but the price was very fair.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Emile Henry Pizza Stone.

We love ours. Is it the round or square?

With care, it should last a life time, unlike the 3 I purchased from Costco which lasted less than 1 month apiece.

Good to hear Dok! Rectangle shape, pretty big too. Have you used it on top of the outside grill? I was thinking of using it for fish as well....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
2 x 2009 Stewart Napa Valley Cabernet

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you used it on top of the outside grill

I ONLY use mine on the BBQ for pizza. It would be great for fish as well. Enjoy!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I ONLY use mine on the BBQ for pizza. It would be great for fish as well. Enjoy!

I've never used mine for fish, but I sure would hesitate to do so. Pizza stones are pretty porous and would likely absorb some lovely fish aroma. I don't want my pizza smelling fishy. Again, I've never tried it, so I'm not sure what the results would be. But why risk it? When I grill fish, I grill directly on the cooking grates, or in a few instances, I've used a fish basket. 2 Cents

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 x 1995 Dom Perignon. Provenance might be dubious, but the price was very fair.

The guy with a eastern european name bought in the parking lot at night? Wink

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guy with a eastern european name bought in the parking lot at night?

Were you there as well? Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
KB allocation

g-man,
I have not had that experience. None of the bottles from the offering is something that I can get in the LWS. Maybe it's a Texas thing. The only Kistler I have seen for sale is the crappy Sonoma Coast bottling- the old Les Noisetier bottling. I have never seen any single vineyard bottling for sale - granted, I am not in the business so I am not privy to products that some (Nolan) may have access to. With that said, it is true that if you do not buy a case, you are limited in your "choice" and you have to buy a mixed 6 pack which is not necessarily the highest rated stuff. So yes you are held hostage if you do not buy 12 bottles. Fortunately I have a number of colleagues and friends who like to split my allocation and I get to cherry pick whatever and however much I want and split the rest of the allocation amongst them. Win-win. With that said, do you enjoy their wines?
My reps know not to even offer me Kistler Wink

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2953 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The guy with a eastern european name bought in the parking lot at night?

Were you there as well? Razz

Driving the getaway car. Woot

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
quote:

I've never used mine for fish, but I sure would hesitate to do so. Pizza stones are pretty porous and would likely absorb some lovely fish aroma. I don't want my pizza smelling fishy. Again, I've never tried it, so I'm not sure what the results would be. But why risk it? When I grill fish, I grill directly on the cooking grates, or in a few instances, I've used a fish basket. 2 Cents

Yeah I was worried about that however within the info that cam with the stone there are recipes for fish....so I was just curious. Maybe they use one for fish ONLY and one for pizza ONLY...who knows.

Will post in the dining section a few other questions.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
2010 Vine Hill Ranch Cab

Posts: 878 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 Aston Estate Pinot x 6

Posts: 21 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 x 2011 Peay Vineyards Viognier Estate.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a mixed case of Coturri wines from Sonoma for $3 per bottle. Never had a wine from them before but very controversial from what I've read because of their natural winemaking, lack of SO2 use and barrel by barrel bottling:
2008 Coturri Winery Albarello
2008 Coturri Winery Carignane Testa Vineyards
2007 Coturri Winery Charbono Testa Vineyards
2004 Coturri Winery Merlot Feingold
2006 Coturri Winery Zinfandel Freiberg

3 cases of Italians:
12 x 2007 Sansovino Friularo Ambasciatore @ $3
24 x 2005 Castello Sonnino Lo Schiavone Toscana IGT @ $3

Also one Champagne:
1 x N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve @ $37

VM

Posts: 12304 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM - I don't know how you do it but those prices are unbelievable.

For me - 6/ea. '08 Parmalee Hill Block B Syrah @ $19.

Got the 'Last Bottle' email and couldn't pass it up.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Myriad syrah allocation

Posts: 80 | Location: Detroit, mi | Registered: Sep 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino's daddy:
Myriad syrah allocation

+1

Posts: 1117 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malbec from Cuda Ridge.

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 baumard savennieres clos du papillon

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like a BigP deal Big Grin

Posts: 2279 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post