WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Controversial Wines
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Controversial Wines
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Coppola wines. I keep thinking they should be better than they are.

At a friend's wedding in 2004, they served a Coppola Merlot. I drank waaaaaaaaaay too much of it; so much so that I was unable to pry myself off of the hotel mattress the next morning to attend a nice (so I was told) breakfast arranged for the wedding party.

Since that day, the sight of any Coppola wine evokes a sudden headache.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Anything from S. Africa.
Some people think they make exciting and interesting wines.
Some others think that they make mostly plonk.

(I'm in the second category)

Any recent ones come to mind?

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm disappointed GregT has not replied.

Pourquoi mon ami?

Been tempted to but decided to shut up for once.

Although now that I'm here -

At one point I would have been in complete agreement regarding the South African wines. Then a little while ago I tasted some and was completely surprised. Not only were they drinkable, they were actually pretty good. So I got to talking to some winemakers and even had dinner with a couple of them a few times and their contention is that while they were boycotted by the rest of the world because of apartheid, they were unable to bring in better clones and technology and it was hard to taste the best from elsewhere.

I don't know if that's true or not, but they say they've been working their butts off to taste worldwide and to improve their stock and their techniques. They actually have some pretty nice Syrah these days.

And lo and behold, I actually tasted a Pinotage that was actually quite drinkable. Usually it's something I run from. Matter of fact, until then, the only Pinotage I'd ever had that didn't make me think I would go blind was from Napa.

So I'm kind of on the fence with SA right now. I'm not drinking Pinotage, that's for damned sure, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Some of the other things mentioned, like Sauv Blanc from anywhere except maybe a few from Sancerre, are just so obvious I don't see the controversy.

But here's one:

Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva, much beloved of James Suckling. I had a bottle the other night.

Are you kidding me?

94 points by James Suckling and Natalie Maclean. Oh wait. That's his review she used.

The 89 from Galloni for that same wine is quite generous IMO.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2611 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva, much beloved of James Suckling. I had a bottle the other night.

Are you kidding me?

94 points by James Suckling

I bought three bottles of that based on Suckling's review. I knew there was a reason I ignore his reviews and this wine reminded me of it. Opened the second to see if the first was an off-bottle. Gave the third one away. 94 my tuchas!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadie Family Syrah from South Africa is excellent. thank you Steve8. Many good syrahs from SA

Posts: 5941 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Sadie Family Syrah from South Africa is excellent. thank you Steve8. Many good syrahs from SA

+1 Sadie family both the red Coumella and white Pallidus are outstanding.

Like any region (including bordeaux, napa, etc.) there is more mediocre then good and more good than truely great. SA does have some great wine.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I bought three bottles of that based on Suckling's review. I knew there was a reason I ignore his reviews and this wine reminded me of it. Opened the second to see if the first was an off-bottle. Gave the third one away. 94 my tuchas!

Board-O, did you like Suckling when he was with WS? I could have sworn you were one of the guys who held him in high esteem.

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a higher proportion of OR Pinots that are good than CA, but CA beats OR on great ones hands down.

Why? The soil is rich, so the vines aren't stressed. The nights are warm, so the acids are low. They've pretty much met their potential.

The best CA sites are cooler, with broad diurnal swings, more optimal soils with better drainage and slopes. Some of the best sites are just being discovered and more winemakers are striving for greatness instead of an over-ripe, over-oaked easy-A from certain over-influential wine critics.

Posts: 1774 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

+1 Sadie family both the red Coumella and white Pallidus are outstanding.

Like any region (including bordeaux, napa, etc.) there is more mediocre then good and more good than truely great. SA does have some great wine.

+2 on both Sadie Family wines.

Kind of shocking to see people dismissing an entire country's wines.

In addition to Sadie, I would also suggest Hamilton Russell's Chardonnay. Excellent stuff.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

In addition to Sadie, I would also suggest Hamilton Russell's Chardonnay. Excellent stuff.

+1 on this all the way.
I often get a kick out of some of the dogmatism I see on these boards apropos the world of wine. People are so quick to state categorical truths sometimes, you feel more like you're at a bible reading rather than a wine forum.

Yes, most Pinotage is plonk, but it's not made to be a Wow Wine. Still, South Africa does a fine job with several different varietals. I blind tasted the Hamilton Russell Chard a few months ago, and I was blown away...tasted more French than anything else. I immediately ordered a case for the cellar. I also think De Toren does a fine job with both the Z and the Fusion Bordeaux blends. Very well balanced wines at reasonable prices.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
I also think De Toren does a fine job with both the Z and the Fusion Bordeaux blends. Very well balanced wines at reasonable prices.

Forgot about the De Toren Fusion. Last year we did a Bordeaux blend blind tasting and it won. There were several bottles on the table which cost a lot more money than it. I'm hopefully waiting for our local wine monopoly to release the 2009 as it was an excellent vintage for SA reds.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I opened a second too. Then I just got irritated with myself and wondered why I doubted myself in the first place.

It's going to be sangria or a deck party wine.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2611 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three pages in, no Mollydooker? You people are letting me down. Banana

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8879 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone here tried Chocolat Rouge? Probably terrible but I am still inclined to give it a shot as a desert drink.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:

:cough: page 1 :cough:

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2397 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sea Smoke and KB (some might include all CA pinots). Turley zins. SQN. Silver Oak. Almost any Aussie Shiraz. 03 red Bordeaux.
These all seem to be love them or hate them wines.

My personal controversy: 2010 Oregon PN, plonk or classic (still somewhere in the middle).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:

:cough: page 1 :cough:

Doh! Smile

How about Petite Sirah? I love them, but some folks like tlily have zero use for this stuff. Divisive wines.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8879 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's true that they can do a fine job in SA with some varieties - at one point they were even renowned for their sweet wine. Most assuredly a wine needn't be a wow wine to be drinkable. In many cases what you're seeing in the posts is the reaction to the wines that have been made widely available outside of South Africa rather than the reaction to a few wines that aren't yet known. But many of the producers there will acknowledge that for years, their wines weren't top-shelf stuff.

I feel the same way when it comes to Chile - I'm certain that they can make good reds, but those that show up in the US tend not to be all that great. And having tasted them fairly widely over the years, I'm including both the cheap stuff and their highest end stuff. That's not to say they do absolutely nothing well ever, it's just that most of the time I'd rather drink their whites. I'd rather get my reds from elsewhere. Ditto Germany.

Besides, dogmatism is fun!

quote:
Yes, most Pinotage is plonk, but it's not made to be a Wow Wine. Still, South Africa does a fine job with several different varietals. I blind tasted the Hamilton Russell Chard a few months ago, and I was blown away...tasted more French than anything else. I immediately ordered a case for the cellar.

But then why not buy French wine? This seems like you're damning SA with faint praise indeed! The wine is so good it doesn't taste South African.

Yikes!

posted Hide Post
For me, controversy for SQN, Mollydooker, and Orin Swift because I cannot fathom the high regard in which they are held.

I'd love to sneak a Two Buck Chuck cab and merlot into a Mollydooker or Orin Swift tasting party and see if people noticed anything.

No offense to any fans, just not my cup of jam.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1287 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about just a Red Blend in General? I personally love a good red blend. The controversy... So many people want 100% the varietal, and have this pre-conceived notion that it's not worth drinking if not.. Well as most of us know. For years wines have been blended! And they are hot sellers right now. Also, I love a good Petite Sirah.

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has no one said Silver Oak?

Is there a wine more loved by the masses and more hated by wine geeks and professionals? I saw three "Life is a Cabernet" license plates yesterday alone.

Rombauer Chardonnay would be second.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
Has no one said Silver Oak?

Is there a wine more loved by the masses and more hated by wine geeks and professionals? I saw three "Life is a Cabernet" license plates yesterday alone.

Rombauer Chardonnay would be second.
'

dunno i like silver oak

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12022 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's fine as long as I'm not even close to the one buying it.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cracks me up to see others list Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva because I definetly agree.

I purchsed a few bottles of the '01 when it first came out based on the review and I hated it. I love Chianti Classico and especially Riserva's but this didn't do it for me and I've stayed away since.

Posts: 529 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we need a thread entitled

"What wines are not controversial?"

or perhaps

"What wines are universally loved?"

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post