WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages January 19 2013
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages January 19 2013
 Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vintages releases this time of year are so not inspiring. Good time to slow the acquisition rate.

Maybe I'll try the 2001 La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Ardanza Reserva Especial.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay,

+1, January releases seem to be targeted to the 'empty wallet' market segment. There could be some daily drinker/quaffers lurking.

Joseph Cattin Riesling. Kacaba Cab/Syrah might be interesting.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the wines of Spain (mostly red) and often find them to have an excellent quality to price ratio. Not familiar with too many of them in this release, but wondered if anyone had tried any of these, or if there were ones that are consistently good.

I thought the sarada might be interesting and maybe the bordon rioja. I'd welcome any suggestion as I value the opinions of the people on this board more than most of the reviews in the vintages magazine.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A $40 Spatburgunder? Crazy

Posts: 260 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:

I don't see any Germany pinot noir in the release?
If I buy anything it will likely be one of the Spanish ones that I can pick up 6 or 12 to drink a bottle on a weeknight without breaking the bank.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swinter:
quote:

I don't see any Germany pinot noir in the release?
If I buy anything it will likely be one of the Spanish ones that I can pick up 6 or 12 to drink a bottle on a weeknight without breaking the bank.
e
U

Look at the bottom. Its an ISD product. So it wont be in every store.

Posts: 260 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that, but you never know. I found this description on a German wine site for those who are interested:

Description
Spicy aroma with peppers, strawberries, raspberries and shades from the barrel. Juicy, spicy flavor with a cool tone, fresh berries and spicy aftertaste with fadpræg without it drying "

Werner Nakel have unconditional Germany's safest Spätburgunder hand. It is clearly expressed in his base Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir in France). A seductive nose of cherry and raspberry blend with a nice mineral and fruity flavor in the mouth. The wine is perfect for heavy fish dishes, pork and veal. To get maximum benefit should the wine drunk by 16-17 degrees.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it's not too outrageous when you consider that it's hard to find an Ontario pinot noir for less than $40.

posted Hide Post
http://www.vintages.com/circul...oads/publication.pdf

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 733 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it's not too outrageous when you consider that it's hard to find an Ontario pinot noir for less than $40.

It's still outrageous, as is the fact you can't find an Ontario pinot noir for fewer than $40.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone see anything worth purchasing in this release?

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 260 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pickings are slim.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 733 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I'll probably try the Prior Pons.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went into the Laird St LCBO yesterday and their Vintages section looked like Mother Hubbard's cupboard - nothng left to sell. So the 19th release is going out on the floor on Monday as soon as the truck pulls in.

Too bad there's hardly anything I want to buy... LOL

Posts: 5141 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have the itch, do ya?

Posts: 1692 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

It's still outrageous, as is the fact you can't find an Ontario pinot noir for fewer than $40.

I agree. That's the point I was trying to make. I think it's actually more outrageous that Ontario producers making pinot don't make anything I've been impressed by for under $40, and I could still find one from another country that's better and cheaper. I haven't been able to find any bargains in my own country.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
have the itch, do ya?

Itchy yes, but not for the stuff available in the January releases.

Anyone know when the next Classics catalogue is due. Is it February?

posted Hide Post
I just decided to answer my own question. - The next order deadline is February 5th, so the catalogue must be coming very soon.

The product list is online if you do a little snooping.

posted Hide Post
Another Chapoutier Aussie comes out this week.

Domaine Tournon Shays Flat Shiraz 2010 $29

Wonder if it will be as good as the Malakoff?

posted Hide Post
I can confirm that the Prior Pons is a very good wine. 14.5% but not a trace of heat.

posted Hide Post
Have you opened the Malakoff yet? How did you find it?

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 260 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:

No I have not open one yet. Just going off the reviews on CT. Wine Canuck recently posted notes. I bought the Tournon and am looking to do a comparison in the future. Really enjoy N.Rhone Chapoutier. From the notes on the Malakoff, it's more N.Rhone than fruit bomb Aussie.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:

No I have not open one yet. Just going off the reviews on CT. Wine Canuck recently posted notes. I bought the Tournon and am looking to do a comparison in the future. Really enjoy N.Rhone Chapoutier. From the notes on the Malakoff, it's more N.Rhone than fruit bomb Aussie.

My notes in CT from December 22...

A stellar night of a couple of 94 pointers, this along with the 2005 Elderton Command were both stunning wines, this was definitely from a cooler climate and had subtle freshness and complexity over the Command and although I scored them the same, this had a very slight edge, and was over $30 cheaper to boot - Dark, full bodied with a nose of raspberry, blueberry, plum, spice, pepper vanilla, amazing acidity, very well structured, complex and balanced with years to go, sweet, vibrant and intense on the palate with excellent length, a great wine! (94 Points). (402 views)

Wonderful stuff, sort of started a mini revival for me in terms of Oz..

- Ian

Posts: 174 | Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada | Registered: Apr 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, the 2007 Caprili Brunello di Montalcino is really, really nice. Maybe not 94 points right now, but it might get there with age.

Posts: 10916 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post