WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    October 2012 Classics Catalogue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October 2012 Classics Catalogue
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been explained consistently that 1 bottle total of DRC is allocated per person.

Considering a typical Classics generates 3 to 4 thousand orders; that there were 204 bottles of DRC; and that many of us ordered and were not allocated while some got 2 btls, says explicitly the allocation system is not working fairly, as promised.

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Beagle:
I made a random call today to see if I can snatch up anyone's cancellation.
I've been told that, if there were any cancellation, they will go onto a "list" where the people who initially order but didn't get allocation will get first dip. In other words, 1st priority after a cancellation goes to people who ordered but didn't get anything; 2nd priority then goes to the lucky winner who calls at the right time.
Does anyone have similar experience?

-----------------------------------------------
I phoned Friday and told her i ordered the Spottswoode Cabernet and was shut out and what happens if someone cancels their order.
She informed me to keep calling and that was it.

Posts: 94 | Location: Corunna Ontario | Registered: Oct 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
LCBO has said people are allocated 1 DRC, only. That's the company line (as I have been told twice). Only way someone should get 2 is if everyone else who ordered 1 got 1. Which ain't happening.

In actuality, though, that is what did happen, Darcy. Are you saying that the LCBO would only allocate one bottle of DRC period (of all wines available from the producer)? So that, if one were allocated one vineyard release that they would then be ineligible for any other vineyard from that same producer? I would be surprised if this was the case. Are you certain this detail was specified or are you possibly assuming this is the definition of detail? If Impulse's friend had been allocated 2 Echezeaux then you'd have a point.

If you are correct, then this friend essentially hit the jackpot on 2 lotteries where there were each a mere 36 bottles for Ontario (and Quebec it would appear). Winning one would've been highly improbable and winning 2 would be almost like getting strike by lighting odds!

Given the extremely small numbers, Darcy's explanation makes sense in the name of fairness. However, it won't be the first time where action do not match policy in the land of LCBO.

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another of my friends was lucky; he got me a La Tache. I should get these people to buy lottery tickets for me!

Posts: 990 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
One of my friends got 1 DRC Échézeaux and 1 DRC Grands Échézeaux for me. I am pleased!!!

Which vintage?

Posts: 990 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another of my friends was lucky; he got me a La Tache. I should get these people to buy lottery tickets for me!

I think I would stop posting these, impulse Devilish

Posts: 15428 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
One of my friends got 1 DRC Échézeaux and 1 DRC Grands Échézeaux for me. I am pleased!!!

Which vintage?

Excellent! I tasted all the '09 lineup, and thought the Montrachet, St Vivant and Echezeaux were the best of the best.

Posts: 30033 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cancellations are showing up in inventory. Just picked up a couple more Clos des Papes and Janasse Vielles Vignes. 10 of each left apparently.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2385 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for tip - Clos & Janasse already gone but picked up one the magnums of Caymus special selection Cab Sav. Vintages cancelled all the unpaid orders as of this morning so best to act fast and check availability with a phone call

I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Posts: 10 | Location: Waterloo, ON | Registered: Jun 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up 2 x 2010 Clos de Papes and 1 x 2004 200 Monges Seleccion Riserva (9 more left on the table).

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice snags on the Clos des Papes.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up 1 bottle of Deus Ex.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did fairly well with the 2010 Clos des Papes but got shut out completely from Deus ex Machina for the first time in several years. If anyone got the opposite and is interested in a swap, let me know.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTW, I did not even send off any requests, but if you want to sell a bottle or 2 of the Clos des Papes, I'd be interested.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Cancellations are showing up in inventory. Just picked up a couple more Clos des Papes and Janasse Vielles Vignes. 10 of each left apparently.

That's pretty strange cause my order was cut and there was Clos des Papes in it (meaning I got none), as well as one of the DRCs...

dzitt

Posts: 841 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dzitt, they came back into inventory Tuesday morning because of cancellation of orders for non-payment, so that's why I got a couple of extra bottles.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2385 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
dzitt, they came back into inventory Tuesday morning because of cancellation of orders for non-payment, so that's why I got a couple of extra bottles.

Wasn't blaming you, don't be worried Wink

Anyway, I just saved a trip to Hawksbury or Ottawa. My wallet is greatful...

dzitt

Posts: 841 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
OTW, I did not even send off any requests, but if you want to sell a bottle or 2 of the Clos des Papes, I'd be interested.

No worries, Dok. I'll put one aside for you.

posted Hide Post
DoktaP
I also have a Clos des Papes for you.

Posts: 166 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Feb 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks OTW and vinojoe. That is most kind and typical of the overwhelming generosity of the TWC. Thank you again gentlemen. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Because at the root of it all I am just another spineless degenerate point-whore, I ordered these wines today simply on the basis of Parker's revised scores:

2 x DOMAINE DE LA JANASSE VIEILLES VIGNES CdP 2010
4 x LE FERME DU MONT CÔTES CAPELAN CdP 2010

posted Hide Post
But otw, you're such a nice spineless degenerate point whore.

Big Grin

Posts: 2730 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no sense trying to make me feel good about it - once a point-whore, always a point-whore. Except of course, when you decide to be a virgin again - and there's no limit on how many times you can recapture that...

Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana