Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAQ Alert?
 Login/Join 
posted
How about a SAQ Alert thread? If you know of a sale, release or great gem that forum members might want to know about. You could also report errors such as vintage and inventory etc Roll Eyes

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 650 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will write here as soon as I see / hear / know something about our monopoly Smile

dzitt

Posts: 732 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a price alert but SAQ related. I just finished flipping through the Autumn 2012 'Cellier' SAQ magazine and I am impressed. Great content for a 'free' mag. Some interesting articles and recipes along with their listing of new releases. A decent effort and puts LCBO release mag to shame (although I do realize the LCBO pumps out a mag every 2 weeks). Any Ontarians not signed up should do so. The mag is worth reading and you get a heads up on their special releases.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about this?

2003 Taylor vintage port for $135 at SAQ, $269 in Ontario. Spit

1997 Taylor? In Ontario, $327 (yes, really). At the SAQ you can get a mag for $246

I could go on..... Frown Mad Ack

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10509 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
How about this?

2003 Taylor vintage port for $135 at SAQ, $269 in Ontario. Spit

1997 Taylor? In Ontario, $327 (yes, really). At the SAQ you can get a mag for $246

I could go on..... Frown Mad Ack

Can you not buy online and ship to Ontario?

Posts: 29471 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I am home in Ottawa I can just drive across the river and buy them if they are in the stores in Gatineau, but in fact I am buying only older port vintages now because my current stock of younger bottles will last me the rest of my life - barring any innovations in longevity, of course.

Sadly, older bottles, by which I mean 1985 or older, even at crappy prices, are rarer than bargains anywhere in Canada. Horse

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10509 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
When I am home in Ottawa I can just drive across the river and buy them if they are in the stores in Gatineau, but in fact I am buying only older port vintages now because my current stock of younger bottles will last me the rest of my life - barring any innovations in longevity, of course.

Sadly, older bottles, by which I mean 1985 or older, even at crappy prices, are rarer than bargains anywhere in Canada. Horse

I know being a wine enthusiast is FAR more complicated in Canada than here in America.

I love competition. Wink

Posts: 29471 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2006 Poggio Verrano Dròmos - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana IGT (12/23/2012)
    Decanted for one hour. Nose of sweet fruits and vanilla spice. Great full bodied mouth with medium acidity, smooth tannins and a long finish. Balanced and great now. A new Beauty from Bolgheri. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Alicante, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc. I found this wine at the SAQ for $33! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 650 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
  • 2006 Poggio Verrano Dròmos - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana IGT (12/23/2012)
    Decanted for one hour. Nose of sweet fruits and vanilla spice. Great full bodied mouth with medium acidity, smooth tannins and a long finish. Balanced and great now. A new Beauty from Bolgheri. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Alicante, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc. I found this wine at the SAQ for $33! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had this wine last summer and it was very good !

dzitt

Posts: 732 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Dromos. I picked one up at the last sale to try. Liked it a lot and went back the next day for more.

Posts: 9617 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LCBO is offering the same wine, same vintage, for $6 more. Grrr.

Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dec 14 I purchased Domaine Giraud les Gallimardes and Grenache de Pierre. 86.00 and 98.00 or close. EXTREMELY limited wines, Grenache de Pierre 2010 is easily the best Grenache wine I have tasted. I tracked these down from British Columbia.

Merry Christmas

Posts: 32 | Registered: Dec 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post