WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Christmas Gifts Given/Received
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Gifts Given/Received
 Login/Join 
posted
So the day has come and gone. What did everyone give/get that was 'special'?

My kids gave me a few hand made picture frames and pictures of them to place in them....

I also received an Orbita Sienna watch winder Cool

I gave my kids a trip to Disney this upcoming March, there 1st time, I am not too sure if thats a gift for them or me Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2764 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave my kids a trip to Disney this upcoming March, there 1st time, I am not too sure if thats a gift for them or me Smile

I'll say both Smile Did the same last september (was their first time, as well for me) and all the familly enjoyed it...

dzitt

Posts: 893 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did the Disney thing with our girls too. Once on CA and once in FL. It was a hoot, but a bit of a grind as well. There are some good guides online that give you really good suggestions on navigating the parks with little ones to get to the good stuff efficiently and minimize waits etc. Recommend you look them up before you go.

I got a bunch of hugs and kisses from 2 of my 3 grandkids (will see #3 this Sunday). Best presents ever! Also got a renewal to a coffee of the month thing from my daughter. Was one of my favorite gifts last year and looking forward to the first package. Home-made cookies and a big container of my daughter's home-made BBQ rub. Ribs on the menu soon. Cool

PH

Posts: 15219 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rabbit decanter with aerator and screen and some homemade cork trivets.

There was discussion about getting me one of those electric opener doohickeys instead of the decanter. Fortunately, by brother was wise enough to veto that idea.

The trivets were pretty cool.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

I am not too sure if thats a gift for them or me Smile

Indeed, indeed.

We took three trips and still talk about each. It is an easy 1 1/2 day trip from Dallas, and many of our discussions still today are about the time spent in the Suburban to and from. Cool

You will cherish the trip, marcb7.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 4 1/2 year old son told me last night when I was putting him to bed "It was the best Christmas ever", that made the day for me.

Got my wife to cry by getting her a necklace with our boys' birthstones, another good moment.

Our 2 year old was crazy, running around and ripping and smashing things.

It was a great day.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 971 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter got a big play house that she stayed in the whole day. When we told her it was time for bed she shut the door in our face. Smack

Her big gift from us is that mommmy and daddy are buying season passes to Disney for ourselves. Our first trip up is Jan 6th. Park should be pretty empty!! Winner We are going to try and make it up about 6 times per year. We'll see how that goes.

Posts: 4570 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:

I'll say both Smile Did the same last september (was their first time, as well for me) and all the familly enjoyed it...

dzitt

I love Disney World, but not a fan of Disney Land. I have taken the older kids to both, but my younger ones have never been, and keep reminding me of that fact. Smack
I think about 6 years old is the perfect age to go. Read the guides, especially the "unofficial" ones, ahead of time to maximize your experience. Stay on-porperty, and immerse yourself in the Mouse!

Good luck.

For Christmas gifts, I found some cute 1/4 bottle splits at my LWS of Nicholas Fieullate Champagne, which made perfect stocking stuffers.

I received a bottle of 2009 Beaucastel CdP, and some Schott-Zwiesels.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3133 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice on Disney and I am very much looking forward to it....and I have been on lots of sites gathering info etc etc...

Already have all the meals booked for the 7 days we will be there, including Cinderella's Castle for my little 4 y/o girl Cool

Staying, onsite, at the Beach Club Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2764 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Thanks for all the advice on Disney and I am very much looking forward to it....and I have been on lots of sites gathering info etc etc...

Already have all the meals booked for the 7 days we will be there, including Cinderella's Castle for my little 4 y/o girl Cool
Nicely done! She will love it!

Staying, onsite, at the Beach Club Smile
Excellent choice!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3133 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't normally dwell on things like this; as the saying goes, "It is better to give, than receive." And I agree. But this year, I really put some thought into it.

For the wife: Among other things, a next-to-impossible to find piece of Irish Belleek china, to complete a set she started 25 years ago, and a spa membership with pre-paid massages.

For the daughter and new s-i-l: Among other things, a laser-etched likeness of them in crystal, with a lighted LED base, and a few hundred dollars worth of restaurant certificates.

For the son: Blu-rays and video games. That's all he wants.

For friends and family: A hand-smoked turkey breast and smoked cheese for everyone.

And what did Dad get? A small Amazon gift card, a set of screwdrivers, and package of socks. Oh, and the bills.

Sometimes it really sucks being the dad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mneeley490,

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6818 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This year, I informed my family that I would be giving gifts just to my niece and 2 nephews. I felt buying off the adults' lists of things they could just get themselves and giving gift cards (and them doing the same thing for me) was silly and just added unneeded stress to the holidays. I did tell my sisters that I would give them each a bottle of wine from my cellar if they wanted one (I also supply the wines for Christmas dinner), but they need not get me gifts. So my giving consisted of a bottle of 2006 Match Butterdragon Cabernet, a 2004 Darting Ungsteiner Honigsackel Scheurebe Auslese and a 2005 Koehler Kallstadter Saumagen Habtrocken Spatlese for my 3 sisters, cash for my nephew in law school, and a baseball game this summer for my younger nephew and niece as well as a book for him and a charm for her (I bought her a charm bracelet for her baptism).

My two sisters with children did give me gifts -- one gave me cash and the other who lives in Iowa gave me a selection of foods from Iowa. The foods consisted of Prosciutto Americano from a company called La Quercia, a chunk of Prairie Breeze cheese from Milton Creamery, and some caramels with sea salt. I haven't had the Prosciutto yet, but it looks very good from what I can see through the packaging. I've had some of the cheese -- a cheddar -- and it is quite tasty. And the caramels were pretty good too. All in all an enjoyable, stress free Christmas with the emphasis on enjoying family.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:

My two sisters with children did give me gifts -- one gave me cash and the other who lives in Iowa gave me a selection of foods from Iowa. The foods consisted of Prosciutto Americano from a company called La Quercia,

I've been seeking this out to try, but have never found it locally. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you've had a chance to try it.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than a few simple stocking stuffers, my other half and I decided that our gift exchanging would consist of ordering our wedding bands. One less thing to worry about in 2013. Smile

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:

My two sisters with children did give me gifts -- one gave me cash and the other who lives in Iowa gave me a selection of foods from Iowa. The foods consisted of Prosciutto Americano from a company called La Quercia,

I've been seeking this out to try, but have never found it locally. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you've had a chance to try it.

TLV,

I'll let you know. I did check out their website (laquercia.us) and they might have a list of retailers on there.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We decided to take it easy this year as we have some investment goals and house projects we are saving for in 2013 (outside of our normal savings goals). I have been getting into cocktails lately and so my wife got me some cool old school looking barware. I got her some clothes that she really enjoyed. Nice and simple this year.

Posts: 6538 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:...The foods consisted of Prosciutto Americano from a company called La Quercia.......
This is pretty available around here and is carried by Whole Foods. The prosciutto is good, but a step below good Italian prosciutto or good Jamon Iberico. Their Speck is pretty good and IMO equal to a lot from Alto Adagio.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:...The foods consisted of Prosciutto Americano from a company called La Quercia.......
This is pretty available around here and is carried by Whole Foods. The prosciutto is good, but a step below good Italian prosciutto or good Jamon Iberico. Their Speck is pretty good and IMO equal to a lot from Alto Adagio.

That's what I was trying to see. I love a good Prosciutto di Parma, but in a blind taste test, one of the big food mags picked the La Quercia ahead of the Parma. I am skeptical, but I wanted to try it for myself.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well there is Prosciutto di Parma and there is good Prosciutto di Parma.

The stuff is fine. Give me a Prosciutto di San Danelle over either.

It's not bad, in fact I will buy the stuff especially when it's on sale.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
Recieved as gifts:
2006 Clos Erasmus Priorat
2005 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel
2007 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape x 6

I was a happy camper! Banana

Posts: 1117 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received an edgepro knife sharpening kit I've been lusting over for a few years now. I've been giggling like a kid for a few days and sharpening anything with an edge on it. I need to add a fresh box of bandaids to the knife drawer.

The Mrs. got a few things on her list (new Kindle) and a few things that didn't make her list. My new work supplied Macbook pro showed up Dec 24th so I counted that as well.

Posts: 3169 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
I received an edgepro knife sharpening kit I've been lusting over for a few years now. I've been giggling like a kid for a few days and sharpening anything with an edge on it.

Do you like it?

I have been taking our knives to a shop.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
I received an edgepro knife sharpening kit I've been lusting over for a few years now. I've been giggling like a kid for a few days and sharpening anything with an edge on it.

Do you like it?

I have been taking our knives to a shop.

Very much and it's idiot proof. It's a bit of a contraption and you'll be collecting water stones, but you can put an edge on quality steel like nobody's business.

Posts: 3169 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very much and it's idiot proof.

Then it might work for me. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Very much and it's idiot proof.

Then it might work for me. Big Grin

Smile Happy New Year