WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Fewer instances of corked wines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fewer instances of corked wines?
 Login/Join 
posted
A recent blog my Harvey S. mentioned the statistic of roughly 1 out of 12 bottles using a traditional cork being skunked. That is a figure that has been cited for quite a while. Earlier into this hobby for me, I might have said that I experienced a similar percentage of corked wines. However, over the last couple years I have to say I've been really lucky. I'm pretty sure that I probably have been experiencing this in 1 out of 30 bottles, maybe less. Again, I'm thinking wines using actual cork. Has anyone else seen a downward trend, or am I just really lucky and about to be pimp-slapped by Bacchus?

Posts: 5468 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No personal stats on the number of skunked wines. However, I'd be interested to hear how many people return these wines vs. how many people dump them down the drain and say oh well.

Posts: 529 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a corked 2000 Rosenblum Cellars Petite Sirah Pickett Road Vineyard just last night. And I had a corked 2000 Château Poujeaux in December. That's two in two months for me - both 2000 vintages. Must have been a bad year for cork. Big Grin

Posts: 3592 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Had a corked 2000 Rosenblum Cellars Petite Sirah Pickett Road Vineyard just last night. And I had a corked 2000 Château Poujeaux in December. That's two in two months for me - both 2000 vintages. Must have been a bad year for cork. Big Grin

Knowing your distaste for Bordeaux, maybe the Poujeaux wasn't actually corked... Smile

Posts: 5468 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Knowing your distaste for Bordeaux, maybe the Poujeaux wasn't actually corked... Smile

My distaste for wasting money is greater than my distaste for Bordeaux. Big Grin Besides, I opened a 2000 Château Malescasse to replace it and I loved it.

Posts: 3592 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any change ( Frown) whatsoever, but the vast majority of wines I drink are not recent releases.

I do hear the problem is getting better, but I have my doubts.

I have yet to experience any TCA from a screw cap bottle.

Posts: 30118 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Executive Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
James Laube reports that the incidence of corked wines in our Napa office tasting is the lowest since 2005.

http://www.winespectator.com/blogs/show/id/47837

Posts: 293 | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Matthews:
James Laube reports that the incidence of corked wines in our Napa office tasting is the lowest since 2005.

http://www.winespectator.com/blogs/show/id/47837

Not to doubt mr. laube, but hearsay and anecdotal evidence is certainly not proof of a lower incident of corkage.

Considering past postings from mr. laube sticking to his guns and going as far as taking it to the lab to validate his super sensitivity to tca, perhaps a suggestion would be that he take his current tastings to the lab and test for tca to validate his claims?

I certainly would be curious if there is an improvement in cork quality as the technology certainly hasn't changed much in the past 3-5 years.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12119 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoman7:
No personal stats on the number of skunked wines. However, I'd be interested to hear how many people return these wines vs. how many people dump them down the drain and say oh well.

Depends on the cost of the wine and how it was sourced. If I have a relatively cheap wine that is corked, it often gets dumped down the drain because it is not worth the hassle (unless I know I am returning to the source in a short period). Also, retailers have different policies on what they will and won't take back.

At the risk of putting the bad mouth on it, I have had a pretty good stretch of non-corked wines. This includes Spanish and Italian wines that seem to count for the highest percentage (in my personal experience) of corked wines.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've returned 100$ bottles and my local wine store takes it back without saying a word.

but if it's < 15$ not worthwhile driving out to return it.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12119 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't keep track of all corked bottles, but the percentage is definitely dropping. The reason could be better corks, but more likely is due to opening a lot more bottles with screw caps, synthetic stoppers, and even glass stoppers.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience says that there are fewer problems with corked wines. If you mostly drink wines bottled prior to the early 2000's, you probably won't notice a difference, but I think that most of the major producers who were originally in denial about cork taint have now taken action, and are more selective about the source and condition of their corks. I'm not an insider, but it is just an educated guess based on what I have observed over the last 15 years.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3115 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a while there, I was going through a bad spell of corked wines, like 1 in 4. Now, I don't think I've opened a corked wine in over 6 months.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6799 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anecdotally, i might be opening slightly fewer corked bottles in the past year or so. but the incidence of cooked bottles has skyrocketed for me (and these are coming from various shops and have not all been shipped during the height of summer). frustrating as hell, especially the recent night we opened back-to-back cooked bottles, leaving us with no juice to drink along with dinner! Mad

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally (knock on wood), I haven't encountered many corked wines in quite awhile, but I'm just waiting for it to happen Frown

Both corked wines I tasted.. sadly, we're BC wines (VQA). I've had quite a bit since then.. hopefully the streak continues.

Posts: 124 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Oct 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawk has it right....
Older vintages, yes, much more at risk. However, over the past decade, there have been many strides taken, not only in procuring better sources, but also in the sanitation on site...and don't forget, TCA can also come, and many times does come as much, if not more so, from the barrel. I am opening bottles all the time, as part of my profession, and, when it comes to wines released over the past decade, the rate is lower than 1 in 12...much lower. I will say however, that certain producers...mostly old world...seem to still struggle with this, for whatever reason. I will sometimes notice a string of corked wines coming from the same wineries.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do any of you see a difference in corked wine instances between New world and old world bottles? I probably drink 65% new world (big majority US) but i think that the corked wines are equally distributed which means i am getting a higher incidence in old world wines.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1587 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the 1000 or so wines I tasted last year, I felt that a little less than 2% were corked.

Of course, a goodly percentage of the 1000 wines used screw cap or plastic stoppers. So, of those using true cork stoppers, I would put it at 2.5% to 3%.

This is less than I recall from a decade ago, when I had multiple incidents of opening one, then another, bottle -- only to find both corked.

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1711 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes these stats will never be really accurate due to the fact that many wines go down the drain. The scary thing is how many people drink the corked bottles and like them due to their lack of any formal tasting process. Slamming wines doesn't allow one to identify corked bottles. Also how many industry folk pour corked wines at shows/events alone to realize it later when a wine geek tells them it is corked. Roll Eyes

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 450 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post