WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine nerd/OCD question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine nerd/OCD question
 Login/Join 
posted
When you guys decant a wine either for air or sediment and then pour the wine back into the bottle for ease of service or to take to the restaurant, what do you use to rinse out the rest of the sediment in the bottle? I've been using Brita filtered tap water. I have not yet used bottled water for this purpose. Just wondering how elaborate others get. Also, do you dry the bottle out? I often wish I had a pressurized air supply hooked up to a small hose like I used to have on the lab bench in my student days.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1351 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually just give it a real quick rinse of tap water (no odor in our water I can detect), shake as much of the water out of the bottle as I can and return to bottle. No biggie.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13289 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only the best ... Fiji Water. No ordinary tap water will be touching my bottles of Lafitte. Smile

Posts: 4959 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My tap water has a noticeable off taste, so I use Brita filtered water. Shake it out as best as possible and refill.

PH

Posts: 14643 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't do it often, usually bringing the wine in a decanter. When I do rebottle after rinsing, I use tap water if there is no odor, otherwise, bottled water.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36404 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i always havea bottle of cheap port opened for this purpose

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10971 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tap water and return to bottle. Never noticed a problem.

Posts: 3430 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few times I've done this it's been tap water shaken up in the bottle, than shake out as much as i can. The water is pretty good where I'm at.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filtered water (chlorine is noticeable in tap water), then upside down on a paper towel for a few minutes to drip.

Posts: 1591 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tap water. Then upside down for a minute to drip. That's to get the rest of the water out, because if you have any off odors, you're obviously going to trap them in the bottle, but our water doesn't have any.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2477 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, do no one really keep any spare wine around for prepping decanters?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10971 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't do it often, usually bringing the wine in a decanter.

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1254 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used distilled water.

Like others, after I rinse it I rest it upside down for a few minutes to get it mostly dry

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

I'd wager that most locales would not permit someone to show up with a decanter full of wine. I know for a fact that it isn't permitted where I am.

PH

Posts: 14643 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

I'd wager that most locales would not permit someone to show up with a decanter full of wine. I know for a fact that it isn't permitted where I am.

PH

Agreed.

I really just meant decanting and not rebottling.

We've taken decanters ahead of time for group dinners with multiple wines, but the wine was opened and poured at the restaurant.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1254 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have extraordinarily good tap water here. No problems whatsoever.

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6607 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

PH

Not a problem in NY or FL. There are open container laws, but unless a cop suspects you were drinking, they wouldn't bother with people holding a decanter. They're looking for people drinking in the car.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36404 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

PH

Not a problem in NY or FL. There are open container laws, but unless a cop suspects you were drinking, they wouldn't bother with people holding a decanter. They're looking for people drinking in the car.

a fellow forumite informed me that if you stuck some scotch tape over the top, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLL good.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I feel you have a concern for contaminates here. You can always prime the rinsed bottle with a splash of the wine.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1407 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have special 375 and 750 ml bottles with combo cork/cap enclosures (thank you kedco) which I use whenever I am putting a decanted wine back in bottle (usually for transport or for blind tasting purposes). i clean those bottles with the super hot water then air dry on drying stand for a few hours.

Posts: 763 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Only the best ... Fiji Water. No ordinary tap water will be touching my bottles of Lafitte. Smile

haha - you gave yourself away. Only one 't' in Lafite. Smile

My wife swears by Fiji water but its so damn expensive in Toronto. It's half price in Michigan so we stock up when we drive over

Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of bringing a decanter somewhere, but it's only feasible if you drive. In fact, in cool weather like today, you can cover the top with something and put it in a box in the trunk and maybe thereby avoid violating the open container laws.

However, taking a decanter onto the subway during rush hour to make a dinner date - that's not practical. Although given the stuff people do take on, maybe it's not so far-fetched.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2477 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post