WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages November 10 2012
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages November 10 2012
 Login/Join 
posted
Here

2010 Le Vieux Donjon

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of goodies in this one.

My wine picks.

Posts: 176 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Feb 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cono_sur:

My wine picks.

Do you taste all of these wines?

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:

My wine picks.

Do you taste all of these wines?

I, for some strange reason I can't understand at this point, wondered the same thing.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2385 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same issue we have all pointed out in the past. You can NOT provide recs for things you have not tasted......period

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To some extent, I disagree. I can recommend any 2010 Rhones from Chapoutier, Jaboulet, and Rene Rostaing. I've tasted the 2009s, but based on the emerging picture of the 2010 vintage, I'd bet heavily on their 2010s. There are other similar examples.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
To some extent, I disagree. I can recommend any 2010 Rhones from Chapoutier, Jaboulet, and Rene Rostaing. I've tasted the 2009s, but based on the emerging picture of the 2010 vintage, I'd bet heavily on their 2010s. There are other similar examples.

Sticking up for him? Really Board-O?

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry Board-O.....have to disagree.....you have tasted multiple vintages so can comment with some knowledge.....I have never heard cono sur state that he has drank other vintages etc as a baseline for an opinion. Rather, he is making recs based on price and score which to me has little value

posted Hide Post
LOL

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
Same issue we have all pointed out in the past. You can NOT provide recs for things you have not tasted......period

You can but shouldn't.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean that someone with this self-proclaimed expertise can't raise blind tasting to a new level - blind guessing:

"Now, I am highly regarded by friends and colleagues as a resource for when they need a wine for that special occasion - anniversary, birthday, wedding, gatherings at home, or when they want to impress their special friend or the In-Laws."

I'm not a miracle worker. I'm a janitor.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ontario - the new Greece | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll play devil's advocate here. That is cono_sur's blog and as is the nature of blogs, it's a journal of one's opinion shared in public with others who have similar interest. He doesn't profess to be a wine critic like Beppi or Asper.

Back in the 90's when I switched from Finance to IT, I created a website about Toronto that was the equivalent to today's blogs. You make interesting connections but it took time and effort. Rather than just posting his views and opinions on a wine board like WS, cono_sur took the time to research and start a blog to share his passion. This is initiative and is commendable. This is social media. Choose to ignore rather than ridicule if it's not your fancy. Popcorn

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
Choose to ignore rather than ridicule if it's not your fancy. Popcorn

I ignore. I don't read his silly little blog. Call it "blind guessing." LOL

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll play devil's advocate here. That is cono_sur's blog and as is the nature of blogs, it's a journal of one's opinion shared in public with others who have similar interest. He doesn't profess to be a wine critic like Beppi or Asper.

Back in the 90's when I switched from Finance to IT, I created a website about Toronto that was the equivalent to today's blogs. You make interesting connections but it took time and effort. Rather than just posting his views and opinions on a wine board like WS, cono_sur took the time to research and start a blog to share his passion. This is initiative and is commendable. This is social media. Choose to ignore rather than ridicule if it's not your fancy. Popcorn

+1
If this were a high school forum we'd all be rounded up and arrested for bullying.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wine picks.

Please keep in mind that cono_sur could very well be a product consultant who works at the LCBO him/herself. I know of a few of them who frequent this site and post product notes.

Wine writers also have access to tastings as well.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

How is he any different from spam? There is a "shop" tab on his "blog" that has a direct links to amazon with, presumably, his own ID. By posting into a thread, week in and week out, with nothing but a link alluding to its relevance to the thread, he is, in essence, exploiting the traffic to the WS forum (i.e. spam).

posted Hide Post
Can you explain to me why you would even think of clicking on the link to his blog? Are you bored? Do you think it would be interesting? Are you masochistic? Do you enjoy reading the self-aggrandizing BS that you can be sure is on it?

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you explain to me why you would even think of clicking on the link to his blog? Are you bored? Do you think it would be interesting? Are you masochistic? Do you enjoy reading the self-aggrandizing BS that you can be sure is on it?

Same reason why you read and responded to his "Various in Niagara" thread. I needed a quick laugh. Crazy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
quote:

+1
If this were a high school forum we'd all be rounded up and arrested for bullying.

+2

Posts: 1818 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
quote:

+1

+2

Good point Dave and Ross....
Certainly made me think about it in a different way, thanks for bringing us back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
quote:

+1

+2

I agree that cono_sur is entitled to his own opinion, but when you post in the public forum, you leave yourself open to any and all critiques, positive or negative. I am of the opinion that his website and recommendations are generally useless, and I will continue to voice this opinion whenever I choose to do so.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:

I agree that cono_sur is entitled to his own opinion, but when you post in the public forum, you leave yourself open to any and all critiques, positive or negative. I am of the opinion that his website and recommendations are generally useless, and I will continue to voice this opinion whenever I choose to do so.

Do whatever makes you feel better. Go for it. Me personally I find your constant bashing to be as useless as his recommendations. Why not just ignore and spend your time posting useful stuff, like your amazing tasting notes which I find to be some of the best on this Forum.

sorry, I don't mean to come across as an ass, I get your point. Cono Sur has never responded to anyone and continues to post so it's not going to change anything. Just best to ignore and carry on. My 2c

Posts: 2273 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do whatever makes you feel better. Go for it. Me personally I find your constant bashing to be as useless as his recommendations. Why not just ignore and spend your time posting useful stuff, like your amazing tasting notes which I find to be some of the best on this Forum.

sorry, I don't mean to come across as an ass, I get your point. Cono Sur has never responded to anyone and continues to post so it's not going to change anything. Just best to ignore and carry on. My 2c

Constant bashing? Are you sure you read my posts? My last 2 comments to the guy included a legitimate question about one of his choices, and the other was a positive statement about him now willing to spend out of his initial $20-$25 range. Prior to that, I can't even recall the last time I made a negative (or any) comment to the guy (I went back 4 months looking).

Posts: 1282 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Constant bashing? Are you sure you read my posts? My last 2 comments to the guy included a legitimate question about one of his choices, and the other was a positive statement about him now willing to spend out of his initial $20-$25 range. Prior to that, I can't even recall the last time I made a negative (or any) comment to the guy (I went back 4 months looking).

sorry, I guess I was meaning 'group bashing'.
Anyway, I should have kept my mouth shut Smack

posted Hide Post
Help!!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post