WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    October 2012 Classics Catalogue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October 2012 Classics Catalogue
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Those Zind-Humbrecht wines make my mouth water!

These wines are available by the case (in"extremely limited quantities") direct from the agent. If anyone is interested in buying direct and splitting a case instead of playing the Classics Lottery Game, I'll do the legwork:

Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Heimbourg Selection de Grains Noble Pinot Gris 2008
Alsace, France
$79/btl, 12x375ml

Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Rotenbourg Selection de Grains Nobles Pinot Gris 2008
Alsace, France
$69/btl, 12x375ml

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can help you share the burden Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5437 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

May we live long enough to taste these in their prime.

Heimbourg, Rotenbourg, or both?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoktaP:

May we live long enough to taste these in their prime.

+2 Sent you an email VinT.

OTW may be up for these also.

CHeers,

I got the Trialto email but it looked like it was just redirecting us to Classics order page. It didn't look like Trialto was taking direct orders - would be a bonus if they did.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may also be in....I did put in for 2 of each but it all depends on what I get in the lottery. If I get the rousseaus, i'll have to cancel almost everything else.....

Posts: 1098 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just re-read the email from the agent and on second reading, it's not clear whether this was an offer to purchase direct or simply a notification of availability through Classics. Confused I asked for a clarification and will advise.

posted Hide Post
Bang

This is me being an idiot.

Apparently I am still learning how to read. The Z-H are not being offered direct from the agent.

My apologies and best of luck to all in the lottery.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone been contacted about their allocations?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Beagle:
Has anyone been contacted about their allocations?

Yes, I heard gales of laughter coming from someplace downtown, somewhere near the east Lakeshore...

You are a bit fast on the uptake. This is the goviment, after all. Try asking next week. And then call them on the 26th to ask why you haven't heard anything yet.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand... don't they have an application that processes these order, and would supposedly pick the "lucky winners"?
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it about two weeks...

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 615 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand... don't they have an application that processes these order, and would supposedly pick the "lucky winners"?

Do you realise just how many guvment workers (sarcasm intended) it takes to click on the 'RUN' button?

Everything in the guvmint has to have a process. First you need to have a conference, then there are the special training seminars, then you call tenders to select the right 'mouse'. Then it all gets put on hold while they have public consultation to determine if the application can be rewritten, with input from lobbyists, consultants, expert witnesses and white papers. It just goes on and on...

I'm exhausted just thinking about the process. Maybe I should take a bankable sick day...

Posts: 4983 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

Do you realise just how many guvment workers (sarcasm intended) it takes to click on the 'RUN' button?

Everything in the guvmint has to have a process. First you need to have a conference, then there are the special training seminars, then you call tenders to select the right 'mouse'. Then it all gets put on hold while they have public consultation to determine if the application can be rewritten, with input from lobbyists, consultants, expert witnesses and white papers. It just goes on and on...

I'm exhausted just thinking about the process. Maybe I should take a bankable sick day...

Quote from my late uncle who spent a lifetime working (sort of) for CRA (guvment outfit): 'Why do guvment workers only open one eye in the morning?....

....it leaves them something to do for the afternoon' LOL Actual quote from uncle in the tax dept.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm literally in the middle of one of these processes right now and I want to vomit. The original RFP was close to 200 pages and late last week we got all the addendums. Another 75 pages.

90% of the questions were written by consultants who have absolutely no idea of the corresponding business for tender.

The kicker is each respondent must submit 9 individual, bound copies of their proposal. What a waste of paper, time, and money.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having received all this wonderfully constructive feedback, I have no doubt the LCBO will respond.

Expect higher prices, diminished selection, more favoritism in Classics orders allotment, ever more expensive literature on your doorstep, raises for all LCBO employees at 5X inflation, worse answers from customer "service" and generally elevated rates of incompetence at all levels.

Oh, and more protestations that "social responsibility" is the reason the absolute monopoly needs to be maintained.

posted Hide Post
Anyone get a classics allocation yet?

http://www.bythevines.com

Posts: 526 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on phone ordering this Friday, you'll probably get something Wednesday at the earliest. Either way, check VSO in the "Make a Payment" section of Direct Sales. Your total will be there before you are notified of your allocation.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, I have a payment request in VSO as of this morning.

Now comes the "hilarious" part. They want payemnent BY TOMORROW or they are going to release your allocations to the public. W. T. F. Needless to say, I submitted a complaint (which will be ignored). The person on the phone line could not clarify to me as to what would happen if someone was out of the country and unable to be contacted regarding their allocations. This is total BS.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did they state they want payment by tomorrow? Also, if you don't receive a notification, how would you know that there's a payment to process? They can't seriously expect everyone that submitted orders to check VSO every day to see if there is an outstanding payment waiting.

Posts: 10697 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called to find out my allocations and that was when I was informed of the payment "requirement". She said they are going to be calling everyone within the next 1-2 days. So I guess tomorrow for me is within 1 day for everyone of when they would be notified of their allocation.

posted Hide Post
I logged into the online shop, direct sales, make a payment.... 'No order requiring payment at this time'.

Guess you need to just keep checking. As punched, drilled, and bored as the LCBO can be, I can't imagine them wanting payment before notifying you that it is required or that the item has been allocated.... or can I? Confused

What a case study in customer service. LOL

posted Hide Post
Actually did pretty well this time. Got the following:

4/4 NV Jean Milan 1864 Grand Reserve
2/4 2010 Janasse Vielles Vignes CdP
4/4 2009 Zind Humbrecht Clos Hauserer Riesling
2/4 2010 Clos des Papes CdP
0/4 2010 Deus Ex Machina

Got the Clos des Papes elsewhere, so if anyone wants my 2 bottles, you're welcome to them.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They can't seriously expect everyone that submitted orders to check VSO every day to see if there is an outstanding payment waiting.

Normally, I'd agree, but this is the LCBO....

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Actually did pretty well this time. Got the following:

4/4 NV Jean Milan 1864 Grand Reserve
2/4 2010 Janasse Vielles Vignes CdP
4/4 2009 Zind Humbrecht Clos Hauserer Riesling
2/4 2010 Clos des Papes CdP
0/4 2010 Deus Ex Machina

Got the Clos des Papes elsewhere, so if anyone wants my 2 bottles, you're welcome to them.

Very nice CSM! None of the ZH Pinot Gris? I might be up for the Clos d P, and will get back via email.

posted Hide Post
With exception of the DRC wines ordered for a fellow, wealthy forumite, it appears I got everything I ordered.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there no way to see what one actually got? I can see how much I owe and can bring up my order, but does one really have to back calculate to determine what was allowed?

Posts: 9679 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post