WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Aerating wines with blender . . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aerating wines with blender . . . .
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone doin' this? If so, do you feel it equates with good old fashioned shelf aging?

tgb

Posts: 235 | Location: SFO Bay area | Registered: Aug 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. And No.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure someone out there is doing it.
It's a bit like tenderizing a steak by backing your truck over it.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a bit like tenderizing a steak by backing your truck over it.

Heeeyyyy! Maybe not a bad idea! Might be the next trend.

Just have to figure out how to get the gravel out. Razz

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3181 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never put an old delicate wine in there, but a good 60 seconds on frappe for a young wine seems to equal an hour to a few hours in a decanter.

That said, air (decanter, blender, Vinturi), is never a substitution for aging.

I've done it a number of times, only with younger tannic reds that need air badly (yes, I know, aging them properly is best). Blending doesn't screw them up in any way shape or form.

Buy two identical wines like a young CdRhone, pop one in a decanter for the afternoon, frappe the other one for a minute. Don't speculate, see for yourself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indybob,

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8893 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
No. And No.

+1, but it is still the best way to get a frog through a straw. Wink

Posts: 30284 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
No. And No.

+2. I don't know why, that frog/straw thing just sounds so........Texan!! Razz No wine will see either a blender or a microwave on my watch!

PH

Posts: 15314 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:
No. And No.

+2. I don't know why, that frog/straw thing just sounds so........Texan!! Razz No wine will see either a blender or a microwave on my watch!

PH

We don't own a microwave, so I'm safe there also.

Posts: 30284 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:
No. And No.

PH

We don't own a microwave, so I'm safe there also.

How do you heat up your Hot Pockets? Confused

Posts: 4606 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are hot, why would one need to heat one? Confused

PH

Posts: 15314 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to throw it in the blender you MUST toss in a bit of crushed garlic, and perhaps some fresh herbs.....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word: Bass-o-matic.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it.

No go - turned the wine into Welch's....so Parker would rate it a 100.

Devilish

Really, a non-starter, for me. I bet you could blend a Two Buck Chuck and compare it to a Dunn and they'd give the same impressions after being Osterized.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
Tried it.

No go - turned the wine into Welch's....so

Really? Which wine?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8893 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a blurb about this technique in a recent WS issue. Someone tested it and found it did “help” young wines. I could see how it would work, but I don't like to drab so I don’t have use for it.

Posts: 6559 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post