WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    1 Day only trip - can I go wrong?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 Day only trip - can I go wrong?
 Login/Join 
posted
Headed in for one day before business. My list is Peju, Mondavi, St. Clement and Regusci. Can I go wrong with any of them? THX.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get the point.

You want to visit a winery? What does it mean to go wrong? What do you want? Do you know these wines pretty well?

If you haven't been to a winery before, it will all be a new experience. I'd go to Mondavi. They take you on a nice tour, they show you how wine is made, they talk to you about the region and the vineyards, and you taste some wine. They pretty much created wine tourism and they have a beautiful facility so I'd definitely go see them.

Peju is a small family operation that's much newer. Very nice people. Regusci is probably the oldest since it dates to the 1800s. Also much smaller and tourist oriented than Mondavi. Go to Mondavi first.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2681 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't mind gregt, you're spending a day doing nohting but drinking wine

you can never go wrong ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12524 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you ask 10 people which four wineries to visit in Napa, you'l probably get 25-30 different suggestions.

Mondavi is a great start for a newbie. After that, it's pretty much personal preferences or convenience.

I would take a look at the four you mentioned on a map and make sure you are not driving up and down the valley. Wineries tend to close by 5 and if you go a busy weekend, you'll spend a third of your time in the car.

Posts: 5218 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the insight.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would take a look at the four you mentioned on a map and make sure you are not driving up and down the valley. Wineries tend to close by 5

Good point!

And G-man had a good point too. You're spending the day drinking wine. How bad can it be?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2681 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post