WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    October 2012 Classics Catalogue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October 2012 Classics Catalogue
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
The LCBO has amazingly modern IT infrastructure. They're 1995 e-commerce best practices aligned.

It's probably my fault! I told them to keep on working on it until they get it right!

Meanwhile, will I get notified about my order before the deadline for paying expires? The clock is ticking and I don't hear no ringing...

It's just about 6pm and I still haven't heard anything about my order (nor has anyone else working in my office). But being Mr NiceGuy, I called into Vintages to make some modifications to my order and pay for it. But the computer froze while we were doing this. After waiting for a long time on hold, I was told that the freeze had something to do with trying to modify an allocated product. The problem can't be fixed until tomorrow and I was assured that my order won't get cancelled if I don't call back until Friday (I'm not available tomorrow!)

Like I said, there's no sense moving beyond the 1995 platform until they get that right!

Posts: 4990 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The LCBO has amazingly modern IT infrastructure. They're 1995 e-commerce best practices aligned.

It's probably my fault! I told them to keep on working on it until they get it right!

Meanwhile, will I get notified about my order before the deadline for paying expires? The clock is ticking and I don't hear no ringing...

It's just about 6pm and I still haven't heard anything about my order (nor has anyone else working in my office). But being Mr NiceGuy, I called into Vintages to make some modifications to my order and pay for it. But the computer froze while we were doing this. After waiting for a long time on hold, I was told that the freeze had something to do with trying to modify an allocated product. The problem can't be fixed until tomorrow and I was assured that my order won't get cancelled if I don't call back until Friday (I'm not available tomorrow!)

Like I said, there's no sense moving beyond the 1995 platform until they get that right!

Brutal! Sorry to hear that otw. That is a new low, even for Vintages Classics ordering and, errr sort of, fulfillment process.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got SFA.

Posts: 88 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got SFA.

Was that served on toast? Wink We used to say SFAOT

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5446 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good on the Clos des papes, ZH-Hauserer Riesling and the scanino carobic but shut out on the Deus Ex Machina aswell.

I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Posts: 10 | Location: Waterloo, ON | Registered: Jun 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My allocation was the stingiest, ever.

No Deux Ex Machina -- nor '10 Clos des Papes nor '07 Brovia Barolo Rocche (this one was a surprise).

No pg 7 or 9 Burgs, either.

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often wonder what our free market American friends think of all this.

Posts: 564 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got an e-mail from Vintages telling me I need to pay my $0 balance by November 2nd. It repeats it 4 times on the page...

I got blanked on the DRCs, which was all that I had ordered. I was lucky with the '07 and '08, but not this year.

Posts: 968 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:

I think that they would revolt (again) against such tyranny and oppression. We, on the other hand, just line up for whatever the Monolith is prepared to let us purchase(a bit like 1960s Russia I suspect).

I'm not a miracle worker. I'm a janitor.

Posts: 335 | Location: Ontario - the new Greece | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winederlust:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:

I think that they would revolt (again) against such tyranny and oppression. We, on the other hand, just line up for whatever the Monolith is prepared to let us purchase(a bit like 1960s Russia I suspect).

I bet they'd throw a bunch of cases of wine into the harbour (cheap stuff - and drink the good stuff) and we could call it the Toronto Booze Party - in protest. Big Grin

Posts: 1616 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brutal! Sorry to hear that otw. That is a new low, even for Vintages Classics ordering and, errr sort of, fulfillment process.

Well, if you are going to be bad, you might as well do it with gusto!

Posts: 4990 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No phone call here either. I did get an email with the 'you gotta pay or esle...' message for the bottle they couldn't find in the system yesterday.

Good news is I'm now 3/1 on the 01 Scavino Carobric it total. I ordered 2 yesterday when they couldn't find any record of the 1 ordered initially. Crazy

Other good news is lots of wine coming in from other places.

posted Hide Post
I did very well for what I wanted.

2 DOMAINE ZIND-HUMBRECHT HEIMBOURG SGN 2008
2 DOMAINE ZIND-HUMBRECHT ROTENBERG SGN 2008
2 H&B FAUGERES 2010
2 GRAND VENEUR LES ORIGINES CdP 2010
2 JANASSE CdP VV 2010 - claimed by a forumite
0 CLOS DES PAPES CdP 2010
0 CLOS SAINT JEAN DEUS EX MACHINA CdP 2009
1 POGGIO ANTICO ALTERO BdM 2007 - anyone need/want this?

and a bunch of other stuff I had to toss back.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my friends got 1 DRC Échézeaux and 1 DRC Grands Échézeaux for me. I am pleased!!!

Posts: 968 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got everything I ordered (which isn't much Smile

3xBAROLO SARMASSA BREZZA
2xBAROLO ROCCHE BROVIA

Impulse, nice haul on the DRC's. You may be the only one who got more than a single Winner

Posts: 219 | Location: Upper Canada | Registered: Feb 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phone ordering starts today but I have till November 2nd to pay for my order Confused

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 620 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
One of my friends got 1 DRC Échézeaux and 1 DRC Grands Échézeaux for me. I am pleased!!!

Congratulations. Also, more evidence the LCBO's so-called lottery system is anything but random, or equitable.

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a bottle of the 2008 Zin Humb Heimbourg SGN Pinot Gris, but will part with it if any one wants it.

I just picked up 3 x 1976 Gilette and 2 x 2001 Rieussec, 750s, and am more partial to the Sauternes.

posted Hide Post
I also lucked out....got Rousseau Clos de beze and Rousseau clos de la roche....it added to an already massive order....austerity is now the order of the day....here is the rest of my order.

3 - 02 GR. ANNEE CHAMPAGNE G/BOX
1 - 99 R.D. EXTRA BRUT CHAMPAGNE
3 - 06 RIESLING BEERENAUSLESE PIES
3 - 07 BAROLO SARMASSA BREZZA
3 - 07 BAROLO MONVIGLIERO BURLOTT
3 - 06 BAROLO MASCARELLO MONPRIVA
3 - 08 BARB CURRA SOTTIMANO MAGGIO

I struck out on Brovia and all the DRCs and the rest of the Rousseaus and then cancelled some of the Barolos to make my order more "affordable"
Got to say I am happy how I made out but I get people's frustrations as I have been there in the past. The lottery is a bit of a joke

Posts: 1102 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cool Well done

Posts: 15142 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Congratulations. Also, more evidence the LCBO's so-called lottery system is anything but random, or equitable.

Not sure I understand your comment, Darcy. Of all the people that ordered DRC (and I know many) only 1 scored a couple of bottles through a friend. A lottery is a lottery. Sounds pretty random to me. Are you suggesting it's skewed in some way and, if so, how?

Posts: 15142 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which vintage?

Posts: 29646 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:

Not sure I understand your comment, Darcy. Of all the people that ordered DRC (and I know many) only 1 scored a couple of bottles through a friend. A lottery is a lottery. Sounds pretty random to me. Are you suggesting it's skewed in some way and, if so, how?

Simple. LCBO has said people are allocated 1 DRC, only. That's the company line (as I have been told twice). Only way someone should get 2 is if everyone else who ordered 1 got 1. Which ain't happening.

posted Hide Post
I made a random call today to see if I can snatch up anyone's cancellation.
I've been told that, if there were any cancellation, they will go onto a "list" where the people who initially order but didn't get allocation will get first dip. In other words, 1st priority after a cancellation goes to people who ordered but didn't get anything; 2nd priority then goes to the lucky winner who calls at the right time.
Does anyone have similar experience?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LCBO has said people are allocated 1 DRC, only. That's the company line (as I have been told twice). Only way someone should get 2 is if everyone else who ordered 1 got 1. Which ain't happening.

In actuality, though, that is what did happen, Darcy. Are you saying that the LCBO would only allocate one bottle of DRC period (of all wines available from the producer)? So that, if one were allocated one vineyard release that they would then be ineligible for any other vineyard from that same producer? I would be surprised if this was the case. Are you certain this detail was specified or are you possibly assuming this is the definition of detail? If Impulse's friend had been allocated 2 Echezeaux then you'd have a point.