WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Happy New Year and remembering 2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy New Year and remembering 2012
 Login/Join 
posted
Happy New Year to everyone on the boards.

May 2013 bring you all the things you wish for yourselves.

Last year was an interesting year. Catastrophe struck weather wise with tsunamis and Hurricane Sandy. There were devasting events with individuals with mental health issues and guns.
There were hockey lock outs and suicide in sport.

There were also personal triumphs for many on these boards including weddings, anniversaries, childbirth and grandchild birth. People graduated and retired. Many overcame personal health issues and are now living happily anf grateful to the healthcare systems.

Personally, I made many new friends both local and international. I met many new TWC members at offlines, and a special offline hosted by mangiare. I also had the great fortune to befriend a tremendous group from Austin, Texas.
In the fall, with many members of our local wine community, we hosted TPE wine drinker. Some members helped me procur and ship wines to my relatives throughout the USA. Thank you all.

For those of you who are still lurking or ambivalent to attend an offline, I recommend the following: make an effort to go out to an offline. Don't be afraid that you lack knowledge. Don't feel bad if your cellar lacks the depth of others. Don't think that forumites will be judgemental. Don't feel that you have little to add to the conversation. Go out, meet people, have fun, and enjoy the true benevolence, generosity and good nature that is the foundation of the love of food and wine.

In 2013, I hope to see old friends (and you ALL know who you are) and make new ones. There are still many on these boards that I have not had the good fortune to meet. To you, I wish that our paths would cross and we can share food, wine and stories.

I wish you all a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoktaP,

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5816 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice thoughts. Count me in as one who has always felt like I'd be the least in the group at an off-line. Which is funny because a lot of people think I'm the "expert."

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year.
And hope that we may cross path in the future DoktaP.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extremely well said Dok, and I would reply with the same well wishes for you and yours, as well as everyone else here.

2012 was fantastic in so many ways. I made many new friends from this community, including the "infamous" TWC. That offline and other local gatherings we were so blessed to attend in July were amazing, plus my wife was able to see and experience the friendship, fun and generosity I've found from the folks on these boards, and finally understands why I spend time here. That trip, combined with all the other opportunities to spend time and tip glasses with other friends on the boards were fabulous and I appreciate each one of you so much.

2012 also presented a milestone for me I never thought would happen. Through the urging and generosity of so many, and the tasting notes from so many more, I finally started actively pursuing French wine. For many reasons, some silly and some not, I've always steered clear but there's just too much greatness out there for me to continue being stubborn. Thanks to everyone who twisted my arm (sometimes literally).

I echo DoktaP's comments to anyone who has hesitated about offlines or getting more involved in this community than just the boards. I was, and to a large extent still am, that guy he describes in that my cellar and my palate aren't nearly as big or developed as many, but I have to say they've grown exponentially since I started getting active. More importantly, I've met and befriended a HUGE number of unbelievable people, and I'm just getting started. I highly recommend anyone who's remotely interested do the same.

Finally, if anyone here is ever in the Austin area, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'd love to humbly return the hospitality so many of you have shown me. Cheers and best wishes to all of you for a wonderful 2013!

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1966 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same to you, Dok, and everyone else!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36985 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big +1.

A woman with whom I went to law school became a judge about 4 years ago. It was a lifetime professional goal of hers and she was very good.
But, she passed away a few weeks ago from cancer.
So, I have decided to take more vacations and enjoy myself more this year. More golf. More wine. More hugs of family.

Happy 2013 to all.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy 2013 to all! My resolution is to spend more time with family especially my dad who is recovering from cancer surgery.

Posts: 9482 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:
Thanks for the nice thoughts. Count me in as one who has always felt like I'd be the least in the group at an off-line. Which is funny because a lot of people think I'm the "expert."

+1. Along with 'Expert' you can thrown in 'Geek' or in rare case 'Snob'. If only people knew how limited my knowledge and pallet is compared to many on these boards.

That being said, I attended my first offline this year, and it was a night that won't soon be forgotten. My wife was hesitant to drive 6 hours to show up at the home of someone that I had never met (although she jumped at the night away from the kids!). "Honey, I don't think a serial killer would know this much about SQN and Champagne..." Roll Eyes
By the end of the night, we were inviting everyone to our place for the next offline.

Look forward to more offlines in 2013, and getting to know more of you gracious people.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 992 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What beautiful post from my twin brother, thanks Dok. Cool

While 2011 was a very difficult year for me, ( lost my best friend, 3 other friends and my dad on Thanksgiving) 2012 was as good of a year as can be for me and my family.

One of my daughters completed her Ph.D, was offered a 7 year tenure program, complete freedom to develop her own courses and only teaches one day a week so much time for research, publishing and lecturing abroad. She also became engaged this holiday season to a young man we adore. Our other daughter blessed our lives with our first grandchild four weeks ago, received a huge promotion at work and built their new mega home only 30 minutes from our home, so very easy to see our precious grandchild very very often.

I took my mom to Italy for 21 days ( her first trip ever out of the U.S.) and we had the time of our lives. We did it right in every way, never saw a cloudy day or a day over 78. My mom still talks about the trip to everyone everyday.

D and I finally started getting serious about where to buy a second home ( sold off lake house when kids went to college) and spent an entire month in Santa Fe getting a feel for the town, bought two great pieces of art and fell into the slower pace of life rather quickly.

This year also celebrates the 15 year anniversary for the love of my life being cancer free. I had a surprise party for her last week ( will post the very special wines soon) and the stories shared by so many will be something I will take to my grave. A very special evening for all included.

I have no idea what 2013 will bring, but 2012 can never be taken away from me.

Well wishes and blessing to all in 2013.

w+a

Posts: 30279 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012 was a great year personally and professionally for my wife and me. My dad had a rough go of it (broke his ankle pretty bad at work!), but he is on the mend and getting better. Everyone else in the fam is happy and healthy which is all you can hope for.

I had the pleasure to meet a few more forum members this year in Vegas which was great fun and Mr. Gigabit came out to OC for a fun dinner. As DoktaP said, the generosity of the people on this forum and in the wine community in general is really astonishing. Hope to meet some new faces next year and finally catch up to my wife who has met more people than I have on this forum!

Posts: 6558 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Mr. Gigabit came out to OC for a fun dinner.

Damn, Glenn, I know I'm older than you, but... Ack Big Grin

I look forward to sharing more wine with you and your lovely wife and, next time, swinging the sticks. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent retrospective post, Dok.

2012: With most everyone healthy and happy, there's not much to complain about. Life is pretty good. Didn't meet anyone 'new' this year but it was great to continue friendships with many. It was great to see gkapoor, Mrs Glenn K, Longboarder (twice), DoktaP, basecadet, PurpleHaze (twice) and always the local gang here in Montreal which are a very special bunch indeed. We're not 'wine buddies' anymore but truly very close friends that I appreciate deeply. Memories: More than I could hope for and lots of laughs (which I cherish highly)!

I wish the very best to you all for a grand 2013. Winner

Posts: 15622 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely expressed sentiments, Dok!

All the best in the New Year to all of you and those you hold special.

Cheers!

Posts: 8575 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad we could share a glass this year Dok...very well said.

I've seen more of 2012 than any other year due to the birth of my second daughter in January. We were blessed with a non-sleeper. It's shocking how almost one year later this is normal to us.

My wife and I are truly blessed with kids that keep on giving and 4 grandparents that adore them within a 10 minute drive. It's truly amazing to see your own parents with your children.

This board has been an invaluable source of information. I've met many people whom I now call friends. Thank you all for enriching more than just the wine journey.

Since we're speaking about 2012, I also have to throw out a mention to Toronto. This city is on fire. Seeing the hardships of other places in the modern world, we are extremely fortunate to be experiencing the growth and stability that allows us to be prosperous. Let's hope it continues for another 10-15. Wink

All the best to everyone in 2013.

Posts: 1716 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year all!!

My new duties at school haven't allowed me to be around much this past year, but I will always appreciate the advice, laughs, and most importantly, friendship that I have received from this board over the years.

Cheers to you all!!

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
friends, family and forumites, a healthy and happy new year to you all.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12355 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well stated DoktaP and everyone else. For 2013 it will be my goal to be a better person the day after any given one but not at the expense of wasting what`s left of the current day.

My bubbly showed up tonight and my cork cleared the pool easily yet no drops were spilled! So far 2013 so good.

As for what to eat and drink my direction is towards biodynamic models, just trying to cream the best of organic and nonorganic knowledge and then see what it does for the quality of my meals and drink, those of others certainly too.

Prospero Ano Mundo! Smile

Posts: 1694 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing nothing but the best to DoktaP and all other forumites in 2013.

Drink well, my friends.

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1714 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
This year also celebrates the 15 year anniversary for the love of my life being cancer free.

Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the New Year wishes to all on the boards. I hope 2013 is a healthy and happy year for all.

2012 brought personal and family health challenges right out of the gate and throughout the year. Time spent with forumites made for many memorable moments and experiences. It was great meeting new wine friends from south of the border: WineDoc, Vino Bevo, Aphilla, and TPE. I feel fortunate to have been able to meet and get to know each of you and look forward more times together in future.

Special thanks to the TWC for a year of exceptional camaraderie, wines, and dinners.

Posts: 1952 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012 was a pretty good year. As we say at the hospital, another year above ground.

Hope everyone has a great 2013!

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post