WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Help pick the wines for my son's bar mitzvah
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help pick the wines for my son's bar mitzvah
 Login/Join 
posted
I thought I'd try a little crowd-sourcing for some assistance with the wine selection for our son's upcoming bar mitzvah. The venue where we are hosting the event does not permit me to supply my own wine and is forcing me to choose one red and one white from the options below. I'm not really familiar with these wines, so any help would be appreciated.

REDS:
- Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bogle Petite Syrah
- Cetamura Chianti
- Willowglen Shiraz
- Firestone Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- Peller Estates Cabernet Merlot

WHITES:
- Oyster Bay Chardonnay
- Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc
- Cusumano Angime Chardonnay
- Wolf Blass Chardonnay
- Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio
- Firestone Vineyard Selection Chardonnay
- Peller Estates Chardonnay
- Antinori Casasole Orvieto

The menu has not yet been finalized, but suffice it to say that we are looking for wines with broad appeal that can be both sipped on their own as well as paired with food. I expect that the appetizers will include red pepper soup, mini burgers, vegetable rolls, and the mains will include lamb, salmon and a butternut squash ravioli.

Many thanks!

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slan: Why don't you ask them to let you and your wife sample them. They are "meh" wines, but all you really want are crowd pleasers. Trust your own palate.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5811 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the food served and the limited selection, I would go with the petite sirah and the sauvignon blanc. Both would fall into "crowd pleaser" territoty and are decent enough wines in their own right. IMO, they are also varietals that can perform consistently well at lower price points. Good luck!

Posts: 5517 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bogle Petit Syrah is rather strong and has very deep blackberry flavors. It's inky in color. Always gets 86-88 pts from WS. It would go with the soup and the burgers and the lamb. But, sipping it on its own might be a bit dicey. I don't know the Peller estates wine, but since it is likely lighter, might be a better walking around and sipping choice.
The sauvignon blanc is a very drinkable wine.
Inexpensive chardonnay really tastes like crap.
And...Mazal Tov.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: irwin,

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't overthink this---it's just....wine. Smile
These should suffice and congrats!

--Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon

--Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had the Bogle many times. Not that bad. None of teh other reds.

As for the White I like Oyster Bay products. Chard would be a better crowd pleaser. Avoid the PG at all costs. The stuff is crap.

I like DoktaP suggestion, have a tasting.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6408 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
Don't overthink this---it's just....wine. Smile
These should suffice and congrats!

--Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon

--Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio

I acutally agree with these two also

that pinot grigio is always a big hit amongst quaffers at big parties

the wolf blass is a decent volume producer.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12355 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I will definitely try to arrange a tasting, although they may not all be available for that, so please keep the suggestions coming!

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, Mazel Tov to your entire mishpachah

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5811 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The venue has added another red for me to choose from: McManis Cabernet. Does that change anyone's view?

posted Hide Post
It changes mine.
I think that McManis makes some lovely wines and I think since this is lighter than the petit syrah of Bogle, it is a better wine for the hors d'ouevre portion. A much better "walk around" and sip type of wine.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Israeli wines? Shame some of those I tasted there are not available here, though Edna Valley Red used to be.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10726 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bogle and Santa Margarita. (SB if the PG is much more $, just not worth the dollars if that is the case.)

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7655 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
BTW, Mazel Tov to your entire mishpachah

Slan,

What he said. Wink

For reds, Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cab is a safe crowd pleaser IME.

Whites... I would go unoaked chard or a pinot grigio.

Congrats!

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slan:
What did you choose? When is the event?
How did it go (if passed)?

posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. We're still six weeks away from the big event.

posted Hide Post
Our venue added a couple of additional selections, so here's what it looks like we're going to go with:

Red: 2010 Duckhorn "Decoy"
White: 2010 McManis Chardonnay

posted Hide Post
Mazel Tov, Slan & son. I think those are better wines than what I remember ever being served at a bar mitzvah.

Was there no Carmel or Manischewitz available? Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8572 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post