WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    So I phoned this wine shop....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I phoned this wine shop....
 Login/Join 
posted
So I phoned this wine shop today and had a very interesting conversation.

Me: Hi I am looking for a bottle of Cheval Blanc listed on your website, I just want to call and make sure it is in stock.

Guy on the phone: Sir, you are mistaken! Premier Cru Cheval Blanc is a region, there are at least 40-50 wines from this region. It is not the brand name of the wine. You have to give me a name of the wine for me to look for it.

Me: ............... (5 seconds of dead air) ........... um... actually I am pretty sure it's the name of the wine. Would you please check it?

Guy: No, it's not. You are wrong.

Me: Ok nevermind.

Then I try to inquire about a Haut Brion that I was interested instead since I figure it will take too much effort to explain Bordeaux ABC to him, plus his tone was kind of rude, making me sound like a fool, so I gave up on the Cheval.

Me: I would like to ask about the 1996 Haut Brion instead. It is spelt H-A-U-T B-R-I-O-N. from bordeaux.

(This time I politely spell it out just to make sure it wasn't a misunderstanding due to Lousy phone reception)

The guy: Again, Haut Brion is a region. I am not sure what you mean! There are over 50 wines from this region. I can't find it unless you give me the brand of the wine.

Me: err.... are you a sales person ?

The guy: I the sommelier of this store.

Me: OOOkay .....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1425 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome ... you have to reveal the name of the store. If it's in the tri-state area, I may have to take a drive to see for myself. Is the shop in Brooklyn? Wink

Posts: 5079 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should ask too about Margaux Big Grin

Posts: 1030 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, either your fine tuning your stand up routine or your still shaking your head! I'm in your area, was this shop local?

Posts: 17 | Location: North Shore | Registered: Jan 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at least he didn't say that haut brion doesn't work weekdays.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11671 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gundam,

I thought my experience was shocking, but nothing compared to yours. I would have asked him to name some of the 50 wines!

Maybe it was opposites day at that store. If you'd asked for Pessac-Leognan, he would have known exactly what you were looking for.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1360 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
at least he didn't say that haut brion doesn't work weekdays.

Or that "Lafite is a country in it's own right."

Posts: 17 | Location: North Shore | Registered: Jan 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, then maybe if I've asked for Hot Brian he would have understood completely. Btw, the place is call Avon liquor, in Colorado. In retrospect I should have pressed on to lure some funnier responses out of this guy, but at first I was just so stunned, and by the end too busy holding my laughter.

DeMarco, it's great to meet a local on the boards. We should get together a BC offline later, now that we can BYOB.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the shop in Brooklyn?

Meaning???????????

Great story tho. I once went into a store on the corner of my street (OK, in Brooklyn) and I saw some wine and a sign with a price. I picked up the wine, nothing special but OK, and inquired as to whether it was really $15. Normally it would be like $20, so it was an OK deal for dinner. Taking a moment off from cursing out the stockboy over some incident earlier in the day, the owner looked at me and gave me an indulgent smile.

"Oh no. That's a Hot Medoc. That's a lot more than $15."

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2571 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm... maybe the guy from the shop is right? Maybe there's a Region called "Cheval Blanc" in China, so that they could label all their wines with that name Wink

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1853 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:

DeMarco, it's great to meet a local on the boards. We should get together a BC offline later, now that we can BYOB.

Gundam, great idea! I'd be very interested in participating. Let me know if/how I could help in the planning.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeMarco:
quote:

Gundam, great idea! I'd be very interested in participating. Let me know if/how I could help in the planning.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geppetto:
quote:
Originally posted by DeMarco:
quote:

Hey, I live in Port Moody and I would love to join in if you are willing to put up with a novice. I've only been doing the wine thing for about five years, so the cellar is a little young, but I might be able to find something worthy to bring along. Of course I am a little worried if we are talking the likes of Cheval Blanc and Haut Brion. Those regions are a little rich for my meager earnings.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Let's go to a thread in the offline section.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
You should ask too about Margaux Big Grin

Margaux who? Margaux Hemingway? Margaux Rey? Margaux Kidder? You have to be more specific.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6742 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the store somm was named Dante or Randall.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised you didn't get a recording:

Push 1 for Bordeaux
Push 2 for Burgundy
etc.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was this Borat's Wine Emporium? Did you ask if they had any Kazakh wines in stock?

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
... bottle of Cheval Blanc listed on your website, I just want to call and make sure it is in stock.
... inquire about a Haut Brion that I was interested instead ...
OOOkay .....

In Avon this weekend, thought I should drop by Avon Liquors on Saturday.

What I saw - at least one bottle of each on display:
'04 Cheval Blanc $679.99
'04 Haut-Brion $789.99

They had some Charles Smith wines that were a bit over retail, but currently sold out from the source. Picked up two bottles.

Sitting around with nothing to do is great until you have to do it. - Dave's daughter

Posts: 429 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post