WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2011 - What are you buying?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2011 - What are you buying?
 Login/Join 
posted
Just got back from my annual holiday trip to Napa and I picked up:

4 x 2008 PlumpJack Syrah
4 x 2008 Pride Merlot
2 x 2007 Pride Reserve Cabernet
4 x 2008 Larkmead Cabernet
2 x 2007 Buccella Merlot
1 x 2000 Robert Foley Claret
2 x 2008 Stephen & Walker Zinfandel
2 x 2007 Lazy Creek Vineyards Pinot
3 x 2008 Whitehall Lane Pinot Carneros
2 x 2008 Whitehall Lane Orange Muscat
2 x 2006 Chimney Rock Elevage

Ryan

Posts: 1001 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing. Let's see how long it is before I crack.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13447 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the usual stuff. SQN, Scarecrow, Herb Lamb and a few others.

Ryan, it was great to meet you & your family.

Carrie
Napa Valley Wine & Cigar

Posts: 383 | Location: Napa Valley | Registered: May 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 x 2009 Dönnhoff estate Riesling.

Posts: 2645 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carrie, it was great meeting you and Randy aswell. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the rest of that Groth Reserve Cab we left.

And thanks for those 2 bottles of 07 Buccella Merlot! I was running a bit low on that one Smile

Ryan

Posts: 1001 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:

Ryan did you try this at the winery? If so what were your impressions?

Posts: 1110 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My January 1 bottle:
2007 O'Shaughnessy Howell Mountain

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1402 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
quote:

Ryan did you try this at the winery? If so what were your impressions?

Yeah, I tried it at the winery. I don't know how many vintages you've experienced of Pride's Reserve Cab, but their 07 is a bit different than past bottlings. The alcohol is still there, but the fruit is rather toned down (especially compared to their 05 and 06 bottlings). It's more leaning towards red fruits than the typical black and blue fruits of the past. Rather approachable young with cedar, dark chocolate, decent acidity and fine tannins...and it's a bit dusty and smokey. I'm curious to see how this one ages because I really can't get a read on it right now.

It's a great bottle of wine, but their 01, 02, 05 and 06 bottlings are superior in my book. It's lacking the overall richness and vanilla bean flavors that I have come to love from their past vintages. Though I already owned 2 bottles of it, and it was good enough for me to buy 2 more now that I've tasted it. But then again, the Pride Reserve Cabernet has been a perennial favorite of mine for years, so my palate may be a bit biased.

And to add a note about their Merlots...they have a very bright future there IMO. The 2008 Merlot is every bit as good as the 07, but with a bit more fruit. And both of their 09 Merlots (the standard bottling and Vintner Select) showed amazing promise in the barrel...I'm really looking forward to these.

Ryan

posted Hide Post
quote:

That's interesting. After we purchased a mixed case of Pride wines during our visit, I called and asked to purchase more of the '07 Reserve Cabs and was told that they had no more left. Red Face

Posts: 5086 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried and bought the 2006 at the winery last year. I liked it alot. Odd that the 2007 is so much different. I've had the 2006, 2007 Merlot, but passed on the 2008. Sounds like I shouldn't have??

Posts: 1110 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:

Popcorn

Posts: 1582 | Registered: May 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Sang Des Cailloux Vacqueyras Rouge.

Posts: 9380 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4x NV H.Goutorbe Cuvee Prestige.

Posts: 30013 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
Tried and bought the 2006 at the winery last year. I liked it alot. Odd that the 2007 is so much different. I've had the 2006, 2007 Merlot, but passed on the 2008. Sounds like I shouldn't have??

I believe 2007 was the first Reserve Cab bottling that their new winemaker (Sally Johnson) had her fingerprints on. No surprise to me that it's quite different than previous vintages...Foley was the previous winemaker, and he has a very particular winemaking style and some big shoes to fill. I'm really looking forward to the 08 Reserve Cab though. I'm just loving the fruit from several of the 08 Napa Cabs I have tasted thus far. I'm already leaning towards the 08 vintage over the sensational 07 in a whole.

I love the 07 Merlot, and I give the 08 a very slight edge. Clearly not a pass in my book, but that's just me.

DoubleD - I don't know, but they always seem to have some laying around. Heck, I was able to get a 6-pack of the 2006 Reserve Cab even after the 07 Reserve had been released. Maybe they just like me more Big Grin

Ryan

posted Hide Post
quote:
DoubleD - I don't know, but they always seem to have some laying around. Heck, I was able to get a 6-pack of the 2006 Reserve Cab even after the 07 Reserve had been released. Maybe they just like me more Big Grin
Frown Dang. That's messed up.

Posts: 5086 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading this I called the winery and they sold me a case of 2002 Reserve. Big Grin JK, I wish.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I hope you like it as much as we did. It's also an interesting visit.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

4 x 2008 PlumpJack Syrah
4 x 2008 Pride Merlot
4 x 2008 Larkmead Cabernet
2 x 2007 Buccella Merlot
1 x 2000 Robert Foley Claret
2 x 2008 Stephen & Walker Zinfandel
2 x 2007 Lazy Creek Vineyards Pinot
3 x 2008 Whitehall Lane Pinot Carneros
2 x 2008 Whitehall Lane Orange Muscat
2 x 2006 Chimney Rock Elevage

Thanks a lot, Ryan! I'll be down there in 10 days and you've basically cleaned the place out! Wink

-------------------------
"I always advise that before you say something bad about someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed off, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes." - Willie Nelson

Posts: 1655 | Location: Montana | Registered: Jul 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carrie, it was great meeting you and Randy aswell. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the rest of that Groth Reserve Cab we left.

And thanks for those 2 bottles of 07 Buccella Merlot! I was running a bit low on that one Smile

The Groth drank great, really enjoyed it later that day. Thanks..

Carrie
Napa Valley Wine & Cigar

Posts: 383 | Location: Napa Valley | Registered: May 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

A lot of interesting stuff lately with this wine. Apparently it overshadowed some big names in big vintages in someones offline recently. You'll have to post a note about how it shows.

Edit: I just noticed the post in the drinking thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jqmunro,

Posts: 1582 | Registered: May 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this time I have too much wine, far too much of it isn't even ready to drink and I want to quit buying.

The only things I think I will spring for are 2004 Fuligni Bdm (both normale and riserva) and then maybe continue to work on my Numanthia vertical. Otherwise...I'm good Smile

Of course the occasional Garagiste goody will appear but that's it for now.

"This may be the wine talking but I want some more wine"

Posts: 1022 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting for my Kutch mailer. I'll be buying as much as Jamie will sell me!

Posts: 1704 | Location: Just outside Philadelphia, Pa. | Registered: Feb 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:

I'm with you as well, let's see

Posts: 3699 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krug 1985
Haut Brion 1990

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Schrader T6

Ryan