WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Controversial Wines
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Controversial Wines
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Anything from Loring. They make Mollydooker look tame by comparison. I guess this style is for somebody...whoever that somebody is.

I can understand the jab at Seasmoke. However, I've had a lot of luck with their "Ten." I can't think of a better SB Pinot.

And if by "Controversial," you mean "Crappy," I would say 99.5% of the plonk coming out of my neck of the woods (Temecula) ranks pretty high on the list.

Posts: 1281 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Coppola wines. I keep thinking they should be better than they are.

+1

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1030 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screaming Eagle

Posts: 39 | Registered: Feb 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never tried one, but there are quite the variety of opinions on the wines from Frank Cornelissen

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

There's no controversy there... we all know they're not good Ack

Posts: 966 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Castelgiocondo- can go from wonderful to meh

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5419 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Schild
the wines of Brunellogate

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1863 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
quote:

Well, at least you and I know it. I prefer my grapefruit juice from Florida.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long Island Merlot

Posts: 1578 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VanCityWino:
Never tried one, but there are quite the variety of opinions on the wines from Frank Cornelissen

One problem with Cornelissen wines is the enormous variability and need for constant cool storage. I've had some that were quite good, and some that tasted more like compost tea than wine.

At least Gravner and Radikon are reasonably consistent, though not to many's taste.

Anything ultra ripe and fruit forward is bound to be controversial these days, even as they continue to sell like crazy.

Posts: 2226 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Long Island Merlot

Not much controversy there unless you work for one of the wineries pumping out that "stuff."

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything from S. Africa.
Some people think they make exciting and interesting wines.
Some others think that they make mostly plonk.

(I'm in the second category)

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 6930 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
What do you think of Josko Gravner wines?

I drank a bottle of the 2004 Gravner Ribolla Anfora 9 months ago and man that was a weird one. I really couldn't figure out what I was tasting and even though the finish was incredibly long, I still didn't care for it. Must be an acquired taste.

Posts: 133 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
Anything from Loring. They make Mollydooker look tame by comparison. I guess this style is for somebody...whoever that somebody is.

I can understand the jab at Seasmoke. However, I've had a lot of luck with their "Ten." I can't think of a better SB Pinot.
I have only tried a few Lorings and they are not made in a style that I enjoy, but both Mollydooker and Seasmoke seemed waaaayyy more over the top the few times I’ve tried them.

Posts: 6210 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
quote:

Well, at least you and I know it. I prefer my grapefruit juice from Florida.

and certainly not after a cat pissed in it.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10932 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silver Oak

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1450 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:

I have only tried a few Lorings and they are not made in a style that I enjoy, but both Mollydooker and Seasmoke seemed waaaayyy more over the top the few times I’ve tried them.

I've purchased some Loring in the past (might still have a bottle) and I didn't enjoy them as early drinkers. But, I've found them fairly enjoyable with 5-7 years on them. I've only had one Seasmoke (can't remember bottling, but not the Ten) and found it way over the top and unenjoyable.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2563 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Silver Oak

I was going to say this as many on the boards pan it. The two couples in my small wine group love it, and I respect their palates (though don't always agree with them). I can only remember tasting one Silver Oak, though might have had it one other time. It was very young and very oaky. My wine group also doesn't like Brunello, but I do.

One wine I've never been blown away by is Barolo. Now I've never had a top notch one or one well aged, and I've enjoyed the ones I've had but never a Wow moment. I've actually had much better luck with Barbaresco and have had some that were very, very good.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2563 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Anything from S. Africa.
Some people think they make exciting and interesting wines.
Some others think that they make mostly plonk.

(I'm in the second category)

Me too.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Castelgiocondo- can go from wonderful to meh

+1

Posts: 15102 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The first two I thought of were, Josko Gravner wines....

I still recall the Gravner opened in DC some years back. Was that brought by Lentini or Festiva? I think Festiva. But the wine, I can almost taste it still. Adobe clay tiles. So very unique. I loved it.

Posts: 15102 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SQN. People either love it, or hate it.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
quote:

I've purchased some Loring in the past (might still have a bottle) and I didn't enjoy them as early drinkers. But, I've found them fairly enjoyable with 5-7 years on them. I've only had one Seasmoke (can't remember bottling, but not the Ten) and found it way over the top and unenjoyable.

Well, I guess the different views on each of these producers establish exactly what the OP mentioned: Controversy.

I'm actually a fan of some of the bigger domestic Chards out there, like Kistler, Aubert, etc. But tasting Loring's "Durell Vineyard" was like melting butter on a 2x4, then sticking it in a blender.

Posts: 1281 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
quote:

Well, I guess the different views on each of these producers establish exactly what the OP mentioned: Controversy.

I'm actually a fan of some of the bigger domestic Chards out there, like Kistler, Aubert, etc. But tasting Loring's "Durell Vineyard" was like melting butter on a 2x4, then sticking it in a blender.

I've never had Loring Chards. I was speaking of his Pinots. I will say I don't seek his Pinots out nor much in the way of Calif. Pinot, preferring to explore Burgundy with those dollars as well as buy Oregon PN. I do have a few Pali Pinot left from I believe the first vintage that I'm trying to drink through. I believe those were made by Loring. They've all been pretty good, but not great QPRs.

Andre Tchelistcheff

posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed GregT has not replied.

Posts: 29479 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post