Time for my yearly thread to thank those forum members who shared bottles with me this year. This is probably my favorite post that I put up every year. It is a time to remember all the great wines and times I had with other forum members. Here is the 2012 winner and the past winners since I have been keeping stats:
2011- Blue Oval
2007- Blue Oval
2005- Pinot Envy
2004- Pinot Envy
2003- Pinot Envy
2002- Dr. T
The top wine for 2012 was opened by Otis who makes his 1st appearance as #1 on my list. Considering all the wines he has opened for me (literally hundreds), I find it a bit shocking that this was his 1st time on top of the list. Allred took 4 spots in the top 10 which is not unusual considering how generous he is about opening outstanding wine. Xhoser (from California) and TylerHi (from Hawaii) make their first appearances on my top 10 list. Here is my complete top 10 list for 2011:
1. Otis- 2001 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli (VM97)
2. Allred- 2000 Chateau Dereszla Tokaji Eszencia (VM97)
3. Grossie- 1997 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino Riserva (VM96)
4. Allred- N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Brut Initiale (VM96)
5. Xhoser- 2005 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan (VM95-96)
6. Allred- 2002 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Special Club (VM95)
7. Allred- 2008 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon (VM94-95)
8. TylerHi- 2004 Sheridan Vineyard L'orage (VM94)
9. Haggis- 2000 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate (VM94)
10. Jcubed- 1999 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon (VM94)
A couple honorable mentions for 2 posters that just missed the top 10 cut:
Aphilla- 2009 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée (VM93-94)
TrekkerDan- 2006 Domaine Yves Cuilleron Condrieu Les Chaillets (VM93-94)
Thanks to everyone who shared bottles with my wife and I in 2012 (whether you made the list or not).
Prestigious company indeed!
While I'm not sure it was an ideal match for the Turkish food we had with it, the '01 Montosoli was showing very well that night. I'll make sure we try it again together sometime down the road.
As always, a wine tastes more special when it is shared with good friends like you.
Here's to a healthy and happy 2013!
2012 was a great wine year for me. Many of my favorite & best bottles came from the generosity of the San Diego offline crew. I have no ranking or scores, as Javachip has already taken care of that. I just have a huge thanks for the opportunity to taste these gems.
- 1976 Heitz Martha's Vineyard (SD Wineaux)
- 1970 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Vintage (SD Wineaux)
- 1991 Chateau Montelena Cab Sauv. Estate (SD Wineaux)
- 1990 Lynch Bages (Red Guy in a Blue State)
- 2009 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard (Red Guy in a Blue State)
- 1992 Rubicon (Javachip)
- 1992 Insignia (Javachip)
- 1996 Gaja Babaresco (Javachip)
- 2003 Justin Isoceles (Ipskeleton)
- 2000 Chateau Dereszla Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos (Racer117)...(This with the Krispy Kreme Brulee was easily the best pairing I had all year!)
* I'm limited to (10), but there are many more (like Whine-Oh's fantastic '98 Dominus). Thanks again, and cheers to many more in 2013!
I did think that the Turkish food was one of the more difficult wine pairing matches we've had.
Had to think about this for a second or two
2002 Domain des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Close de Sainte Catherine - Vintage61, w+a, WIML
2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul - JAR, mjobtx, WIML
2004 Torbreck Run Rig - JAR, mjobtx, WIML
1994 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello di Montalcino - NolanE, steve8, JAR
2005 Domaine Weinbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence - JAR, mjobtx, WIML
2005 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc - NolanE, JAR, steve8
2001 Trimbach Pinot Gris Réserve Personnelle - NolanE, w+a, xhoser, winedoc
2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - JAR
1985 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - JAR, WIML
1990 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia - JAR, WIML, mjobtx
I'm proud to make the top 10 again, VM.
Happy new year all!
Go Habs Go
Thanks for opening the Uccelliera. You are moving up the list. 8th in 2011 and 3rd last year. Hope we can get together this year to give you a crack at the top spot.
|Powered by Social Strata|