Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Bordeaux
 Login/Join 
posted
I am in here Bordeaux tasting 1,000 2005 Bordeaux from bottle. There are some fabulous wines. Just curious if you bought some. And, if so, what?

Posts: 969 | Registered: Dec 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your favorites so far? I passed on futures but will probably buy some of this and that once they're out on the marketplace.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your colleague, James Molesworth, successfully convinced me that I needed to buy a boatload of '05 CNDP. As a result, I have no money to spend on Bordeaux. Frown

That being said, I have been tempted by Leoville Barton and Pontet-Canet. If they shouldn't be missed, maybe I could make it happen. How are the Sauternes shaping up?

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've purchased NO 2005 Bordeaux. Due to pricing, I've been focusing on earlier vintages for the First and Second Growths. '05 (in general) is just too rich for my blood. For now, it's a 'pass'.

Posts: 15568 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I can't tell you my favorites. You will have to read the magazine! I just tasted 12 Sauternes about five minutes ago and they are shaping up just fine -- between 2001 and 2003 in style. AS FAR AS PRICES, THAT IS A GROSS OVERSTATMENT THAT ALL 2005S ARE TOO EXPENSIVE . There will be 100s of very good to outstanding wines for between $30 and $60 a bottle in 2005 Bordeaux. But, yes, the first growths are insanely expensive.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Suckling:
Thanks for the comments. I can't tell you my favorites. You will have to read the magazine! I just tasted 12 Sauternes about five minutes ago and they are shaping up just fine -- between 2001 and 2003 in style. AS FAR AS PRICES, THAT IS A GROSS OVERSTATMENT THAT ALL 2005S ARE TOO EXPENSIVE . There will be 100s of very good to outstanding wines for between $30 and $60 a bottle in 2005 Bordeaux. But, yes, the first growths are insanely expensive.

I promised myself that 2003 would be my last major en primeur Bordeaux purchase on the grounds of age so when 2005 came around I confined myself to 2 minor wines: Dame de Montrose and de Fonbel both of which I expect to be able to drink well within 10 years. I look forward to your report.

Posts: 421 | Location: London, England | Registered: Feb 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James, here is a list of 05 futures I bought:
Quinault L'Enclos
Brane-Cantenac
Haut-Bergey
Monbousquet
L'Arrosee
Smith Haut Lafite
Clos St. Martin
Boyd Cantenac
Petit Bocq
Caronne Ste. Gemme
Tour St. Bonnet
Mylord
Lanessan
Pontet Canet
Barde Haut
d'Issan
Rouget
Pavie Macquin
Lafon Rochet
Haut Bages Liberal
Haut Bailley
Clos Du Marquis
Domaine de Chevalier
La Croix de Beaucaillou
Michel Rolland Cuvee No. 1

BTW...James....I bought these a year ago already, so most have seen some good price jumps already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: baja,

Live, love and eat

Posts: 250 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Apr 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You went large! Case of each?

posted Hide Post
quote:
You went large! Case of each?

About 7 of them are full cases....the rest were 3-6 bottles per.....some were mags also.

Live, love and eat

Posts: 250 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Apr 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
AS FAR AS PRICES, THAT IS A GROSS OVERSTATMENT THAT ALL 2005S ARE TOO EXPENSIVE . There will be 100s of very good to outstanding wines for between $30 and $60 a bottle in 2005 Bordeaux. But, yes, the first growths are insanely expensive.

I agree, claiming that ALL '05's are too expensive would indeed be an unfair, "wide brush stroke", assertion. My comment focused indeed on First, and in many cases, Second Growths. I'm being very cautious about this vintage, desiring some guidance, per reports such as your upcoming. Looking forward to it.

Like Nigel, I'm another that will generally focus on wines requiring less aging from this vintage forward.

Posts: 15568 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell you my favorites. You will have to read the magazine!

Oh...come on...you can throw us a bone or two. A little love for the forums never hurt anyone. We promise to read the magazine when it comes out.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James, I bought a case of Malescot, and half a case each of Haut-Bages-Liberal and Malmaison. 6 half bottles of Doisy-Daene. 3 mags of Ponet Cantet.

When is your report coming out?

Posts: 1048 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell you my favorites. You will have to read the magazine!

Can you give us your impressions of each region, or even left versus right bank, or even if they're all THAT good across the entire region.

I bought a lot of '03s and given the price level of the '05 firsts and seconds, I pretty much passed. I did however, buy some '05 Pavie and Macquin. Compared to the firsts, these looked like bargains, even though they were twice the price of the '03s.

Oh, I forgot the '05 Rieussec's that I bought too. Still too many bargains out there with the '03s to go big on the '05s yet.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the sentiment above- 05 is not overpriced across the board. I bought a few cases on futures and IMO I got some good values.

Now, 2006, that's a different story! Talk about overpriced! I'm afraid the vintage is overpriced from top to bottom for 2006, but much of that is also due to the strength of the euro.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5566 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After all the hoopla dies down I'll go to premiercru.net and see if I can get some good value still from the 2005 vintage bordeaux. Like wines I bought from the 2003 vintage amongst others. However there might not be alot left. Razz

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a Bordeaux futures newbie I bought one case of 2005 Chateau Malmaison based on you potential score James. Hopefully it turns out as well as you thought it might.

Anyways, keep up the good work. I enjoy reading you blog postings.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ajax, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,

First off, thanks for your continued participation in the forums with us "commoners," Wink.

Anyways, I've bought these 2005 futures, all half or full cases:

Ch. Leoville Poyferre
Ch. Bahans
Ch. Duhart-Milon
Ch. Petit Bocq

I'm probably most excited by the Poyferre, as it's they've been picking up steam in recent years.

Cheers,

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rieussec
Ducru Beaucaillou
Leoville Barton

A bottle of each. We just got in Lascombes. 04 was $45. 05 is nearly $100.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James after first being hesitant I eventually bought big on 2005. I picked up a few big names but mainly good value wines.
Caronne St. Gemme
Marquis d'Alesme Becker
Cap de Faugeres
Boyd Cantenac
Haut Bergey
Fombrauge
La Tour Carnet
Beau Site
....and many others. Probably my most complete futures campaign. Almost 10 cases worth from over 7 different stores.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very little. I have better things to do with my money. The prices are simply ridiculous, at least for the better wines, and I have no interest in the others.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stuck with a few perennial staples in 2005:

Talbot
Guiraud
Lynch-Bages
Léoville-Barton
Pontet-Canet

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a case of 2005 Leoville Poyferre - any notes on that?

Posts: 2645 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consulted the initial ratings of both RP and JS and found what I consider safe bets. Cases of Lagrange, Boyd Cantenac and Haut Bages Liberal and a half case of Bahans. Wish I had gotten some pavillon rouge.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead Horse.

Let us talk about these in 15-20 years when we are drinking them. All kinds of dummies get caught up in buying for the sake of buying. I even remember seeing people wanting to sell their 2000s they had been holding onto so they could buy 2005s.
Confused Roll Eyes

A more interesting discussion would be selling the 2007 vintage at those new high prices.

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
d'Aiguilhe Querre
Bellisle Mondotte
Boyd-Cantenac
Caronne Ste. Gemme
Haut-Bages Libéral
La Clotte
Malmaison
Pipeau
Puygueraud
Smith Haut Lafitte

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.lastbottlewines.com/invite/0afe3ca693abaf078afeb3779d49acb72a83998c

Posts: 123 | Location: Kansas City Area | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post